Dead motherboard?

Spagiettos

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
So basically I ordered parts from newegg.

EVGA 750i SLi FTW
E8400
EVGA 9800GTX+
Corsair 4GB 1066 ram
WD 300GB Raptor
Corsair TX 750w PSU
Cooler master 690 case + CM 212 HSF

Built the PC, did all the wire management, blahblah. PC did not start up for more then half a second. Figured that it was a grounding issue and maybe there was a messed up screw. Took everything out, and booted up on an anti static surface, motherboard boots up perfectly with "FF" code but GPU does not send signal to either my 40" Bravia or my 24" Samsung monitor.

Decided to rebuild in the case, and see if that would help seat the GPU better. This time I made extra sure that there was no grounding issue. I go to boot up and motherboard doesn't budge. No start up of the fans, nothing. (Can't even get it to respond outside of the case like I could before)

The motherboard LED is on and indicates that power is being received but I can't get even get it turn on for a half of second. I contacted EVGA about the problem and he says said that the GPU was most likely DOA since it never sent a signal to any of my monitors (40" HDTV/24" Samsung/19" LCD[vga]). He also said that it is mostly like that the board is defective and I should RMA.

Now that being said I wanted to get a second opinion because honestly maybe I'm making the mistake. What are the odds of two EVGA products not working, (DOA GPU, Defective board)?

This isn't the first time I've built a PC but its been about 3years.

mford66215

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Second step is to be sure that you have two (really, 2) different leads from the power supply going into the motherboard. Ones going to be like you're used to, and the other is going to only have 4-6 wires for it..

Love that 690 case, we use them here at work because they're well built and quiet.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
mford66215 ment one 24 wire lead and one with 4 or 8 wires (usually this lead from the PSU has two four wire connectors that are clipped together to make 8). If the motherboard and your PSU support the 8 pin lead for the motherboard use it. Some boards come with a black cap over 4 of the plugs on the 8 pin connector and will work with only four but if the PSU has all 8 use them. Also make sure you have the proper leads connected to the video card.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Yea, the board in question here has a 24-pin main power connector and an 8-pin secondary power connector. Make sure both are connected, as well the power connector on your Video card. The EVGA tech support is correct in that what you're describing can be characteristic of a dead CPU, but it can also be characteristic of a dead motherboard. However, make sure all your power connectors are connected. And if you were grounding your motherboard, you shouldn't even be getting lights.

I'd try flushing all the power out of the PSU and try again. Just unplug the PSU from the wall, hit the power button on the front of your case a couple of times like you were turning on your computer, and then plug it back up. Turn it on, see what happens. Clearing CMOS like evongugg said can help sometimes too.

If you still get nothing, you really need a spare CPU and a spare motherboard to test as I think it's either of those two. Or a friend with spare parts ;) I'd be leaning more towards you board being bad, but it's a hard call to make without having other parts with which to test. You could at least take your GPU to a friend and pop it in to test it, just in case.

Spagiettos

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Sorrys guys, I edited my post. I said the EVGA support said that my CPU might be DOA, I ment to say GPU.

GPU Fan would turn on and power up but no signal to Monitor out side of the case, EVGA support said the card was most likely dead.

On another note, I made sure that the 8pin + 24pin and both 6pin PCI connectors were seated the right way, but still no boot up either inside or outside of the case now.