City of Villains beta?

"mike allegretto" <rallegre@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
news:f1phh15fuh7g65frgr55rgmhh8gil183sj@4ax.com...
| Is the beta live yet for anyone?

Yes. But it only runs for a set number of hours per day.
The COV BETA Updater is seriously buggy though.

I cannot tell you any more than that.

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:46:08 GMT, mike allegretto <rallegre@stny.rr.com>
scribed into the ether:

Matt Frisch schrieb:
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:46:08 GMT, mike allegretto <rallegre@stny.rr.com>
> scribed into the ether:
>

>>Is the beta live yet for anyone?
>

> Yes.

Does anyone know why the European CoV beta is not live yet? It was
proposed to go live the same day as the US one.

~T.

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:21:25 +0200, Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch schrieb:
>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:46:08 GMT, mike allegretto <rallegre@stny.rr.com>
>> scribed into the ether:
>>

>>>Is the beta live yet for anyone?
>>

>> Yes.
>
>Does anyone know why the European CoV beta is not live yet? It was
>proposed to go live the same day as the US one.

It is by invite only, and currently they are handing out the invites based
on how long you've had an active CoH account. Most of the folks currently
in the closed beta have had active accounts for a year or more. Open beta
(if they have one at all) is likely a few months away.

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 10:43:43 GMT, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:21:25 +0200, Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>
>scribed into the ether:
>
>>Matt Frisch schrieb:
>>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:46:08 GMT, mike allegretto <rallegre@stny.rr.com>
>>> scribed into the ether:

>>> Yes.
>>
>>Does anyone know why the European CoV beta is not live yet? It was
>>proposed to go live the same day as the US one.
>
>It is by invite only, and currently they are handing out the invites based
>on how long you've had an active CoH account. Most of the folks currently
>in the closed beta have had active accounts for a year or more. Open beta
>(if they have one at all) is likely a few months away.

well i want to know because they say the game is suppossed to be on
the shelves in a couple of months! Also i bought the pre-order that is
supposed to give me access to the beta.

Matt Frisch schrieb:
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:21:25 +0200, Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>
> scribed into the ether:
>

>>Matt Frisch schrieb:
>>
>>>On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:46:08 GMT, mike allegretto <rallegre@stny.rr.com>
>>>scribed into the ether:

>>>Yes.
>>
>>Does anyone know why the European CoV beta is not live yet? It was
>>proposed to go live the same day as the US one.
>

> It is by invite only, and currently they are handing out the invites based
> on how long you've had an active CoH account. Most of the folks currently
> in the closed beta have had active accounts for a year or more. Open beta
> (if they have one at all) is likely a few months away.

The European beta is also by invite only and targeted at long term
subscribers first. In Europe that means if you're a CoH subscriber from
4th Feb 05 you should be in.

But we're not. Europeans getting 3rd class service again... :(

~T.

Thomas Adams wrote:

>> It is by invite only, and currently they are handing out the invites based
>> on how long you've had an active CoH account. Most of the folks currently
>> in the closed beta have had active accounts for a year or more. Open beta
>> (if they have one at all) is likely a few months away.
>
> The European beta is also by invite only and targeted at long term
> subscribers first. In Europe that means if you're a CoH subscriber from
> 4th Feb 05 you should be in.
>
> But we're not. Europeans getting 3rd class service again... :(

No even all the 12+ months US subscribers are in yet.

It's a pretty small beta population so far.

--
John Parkinson

"John Parkinson" <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote in message
> Thomas Adams wrote:
>
>>> It is by invite only, and currently they are handing out the invites
>>> based
>>> on how long you've had an active CoH account. Most of the folks
>>> currently
>>> in the closed beta have had active accounts for a year or more. Open
>>> beta
>>> (if they have one at all) is likely a few months away.
>>
>> The European beta is also by invite only and targeted at long term
>> subscribers first. In Europe that means if you're a CoH subscriber from
>> 4th Feb 05 you should be in.
>>
>> But we're not. Europeans getting 3rd class service again... :(
>
> No even all the 12+ months US subscribers are in yet.
>
> It's a pretty small beta population so far.

If it helps, I've been on the American servers since Dec '04 and they
haven't talked to me either.

It may not.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 30 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 26 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
Steel Night (M), Level 17 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
lmpact (F), Level 17 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
Pulsar Staraven (F), Level 16 Controller (Grav/Rad), Liberty
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 14 Controller (Mind/Empthy), Triumph
Faraday Facade (F), Level 14 Controller (Illusion/Forcefield), Justice

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 10:28:59 -0400, "George Johnson"
<matrix29@voyager.net> wrote:

> Yes. But it only runs for a set number of hours per day.
> The COV BETA Updater is seriously buggy though.
>
> I cannot tell you any more than that.

You cannot even tell that.

THe devs can remove you from the beta test for even as little as that.

Quantum Tarantino schrieb:

> On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 10:28:59 -0400, "George Johnson"
> <matrix29@voyager.net> wrote:
>

>> Yes. But it only runs for a set number of hours per day.
>> The COV BETA Updater is seriously buggy though.
>>
>> I cannot tell you any more than that.
>

> You cannot even tell that.
>
> THe devs can remove you from the beta test for even as little as that.

Ok, let's summarize. The updater is buggy and you can only play so many
hours a day. Is that different from all other early game betas you know?
Don't think so.

~T.

> well i want to know because they say the game is suppossed to be
> on the shelves in a couple of months! Also i bought the pre-order
> that is supposed to give me access to the beta.

The pre-Order beta is the period right before release (and the 2 or 3
days) before the server opens to the public.

In the CoH beta, IIRC, those that were in the closed and open beta had
only those two days on the 'real' game as their characters and
everything were wiped. The pre-release people had the choice for the
first 'hero' names on a reservation system, and there was a mad
scramble to get to lvl 10 so they could get their SG names first.

Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote in news:431b170f$0$24150
$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net:

> The European beta is also by invite only and targeted at long term
> subscribers first. In Europe that means if you're a CoH subscriber from
> 4th Feb 05 you should be in.
>
> But we're not. Europeans getting 3rd class service again... :(

Or, it could just mean that no-one you have talked to on the European
boards is willing to risk getting booted from the beta.

>> You cannot even tell that.
>>
>> THe devs can remove you from the beta test for even as little as that.
>
> Ok, let's summarize. The updater is buggy and you can only play so many
> hours a day. Is that different from all other early game betas you know?
> Don't think so.

Doesn't matter what you think. Just as with the COH beta, it's a violation
of the NDA to even tell people that you're part of the beta test.

Doctor TOC

Doctor TOC <otherchris@erols.com> wrote:

>>> You cannot even tell that.
>>>
>>> THe devs can remove you from the beta test for even as little as that.
>>
>> Ok, let's summarize. The updater is buggy and you can only play so many
>> hours a day. Is that different from all other early game betas you know?
>> Don't think so.
>
> Doesn't matter what you think. Just as with the COH beta, it's a violation
> of the NDA to even tell people that you're part of the beta test.

Actually, that is incorrect. It's not *recommended* (CuppaJo and
Alexis have asked people not to post about their beta invites, as it
was just generating heat and jealousy), but it's not an NDA violation.
(I asked Alexa once about disclosing to non-beta people that beta
testers don't have any more information than any other player about
when the next wave of beta invites will come out, which necessarily
discloses that I *am* a beta tester, and she said that was perfectly
fine.)

Describing the operation of the beta client is, though (disclosure of
information about CoV software), and operating hours may be a gray
area, since it doesn't actually disclose any details about their
intellectual property and I think a dev publicly disclosed that little
factoid already (making it fair game), but it's not really something
you should be talking about as a general principle.

--
Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.

Doctor TOC <otherchris@erols.com> wrote:
>>> You cannot even tell that.
>>>
>>> THe devs can remove you from the beta test for even as little as that.
>>
>> Ok, let's summarize. The updater is buggy and you can only play so many
>> hours a day. Is that different from all other early game betas you know?
>> Don't think so.
>
>Doesn't matter what you think. Just as with the COH beta, it's a violation
>of the NDA to even tell people that you're part of the beta test.

The first rule of COV Beta is you do not talk about COV Beta.
The second rule of COV Beta is you DO NOT TALK about COV Beta.

-R :)

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / doc@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

Rob Wynne <doc@america.net> wrote:
> The first rule of COV Beta is you do not talk about COV Beta.
> The second rule of COV Beta is you DO NOT TALK about COV Beta.

As anyone who participates in such betas is per force not quite raht in the
haid, no problem. :)

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:03:38 GMT, "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> scribed
into the ether:

>"John Parkinson" <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote in message

>>> The European beta is also by invite only and targeted at long term
>>> subscribers first. In Europe that means if you're a CoH subscriber from
>>> 4th Feb 05 you should be in.
>>>
>>> But we're not. Europeans getting 3rd class service again... :(
>>
>> No even all the 12+ months US subscribers are in yet.
>>
>> It's a pretty small beta population so far.
>
>If it helps, I've been on the American servers since Dec '04 and they
>haven't talked to me either.

Which is substantially less than a year, and people with over a year have
still not received their invite.

I got mine a while ago...I logged in once for about a half hour, and
haven't been back. Technically, that's an NDA violation I guess, but not
like I care if they yank my beta account. CoV just holds absolutely zero
interest for me. I never asked or wanted to be in the beta.

Matt Frisch schrieb:

> I got mine a while ago...I logged in once for about a half hour, and
> haven't been back. Technically, that's an NDA violation I guess, but not
> like I care if they yank my beta account. CoV just holds absolutely zero
> interest for me. I never asked or wanted to be in the beta.

Can I borrow your account then for a day or so please? ;-)

~T.

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:33:06 +0200, Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch schrieb:
>
>> I got mine a while ago...I logged in once for about a half hour, and
>> haven't been back. Technically, that's an NDA violation I guess, but not
>> like I care if they yank my beta account. CoV just holds absolutely zero
>> interest for me. I never asked or wanted to be in the beta.
>
>Can I borrow your account then for a day or so please? ;-)

Sorry, it is tied to my real CoH account, so no.

Matt Frisch schrieb:
> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:33:06 +0200, Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>
> scribed into the ether:
>

>>Matt Frisch schrieb:
>>

>>>I got mine a while ago...I logged in once for about a half hour, and
>>>haven't been back. Technically, that's an NDA violation I guess, but not
>>>like I care if they yank my beta account. CoV just holds absolutely zero
>>>interest for me. I never asked or wanted to be in the beta.
>>
>>Can I borrow your account then for a day or so please? ;-)
>

> Sorry, it is tied to my real CoH account, so no.

Now that you mention it... Gee, that was supposed to be funny, hence the
smiley.

~T.

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 23:40:11 +0200, Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch schrieb:
>> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:33:06 +0200, Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>
>> scribed into the ether:

>>>Can I borrow your account then for a day or so please? ;-)
>>

>> Sorry, it is tied to my real CoH account, so no.
>
>Now that you mention it... Gee, that was supposed to be funny, hence the
>smiley.

Response was also for the lurkers in our audience who might think to send
me annoying email to which I would have to respond with great invective.

If you bought CoH in preorder or at release, and stopped playing a
while ago, you can get in CoV beta by just reactivating your account.
The way they send invites is in order of account age (regardless if you
only played it for one month). Of course, you'll have to wait for the
3rd wave of beta invites

Well, then in that case, their program to make selections is bugged in
the 12 month thing