What would be the power consumption of o'cing E2140?

HolyDoom Witch

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Can anyone tell what the power consumption of an E2140 would be if overclocked to 3.2 (or 3) ghz? The EPS Calculator says it would go from 65 watts to 520! That's seems a bit OVER clocked to me.

Apart from that, do I also need a separate cooling unit? Can't I do without it? In summers, it is as hot as 48 degrees Celsius.

I was going to replace my 945G motherboard with a G31 or 41, to get rid of the CPU bottleneck towards the Sapphire 4870 I have.

Thanks

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
High, but it depends a lot on the voltage required to run it at those speeds, 3.2ghz at 1.4v would be about 160watts.

You would need a *separate* cooling unit, BUT you'd most likely need to replace the current cpu heatsink with a good aftermarket one. Sunbeam's Core Contact Freezer would be one example.

You'd most definitely need a very good cooler to run a high overclock when your summer temps are 48C. But it can be done, just a matter of how much :)

I wish you luck.

G

Antec has a good psu calculator

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

HolyDoom Witch

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Luck. Hah. I just smoked my luck up in fumes. Here's how:

I just decided to buy a new CPU, like E7x or E8x or something else, may be a quad core. Even AMD Shanghai (I'll tell someone visiting abroad to bring one for me).

Thanks a lot (because I was going to burn my CPU!) (...and lose a few cents I could have got as the buy back value for this CPU!!!)

@ just4today,

your site is using the same site's calculator.