network only works w/ ipx??

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Hey, got a weird quesiton.

I'm on a dorm network, and I can see other computers just fine for gaming/sharing files. I had no weird protocols installed just the ones that XP installed by default.

A friend brought his computer over and at first I couldn't see him on the network, and couldn't even ping him. We tried something crazy and both installed the IPX protocol and we could see eachother just fine. But when I hopped on the network, I could now see nobody but him and this other guy on the network who I guess had ipx installed too.

Any help would be much appreciated

It's all good ^_^

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
To be honest I'm not sure. I've setup all my other computer that way and they seem to work fine. He's set to have his IP assigned automatically along with his DNS.

I'm confused, very confused :p

It's all good ^_^

toxic

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Make sure you're on the same subnet so you don't need a gateway.

Use cmd on your pc and write ipconfig /all. This will give you details on your ip address etc.

Do the same thing on his and compare. If you need to just see this guy on the network, force the ip's on both pc's to be on the same subnet.
Here's an example:

your pc's ip: 192.168.0.80
your pc's subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
his pc's ip: 192.168.0.90
his pc's subnetmask: 255.255.255.0

You should then be able to communicate.

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Thanks for all the info guys, it seems to be working just fine now. After I made sure we were on the same subnet, I took ipx off of his computer. We can now share files and game like we should have been able to in the first place

thx

It's all good ^_^