City of Villains beta?

Is the beta live yet for anyone?
30 answers Last reply
More about city villains beta
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "mike allegretto" <rallegre@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
    | Is the beta live yet for anyone?

    Yes. But it only runs for a set number of hours per day.
    The COV BETA Updater is seriously buggy though.

    I cannot tell you any more than that.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:46:08 GMT, mike allegretto <rallegre@stny.rr.com>
    scribed into the ether:

    >Is the beta live yet for anyone?

    Yes.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Matt Frisch schrieb:
    > On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:46:08 GMT, mike allegretto <rallegre@stny.rr.com>
    > scribed into the ether:
    >

    >>Is the beta live yet for anyone?
    >

    > Yes.

    Does anyone know why the European CoV beta is not live yet? It was
    proposed to go live the same day as the US one.

    ~T.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:21:25 +0200, Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>
    scribed into the ether:

    >Matt Frisch schrieb:
    >> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:46:08 GMT, mike allegretto <rallegre@stny.rr.com>
    >> scribed into the ether:
    >>

    >>>Is the beta live yet for anyone?
    >>

    >> Yes.
    >
    >Does anyone know why the European CoV beta is not live yet? It was
    >proposed to go live the same day as the US one.

    It is by invite only, and currently they are handing out the invites based
    on how long you've had an active CoH account. Most of the folks currently
    in the closed beta have had active accounts for a year or more. Open beta
    (if they have one at all) is likely a few months away.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 10:43:43 GMT, Matt Frisch
    <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:21:25 +0200, Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>
    >scribed into the ether:
    >
    >>Matt Frisch schrieb:
    >>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:46:08 GMT, mike allegretto <rallegre@stny.rr.com>
    >>> scribed into the ether:

    >>> Yes.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know why the European CoV beta is not live yet? It was
    >>proposed to go live the same day as the US one.
    >
    >It is by invite only, and currently they are handing out the invites based
    >on how long you've had an active CoH account. Most of the folks currently
    >in the closed beta have had active accounts for a year or more. Open beta
    >(if they have one at all) is likely a few months away.

    well i want to know because they say the game is suppossed to be on
    the shelves in a couple of months! Also i bought the pre-order that is
    supposed to give me access to the beta.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Matt Frisch schrieb:
    > On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:21:25 +0200, Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>
    > scribed into the ether:
    >

    >>Matt Frisch schrieb:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:46:08 GMT, mike allegretto <rallegre@stny.rr.com>
    >>>scribed into the ether:

    >>>Yes.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know why the European CoV beta is not live yet? It was
    >>proposed to go live the same day as the US one.
    >

    > It is by invite only, and currently they are handing out the invites based
    > on how long you've had an active CoH account. Most of the folks currently
    > in the closed beta have had active accounts for a year or more. Open beta
    > (if they have one at all) is likely a few months away.

    The European beta is also by invite only and targeted at long term
    subscribers first. In Europe that means if you're a CoH subscriber from
    4th Feb 05 you should be in.

    But we're not. Europeans getting 3rd class service again... :(

    ~T.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Thomas Adams wrote:

    >> It is by invite only, and currently they are handing out the invites based
    >> on how long you've had an active CoH account. Most of the folks currently
    >> in the closed beta have had active accounts for a year or more. Open beta
    >> (if they have one at all) is likely a few months away.
    >
    > The European beta is also by invite only and targeted at long term
    > subscribers first. In Europe that means if you're a CoH subscriber from
    > 4th Feb 05 you should be in.
    >
    > But we're not. Europeans getting 3rd class service again... :(

    No even all the 12+ months US subscribers are in yet.

    It's a pretty small beta population so far.

    --
    John Parkinson
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "John Parkinson" <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote in message
    > Thomas Adams wrote:
    >
    >>> It is by invite only, and currently they are handing out the invites
    >>> based
    >>> on how long you've had an active CoH account. Most of the folks
    >>> currently
    >>> in the closed beta have had active accounts for a year or more. Open
    >>> beta
    >>> (if they have one at all) is likely a few months away.
    >>
    >> The European beta is also by invite only and targeted at long term
    >> subscribers first. In Europe that means if you're a CoH subscriber from
    >> 4th Feb 05 you should be in.
    >>
    >> But we're not. Europeans getting 3rd class service again... :(
    >
    > No even all the 12+ months US subscribers are in yet.
    >
    > It's a pretty small beta population so far.

    If it helps, I've been on the American servers since Dec '04 and they
    haven't talked to me either.

    It may not.

    --
    John Trauger,
    Vorlonagent

    "Methane martini.
    Shaken, not stirred."

    chat: @vorlonagent

    Vorlonagent (M), level 30 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
    RolIing Thunder (F), Level 26 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
    NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
    Steel Night (M), Level 17 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
    lmpact (F), Level 17 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
    MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
    Pulsar Staraven (F), Level 16 Controller (Grav/Rad), Liberty
    Girl at the Bar (F), Level 14 Controller (Mind/Empthy), Triumph
    Faraday Facade (F), Level 14 Controller (Illusion/Forcefield), Justice
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 10:28:59 -0400, "George Johnson"
    <matrix29@voyager.net> wrote:

    > Yes. But it only runs for a set number of hours per day.
    > The COV BETA Updater is seriously buggy though.
    >
    > I cannot tell you any more than that.

    You cannot even tell that.

    THe devs can remove you from the beta test for even as little as that.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Quantum Tarantino schrieb:

    > On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 10:28:59 -0400, "George Johnson"
    > <matrix29@voyager.net> wrote:
    >

    >> Yes. But it only runs for a set number of hours per day.
    >> The COV BETA Updater is seriously buggy though.
    >>
    >> I cannot tell you any more than that.
    >

    > You cannot even tell that.
    >
    > THe devs can remove you from the beta test for even as little as that.

    Ok, let's summarize. The updater is buggy and you can only play so many
    hours a day. Is that different from all other early game betas you know?
    Don't think so.

    ~T.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    > well i want to know because they say the game is suppossed to be
    > on the shelves in a couple of months! Also i bought the pre-order
    > that is supposed to give me access to the beta.

    The pre-Order beta is the period right before release (and the 2 or 3
    days) before the server opens to the public.

    In the CoH beta, IIRC, those that were in the closed and open beta had
    only those two days on the 'real' game as their characters and
    everything were wiped. The pre-release people had the choice for the
    first 'hero' names on a reservation system, and there was a mad
    scramble to get to lvl 10 so they could get their SG names first.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote in news:431b170f$0$24150
    $9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net:

    > The European beta is also by invite only and targeted at long term
    > subscribers first. In Europe that means if you're a CoH subscriber from
    > 4th Feb 05 you should be in.
    >
    > But we're not. Europeans getting 3rd class service again... :(

    Or, it could just mean that no-one you have talked to on the European
    boards is willing to risk getting booted from the beta.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    >> You cannot even tell that.
    >>
    >> THe devs can remove you from the beta test for even as little as that.
    >
    > Ok, let's summarize. The updater is buggy and you can only play so many
    > hours a day. Is that different from all other early game betas you know?
    > Don't think so.

    Doesn't matter what you think. Just as with the COH beta, it's a violation
    of the NDA to even tell people that you're part of the beta test.

    Doctor TOC
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Doctor TOC <otherchris@erols.com> wrote:

    >>> You cannot even tell that.
    >>>
    >>> THe devs can remove you from the beta test for even as little as that.
    >>
    >> Ok, let's summarize. The updater is buggy and you can only play so many
    >> hours a day. Is that different from all other early game betas you know?
    >> Don't think so.
    >
    > Doesn't matter what you think. Just as with the COH beta, it's a violation
    > of the NDA to even tell people that you're part of the beta test.

    Actually, that is incorrect. It's not *recommended* (CuppaJo and
    Alexis have asked people not to post about their beta invites, as it
    was just generating heat and jealousy), but it's not an NDA violation.
    (I asked Alexa once about disclosing to non-beta people that beta
    testers don't have any more information than any other player about
    when the next wave of beta invites will come out, which necessarily
    discloses that I *am* a beta tester, and she said that was perfectly
    fine.)

    Describing the operation of the beta client is, though (disclosure of
    information about CoV software), and operating hours may be a gray
    area, since it doesn't actually disclose any details about their
    intellectual property and I think a dev publicly disclosed that little
    factoid already (making it fair game), but it's not really something
    you should be talking about as a general principle.

    --
    Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org>
    PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.

    Doctor TOC <otherchris@erols.com> wrote:
    >>> You cannot even tell that.
    >>>
    >>> THe devs can remove you from the beta test for even as little as that.
    >>
    >> Ok, let's summarize. The updater is buggy and you can only play so many
    >> hours a day. Is that different from all other early game betas you know?
    >> Don't think so.
    >
    >Doesn't matter what you think. Just as with the COH beta, it's a violation
    >of the NDA to even tell people that you're part of the beta test.

    The first rule of COV Beta is you do not talk about COV Beta.
    The second rule of COV Beta is you DO NOT TALK about COV Beta.

    -R :)

    --
    Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / doc@america.net
    http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

    Rob Wynne <doc@america.net> wrote:
    > The first rule of COV Beta is you do not talk about COV Beta.
    > The second rule of COV Beta is you DO NOT TALK about COV Beta.

    As anyone who participates in such betas is per force not quite raht in the
    haid, no problem. :)

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:03:38 GMT, "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> scribed
    into the ether:

    >"John Parkinson" <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote in message

    >>> The European beta is also by invite only and targeted at long term
    >>> subscribers first. In Europe that means if you're a CoH subscriber from
    >>> 4th Feb 05 you should be in.
    >>>
    >>> But we're not. Europeans getting 3rd class service again... :(
    >>
    >> No even all the 12+ months US subscribers are in yet.
    >>
    >> It's a pretty small beta population so far.
    >
    >If it helps, I've been on the American servers since Dec '04 and they
    >haven't talked to me either.

    Which is substantially less than a year, and people with over a year have
    still not received their invite.

    I got mine a while ago...I logged in once for about a half hour, and
    haven't been back. Technically, that's an NDA violation I guess, but not
    like I care if they yank my beta account. CoV just holds absolutely zero
    interest for me. I never asked or wanted to be in the beta.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Matt Frisch schrieb:

    > I got mine a while ago...I logged in once for about a half hour, and
    > haven't been back. Technically, that's an NDA violation I guess, but not
    > like I care if they yank my beta account. CoV just holds absolutely zero
    > interest for me. I never asked or wanted to be in the beta.

    Can I borrow your account then for a day or so please? ;-)

    ~T.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:33:06 +0200, Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>
    scribed into the ether:

    >Matt Frisch schrieb:
    >
    >> I got mine a while ago...I logged in once for about a half hour, and
    >> haven't been back. Technically, that's an NDA violation I guess, but not
    >> like I care if they yank my beta account. CoV just holds absolutely zero
    >> interest for me. I never asked or wanted to be in the beta.
    >
    >Can I borrow your account then for a day or so please? ;-)

    Sorry, it is tied to my real CoH account, so no.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Matt Frisch schrieb:
    > On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:33:06 +0200, Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>
    > scribed into the ether:
    >

    >>Matt Frisch schrieb:
    >>

    >>>I got mine a while ago...I logged in once for about a half hour, and
    >>>haven't been back. Technically, that's an NDA violation I guess, but not
    >>>like I care if they yank my beta account. CoV just holds absolutely zero
    >>>interest for me. I never asked or wanted to be in the beta.
    >>
    >>Can I borrow your account then for a day or so please? ;-)
    >

    > Sorry, it is tied to my real CoH account, so no.

    Now that you mention it... Gee, that was supposed to be funny, hence the
    smiley.

    ~T.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 23:40:11 +0200, Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>
    scribed into the ether:

    >Matt Frisch schrieb:
    >> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:33:06 +0200, Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>
    >> scribed into the ether:

    >>>Can I borrow your account then for a day or so please? ;-)
    >>

    >> Sorry, it is tied to my real CoH account, so no.
    >
    >Now that you mention it... Gee, that was supposed to be funny, hence the
    >smiley.

    Response was also for the lurkers in our audience who might think to send
    me annoying email to which I would have to respond with great invective.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    If you bought CoH in preorder or at release, and stopped playing a
    while ago, you can get in CoV beta by just reactivating your account.
    The way they send invites is in order of account age (regardless if you
    only played it for one month). Of course, you'll have to wait for the
    3rd wave of beta invites
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Well, then in that case, their program to make selections is bugged in
    the 12 month thing

    John Parkinson wrote:
    > wolfing wrote:
    > > If you bought CoH in preorder or at release, and stopped playing a
    > > while ago, you can get in CoV beta by just reactivating your account.
    > > The way they send invites is in order of account age (regardless if you
    > > only played it for one month). Of course, you'll have to wait for the
    > > 3rd wave of beta invites
    >
    > They don't send them by account age. It's just random from the big pot of
    > everyone who's got more that 12 PAID months.
    >
    > Many people with accounts from CoH beta still aren't in.
    >
    > And the 3rd wave isn't going to be enough to cover everyone, given Alexa
    > used the plural when talking about invites post the 2nd wave.
    >
    > --
    > John Parkinson
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    wolfing wrote:
    > If you bought CoH in preorder or at release, and stopped playing a
    > while ago, you can get in CoV beta by just reactivating your account.
    > The way they send invites is in order of account age (regardless if you
    > only played it for one month). Of course, you'll have to wait for the
    > 3rd wave of beta invites

    They don't send them by account age. It's just random from the big pot of
    everyone who's got more that 12 PAID months.

    Many people with accounts from CoH beta still aren't in.

    And the 3rd wave isn't going to be enough to cover everyone, given Alexa
    used the plural when talking about invites post the 2nd wave.

    --
    John Parkinson
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1126617060.154394.150570
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > If you bought CoH in preorder or at release, and stopped playing a
    > while ago, you can get in CoV beta by just reactivating your account.
    > The way they send invites is in order of account age (regardless if you
    > only played it for one month). Of course, you'll have to wait for the
    > 3rd wave of beta invites

    Nope, they use time paid and played. If the peson has owned CoH since
    release, but only played for 6 months, they only get credit for 6 months.
    If, however, you are like me and got it in august, stopped playing in March
    but never got around to cancelling your account, you get the credit for the
    whole time. I think I made it in under the 12 month time limit, but will
    wait and see if I get a beta-invite.

    --
    Marcel
    http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

    Quantum Tarantino wrote:
    > On 13 Sep 2005 07:33:31 -0700, "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Well, then in that case, their program to make selections is bugged in
    > >the 12 month thing
    > >

    > No, it isnt.
    Hmm... let's see.
    Account activation: April 04
    Account cancelled: November 04. 7 months
    Account reactivation: September 05. 10 days

    I would say it's well under 12 months
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On 13 Sep 2005 07:33:31 -0700, "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Well, then in that case, their program to make selections is bugged in
    >the 12 month thing

    No, it isnt.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    | Quantum Tarantino wrote:
    | > On 13 Sep 2005 07:33:31 -0700, "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    | >
    | > >Well, then in that case, their program to make selections is bugged in
    | > >the 12 month thing
    | > >

    | > No, it isnt.
    | Hmm... let's see.
    | Account activation: April 04
    | Account cancelled: November 04. 7 months
    | Account reactivation: September 05. 10 days
    |
    | I would say it's well under 12 months

    One minor problem I read was that using the COH DVD upgrade would reset
    the activation date and invalidate folks from being in the CoV Beta even if
    they have accounts with 12 months of usage in them.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1126651429.909638.171700
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > Quantum Tarantino wrote:
    >> On 13 Sep 2005 07:33:31 -0700, "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Well, then in that case, their program to make selections is bugged in
    >> >the 12 month thing
    >> >

    >> No, it isnt.
    > Hmm... let's see.
    > Account activation: April 04
    > Account cancelled: November 04. 7 months
    > Account reactivation: September 05. 10 days
    >
    > I would say it's well under 12 months

    Take this for what it is worth, but when accusations of this were brought
    forward to CuppaJo on the official forums, every single case of someone
    getting into Beta who "wasn't supposed to" was either a case of the person
    actually being eligible for beta on time, or they were lieing about being
    in beta.

    --
    Marcel
    http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

    On 2005-09-14, George Johnson <matrix29@voyager.net> wrote:
    > "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >| Quantum Tarantino wrote:
    >| > >

    >| > No, it isnt.
    >| Hmm... let's see.
    >| Account activation: April 04
    >| Account cancelled: November 04. 7 months
    >| Account reactivation: September 05. 10 days
    >|
    >| I would say it's well under 12 months
    >
    > One minor problem I read was that using the COH DVD upgrade would reset
    > the activation date and invalidate folks from being in the CoV Beta even if
    > they have accounts with 12 months of usage in them.

    Untrue.

    --
    --- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
    "Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of

Games Video Games