Sign in with
Your question

What's the dumbest thing you've done with a vehicle?

Last response: in Cars
January 18, 2012 1:20:37 AM

After reading through the cars forums I thought this might be amusing . I've done way more dumb things with cars than I remember but a few shining ones stand out.
1. Teaching myself how to drift.
I learned wet highway intersections cannot be taken at 120kmph in a 1981 celica.
I also learned that same celica can take out the side of my parents neighbors garage pretty easily.

2. A 1978 nova four door does not make a good convertible when you take a plasma torch to it.
Also driving over top of it with a truck after isn't too smart because tires do not like sharp steel edges.

3. Surprisingly a 1987 toyota tercel does much better in a demolition derby than an AMC eagle. Also all the rear windows in a tercel break when you and four friends lift up the back end as high as you can, we were drunk for this one though.

4. I took my dads new suv offroading. It started pretty tame and had planned on keeping that way. But when I'm in a 4x4 and I see mud I get stupid. I sunk it over the hood. My dad was not impressed.

More about : dumbest thing vehicle

January 19, 2012 12:03:52 AM

Super mad at my girlfreind drove my 1968 Ford Galaxy a few miles in the left lane - could have hurt someone including myself.
Dave
January 19, 2012 12:27:18 AM

More important is that she could have wrecked a '68 Galaxy.
Related resources
January 20, 2012 2:18:55 PM

Blew out the coolant hoses in my first car (I was 16 and a dumbass) drove it for weeks, every few miles of driving in the red my passengers and myself would pop the hood and pack snow onto the engine......
February 10, 2012 1:47:17 AM

When I was younger and stupider (I'm about to turn 27 this year) I used to be into street racing and such. Probably the stupidest thing I did was finding out how fast my RSX would go one night while probably not legally drunk, at the very least enough that a police officer would not have been lenient I got my answer though, 137mph on I-81 between Plainsfield and Carlisle, PA. And now that I know, I have no desire to go there again. The car handled like a skateboard.
February 11, 2012 6:31:33 PM

My buddy did that about ten years ago in his moms bmw. It turns out someone had broken in to a store near where we started. The police tagged us near that at 160kmph in a 70kmph zone and called in thinking we were the suspects. My buddy eventually saw the flashing lights and pulled over. They had us spread out on the car with their guns drawn and everything. The cops figured out we weren't the thieves but towed the car and gave him a dangerous driving ticket. My buddies mom was not impressed when she found out by the police dropping us off.
February 14, 2012 7:23:53 AM

stillerfan15 said:
Super mad at my girlfreind drove my 1968 Ford Galaxy a few miles in the left lane - could have hurt someone including myself.
Dave

There is nothing wrong with driving on the left. Americans roads are just weird. :lol: 

Changing gear to D when the car is still going backward on its momentum.
February 14, 2012 7:49:55 AM

Pyree said:
There is nothing wrong with driving on the left. Americans roads are just weird. :lol: 

Changing gear to D when the car is still going backward on its momentum.

Ouch.. Thats harsh. Although most newer cars keep you from doing that. I had a 1997 Mercury Cougar and I was going down a hill, me thinking I was clever went to put it in neutral to save gas and accidentally put in reverse, the car actually shut off completely. I asked a friend about it who at the time was more knowledgeable about cars than I and he informed me it was a safety feature to keep morons like me from killing the transmission. :ouch: 
February 14, 2012 7:54:49 AM

It didn't kill the transmission (car still works normally afterward), so I guess the safety feature must be effective.
February 14, 2012 11:22:33 PM

Putting the car in neutral while going down a hill is actually worse for fuel economy as well. If you keep it in drive the engine will be fed no fuel at all because you have the drive train to keep the engine moving. If you put it in neutral the engine will need fuel to keep it going.
February 15, 2012 12:52:31 AM

wip99gt said:
Putting the car in neutral while going down a hill is actually worse for fuel economy as well. If you keep it in drive the engine will be fed no fuel at all because you have the drive train to keep the engine moving. If you put it in neutral the engine will need fuel to keep it going.

Yea, lol. I know that now. At the time I didn't. Now I know as much as the friend who told me that years back, more in some cases, he seeks my counseling when it a car project involves electrical wiring.

Man, I miss that Cougar tho. It was 30th Anniversary package, beautiful car, I'd have to say the nicest car I ever had. I ended up having it and then I bought the Acura I have now after I paid the Cougar off. God laid off and ended up selling it for 400 dollars, body was in great shape still but the transmission was shot (I swear unrelated to my whoopsie). I used to deliver newspapers on a motor route, all that stop and go is murder on Ford trannys.
February 16, 2012 12:47:08 AM

That sucks because those were great highway cars. My buddy had a '96 that we used to take to the mountains all the time. Not surprisingly his tranny went as well.
February 16, 2012 4:10:35 AM

wip99gt said:
That sucks because those were great highway cars. My buddy had a '96 that we used to take to the mountains all the time. Not surprisingly his tranny went as well.

Yea from what I understand the problem is in the shifting. (now transmissions I have limited knowledge in so I may have some technical terms off), but the problem has to do with it shifting soft. As you know, you hardly feel it in the car when it shifts gears, while thats comfortable on the people in the car, its murder on a transmission.

Well, the guy I sold it to was a mechanic and his wife wanted it. Funny, I originally bought it from a mechanic too who bought it for HIS wife, it was originally an Avis rental car, that guy gave me a huge folder full of receipts for everything he did to it, put a ton of money into it, his wife hated it and in 2 years they put 2,000 miles on it before I bought it.

At least the wife from mechanic number 2 actually wanted it, enough to haggle me down to $400. She was crazy bout a Mercury (yes, I realize how sad that is that I actually put that song on all my MP3 CDs I kept in my car)
February 16, 2012 11:29:06 PM

It's gotta be in the clutches then if soft shifting caused it. Just like people in a manual who ride the clutch pedal and burn their clutch up. It's just a guess because the only transmissions I've taken apart were a couple turbo 350s and some semi ones for school years ago.
May 14, 2012 10:55:42 AM

My girlfriend drove my lancer ck2 when she was drove unfortunately she pull the hand brake and drift the car I got shocked I will never ever going to give the car again.
May 16, 2012 12:38:48 AM

My friend pulled my ebrake on me once while I was driving. I was pissed and he thought it was hilarious. Five years later even if it's just me and him in my car he sits in the back seat. I find that hilarious and he hates it, I even still lock out his window controls. I hold grudges for a long time when it comes to messing with my vehicles.
May 26, 2012 2:32:15 AM

Drag Races in a field.

I hit a log, bounced up a foot high (97 Golf) and landed on a rock, tore the floor from the rear seat to the trunk in half.
My friend made it across the field (And hit a fence.)
And my friend's friend hit a gofer hole, lost control and smoked a tree. He walked out but the car (Hit on passenger side)
was trashed (94 Accord)

The good thing is, we all were wearing seatbelts, made sure the air bags worked, and had a fire extinguisher.
May 26, 2012 8:56:56 AM

Few kids were playing with all the switches in the vehicle and kept it on. I didnt notice that and drove the vehicle to a a long distance with the front lights on during the day time. Then a guy on the way informed and then i switched off.
May 29, 2012 12:21:46 AM

Sounds like it could have been a good time MrGoboka, until you all hit stuff of course. Whenever I did stupid stuff like that I always wore my hockey helmet.
May 31, 2012 2:44:01 PM

I took my stock 98 Acura RL mudding on a tractor trail during spring thaw and got it stuck up past the top of the bumper. I called all of my buddies with trucks and they had to collaberate to pull me out. Ended up having to tear my front bumper off to get to a solid piece of chassis.
June 1, 2012 12:05:44 AM

Yeah that happens. My little bro just sunk his Hilux in 3 feet of mud last night. Sucks about your bumper. Did you wreck it when you took it off?
June 1, 2012 6:25:15 AM

Hitting the curb on my rear wheel while turning right. It looks goofy.
June 2, 2012 12:02:27 AM

Pretty minor unless you're driving a really low car.
June 5, 2012 8:45:36 PM

wip99gt said:
Yeah that happens. My little bro just sunk his Hilux in 3 feet of mud last night. Sucks about your bumper. Did you wreck it when you took it off?

Yep, needed a new bumper and that paint was not cheap to match. That's for sure.
June 6, 2012 7:15:17 PM

nekulturny said:
Yea, lol. I know that now. At the time I didn't. Now I know as much as the friend who told me that years back, more in some cases, he seeks my counseling when it a car project involves electrical wiring.

Man, I miss that Cougar tho. It was 30th Anniversary package, beautiful car, I'd have to say the nicest car I ever had. I ended up having it and then I bought the Acura I have now after I paid the Cougar off. God laid off and ended up selling it for 400 dollars, body was in great shape still but the transmission was shot (I swear unrelated to my whoopsie). I used to deliver newspapers on a motor route, all that stop and go is murder on Ford trannys.

My first car was a '94 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Special Edition 4.6l V8. Had some sweet upgrades on her.

100k BTU tranny cooler.

Rebuilt tranny, J-modded, lube modded tail-shaft, high stall torque converter, rated for 400 HP.

Custom flashed ECU, '02 Mustang GT MAF and air intake.

Custom 2.25" true dual exhaust, with DI/DO magnaflow exhaust, no cats. Sounded soooooooo sweet. Nothing too loud, but she let you know whats up.

Some larger BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires.

Interior was stock (except new CD player) and in near-perfect shape, leather and cloth.

Man I loved that car. Some guy bought it off me for his daughter for college. I was doing a LOT of driving so I wanted something more fuel efficient. I really wish I would've kept her now. I contacted him a while back and let him know I'd buy it back if he ever wants to get rid of it.

:( 

On Topic: Dumbest thing I did was in my Cougar actually, like 9 years ago, summer after graduating high school. I was trying to impress my g/f and other friend in the car by getting the rear end "loose" in the rain. Rear wheel drive mind you. Ended up doing a 180 in the middle of town on a busy highway, facing oncoming traffic. Fortunately, no accident. Still... many bricks were shat that day.

June 7, 2012 1:19:19 AM

I can imagine. I'm guessing you didn't impress your girfriend.
Sounds like it was a nice car. I made the same mistake with buying a really fuel efficient car over the one I wanted once for the same reason. I regretted it as well.
June 12, 2012 1:55:56 PM

what we want and what is practical are normally two very different things. i could have easily went out and bought a mustang gt, charger, or other newage muscle car but 2 doors really aren't all that practical. i ended up with a 2.5 mazda 3 sedan and while it certainly has more pep than my previous cars it leaves something to be desired. however it was the smart choice and really doesnt look like a family car. the best choice is to have two cars but that isnt always practical for people on a limited budget.

if they ever bring back the mazdaspeed 6 sedan... i'm sold! regardless of the few issues i've had with mazda. i heard they were bringing it back in a year or two.

as far as the dumbest thing i've personally done?

a full e-brake slide through a two ninety degree turn s bend at 40mph with some gravel from a driveway out on the road. i pulled it off perfectly but i've never attempted anything like that since. you live you learn i guess.
!