Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cannot View Pictures or Play Music

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
December 14, 2010 12:22:06 PM

Hi guys, I’m really new at this but I’ll try to be as informative as I can. I’ll start with my computer specs first and then I’ll state my problem.

- Custom built pc
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Ga-M57SLI-S4
- Processor: AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5400++
- Operating system: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
- Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

If I missed any specs please ask me, I’ll try to find out.
So here’s the problem, two days ago I just did a fresh install of Win XP SP3. I did slipstreaming for the SATA drivers as my pc has no floppy drive using Nlite. The funny thing about my pc is when the disk is put into the cd rom, there is no “press any key to boot from cd” line. I have to press f12 to ask the pc to boot from cd. I do not see the welcome to setup screen. All I see is the partition screen to select which drive I want to install windows on. I deleted the c partition and then I formatted it with NTFS (full not quick) then I installed windows. Installation was smooth. It boot up until I saw the display. I thought things were fine so I installed a couple of drivers and programs such as the motherboard chipset, the grapic card driver, sound driver, avast antivirus, malwarebyte’s anti-malware, Microsoft office and google chrome.

After installing all these programs, I restarted after installing them. One by one. When I finished all of it, I restarted again. My pc just freeze up. Then I restarted again. After the win xp logo, I got the black screen. The next day, I turn on the pc with safe mode with networking. Everything was fine so I started googling on how to fix the black screen. There was quite a number of things I did and I don’t recall what I did. Anyway, I did error checking on c drive. I was told that the check was successful so I started windows normally. Then I wanted to check if my pc could play any music. When I open my documents attempting to go to my music to select one of the sample music, I double click sample music folder and the thing just disappeared showing me my blank display with no icons or start menu. After a second or two, the icon and menu come back out but not the sample music folder. The same thing happens with my pictures.

Another issue that I am facing is that my pc can’t do a virus scan. I open avast antivirus and click full system scan. After 5 seconds of the scan, the pc just freezes and even my mouse can’t move. Even task manager can’t be opened so I just pressed the restart button. By the way, i have also installed the recovery console on my hard drive and i did chkdsk /r and was notified that one or more errors has been fixed. The pc now starts up fine in normal mode, I am able to go online with it as I am writing this post with it. It is just that I can’t open any pictures or music files. Does someone know what’s going on as I tried googling this problembut I can’t find an answer so I am pleading to you guys out there to please help me figure this out. Thanks
December 14, 2010 2:29:31 PM

Do you have any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manger?

While you are there.. Look under "System Devices" and check that your SMBus is present. This may have additional words in it's title, such as Nvidia SMBus.

In Control panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Check that your sound card is selected to be the default sound device, not your Video card.
Anonymous
December 15, 2010 6:31:33 AM

Hey Tigsounds, thank you for your quick reply.

There are no yellow exclamation marks and under system devices, there are no SMBus or Nvidia SMBus.

In sounds and audio devices, the sound card driver is selected as default sound device.

So what do I do now?
Related resources

Best solution

December 15, 2010 5:15:06 PM

Anonymous said:
Hey Tigsounds, thank you for your quick reply.

There are no yellow exclamation marks and under system devices, there are no SMBus or Nvidia SMBus.

In sounds and audio devices, the sound card driver is selected as default sound device.

So what do I do now?

Look in the various folders of your Nvidia drivers. It will be in the chipset drivers area. The SMBus is needed for that card (according to Nvidia). I use ATI chipsets and they (in their limited wisdom), don't automatically install the SMBus. Maybe Nvidia doesn't install automatically either. The missing SMBus makes a lot of things not work and others not work as expected.

The other thing that wrecks havoc is if you are missing .Net Framework.

Edit: That part you said about a quick reply... It varies. I do volunteer work at an emergency shelter since the rains of the last couple weeks devastated so many peoples homes. When I'm there I can WiFi the internet while I'm in for my 24 hour shift. When I go home to get some sleep, well, things get put on temporary hold.
Anonymous
December 16, 2010 10:57:15 AM

hi tigsounds, i just wanted to let you know that although for some crazy reasons, i could find the smbus files, i could not install them. when i open the setup file, it kind of unpacks and then closes down.

however you mentioned net framework. i installed it and now my pc can play music files.

i just wanted to say thank you for helping me fix this problem.
Anonymous
December 16, 2010 10:57:57 AM

Best answer selected by cool_blue7730.
December 19, 2010 10:40:35 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!