Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 not recognizing hard drive

Last response: in Windows 7
December 9, 2009 4:52:32 PM

OK. I have exhausted my knowledge and patience at this point. This is my first build:

WD Blue 640 GB (single HDD)
AMD Phenom ii
GA-MA785GM-US2H Gigabyte motherboard

It registers in BIOS, but not in the windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installation screen. Any questions I will answer RIGHT away. Oh dear God please help me. I took it in to a repair shop and I think I knew more than they did and left without any substantive help (but a $40 bill ). Do I need to format the HD? Would drivers help? All the websites say everything should be compatible - no problem - but nothing here. Heeeeeeeellpp!!!!!! : (
December 9, 2009 4:54:56 PM

Oh, and I'm doing a clean install.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2009 5:06:46 PM

I'll take a guess that you have the upgrade version and installing on a new drive.
Choose custom install then disk tools, create partition, then format and continue instalation.
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 9, 2009 5:15:13 PM

If RAID or AHCI mode has been enabled in the BIOS, you may need the AHCI/RAID drivers for your motherboard's RAID controller. Below is the page for your motherboard:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_M...

Download the drivers from the SATA RAID section, extract them and copy the extracted files to a flash drive. When you get to the section of Windows 7 setup where you partition the drives, click the Load Driver button and point the wizard to the flash drive. Your WD drive should now appear.
m
l
December 9, 2009 5:41:42 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm trying them now...
Is it normal for setup to take so bloody looooong ?
m
l
March 29, 2010 9:17:05 AM

Jonmor68 said:
I'll take a guess that you have the upgrade version and installing on a new drive.
Choose custom install then disk tools, create partition, then format and continue instalation.

*** off i hv same prob in my laptop, n gonna trhow my lappy.....

*** of dell................ they made me fooll........
m
l
April 4, 2010 3:59:44 PM

hey prophecy im having the same problem. im installing windows 7 on my brand new build. athlon 2 X4 gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H when i get to the install screen to where i want it no drives come up. do i need rivers or partitions. and when i format it it says no because it might be read only or not connected right. SOMEONE REPLY THANKS
m
l
April 5, 2010 6:51:18 PM

Hey guys, so i had the same problem with my i5 750 first build. You get to the display of what hard drive to use to partition it but there is no hard drive there, right?

I searched forums to figure this out and my final conclusion was its a hard drive problem. i was using a WD caviar blue 320 gb. So i went to the store bought a new one, and guess what. It worked. for some reason i dont know if its hard drive problems or windows 7 but return your new HD and try again and it should work. I have seen this problem on multiple threads and each ones conclusion ended up being RMA hard drive, or buy a new one. Yes i know its a bummer ona new build
m
l
!