Sign in with
Your question

Windows xp user accounts won t open

Last response: in Windows XP
December 14, 2010 9:14:21 AM

Hello,
I can open my user accounts but can't add a password because there's no prompt. It's just a white empty space. Seems, some one has gone to my regedit and tampered with something there. How can I have a new password for my stystem start up. Right now, anyone can open the system. Thanks.

RK
December 14, 2010 9:46:35 AM

Try...

Click:
Start
Run
enter this---> control userpasswords2
setup as you like
Ok.
m
l
December 21, 2010 7:08:24 AM

journalistrk said:
Hello,
I can open my user accounts but can't add a password because there's no prompt. It's just a white empty space. Seems, some one has gone to my regedit and tampered with something there. How can I have a new password for my stystem start up. Right now, anyone can open the system. Thanks.

RK

Thanks, it did work. Now, I have a few more questions:

My computer is accessed by several people on a regular basis. How do I restrict them from accessing my files, or, even one or more of the partitions in the hard drive? Is it possible? Can I allow a person to work in my PC without allowing him/her to snoop on or copy my files or even a whole partition? I do have USB ports. Can I restrict others from using Pendrives to copy items quietly while they are working in my system. Are these completely possible, without much hassles?

Thank you very much. Happy season!

RK
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2010 3:29:34 PM

As a network admin, you can disable the use of USB ports (flash drives). That would be a group policy setting.

If you want to restrict what the users can do, go to the control panel, and change their account types to limited user, instead of administrators.
m
l
!