Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card issues...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2008 9:07:01 PM

Hi everyone I've got some questions that I desperately need help with.

Up until recently I've been running my Q6600 with 8800GTS 640 for no problems for about 11 months.

I just found out my friend can SLI, so I sold him my GTS (since we had same card and ours is not sold anymore)

Looking at "best cards for $200" I found the Visiontek HD4850 and it seemed like the best one so I ordered it.

Now the more I read I'm learning that it might not be.... especially with the 9800GTX+ just out.

Here's my questions/stats:

1. I game at 1680 x 1050 and don't care about AA but would like to be able to use it.
2. I don't play FPS games except for CoD4. (I play Assassin Creed, Devil May Cry 4, Oblivion, The Witcher, Mass Effect (soon) and World in Conflict)
3. I have a 500w Antec NeoHE power supply.
4. I can't run SLI or Crossfire due to my motherboard so I want the best single card I can afford ($200 range)

Questions:
1. Do you think the 4850 will perform adequately at my resolution?
2. Should I get the 9800GTX+ since it's only $15 more than the Radeon, has rear exhaust, and is Nvidia (to go with q6600 I thought that was better?)

That's about it really... wondering if I should RMA the 4850 and order the 9800GTX+.

I really just want the best performance for my $ and want to know if anyone out there has tried the GTX+ yet or if they know of any reviews... I've been unable to find very many after an hour or two of searching.

Sorry for the rambling wall of text... but I am "freaking out" as they say.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
More questions:
3. Will my PSU handle the 9800gtx+?
4. Forgot -_- I'm too stressed over this.

More about : graphics card issues

August 18, 2008 9:13:17 PM

I*'d go with the GTX+, if only to not stress your PSU.
August 18, 2008 9:14:57 PM

Does GTX+ take less power than the 4850? I thought ATI was good because of low power consumption?
Related resources
August 18, 2008 9:29:21 PM

You know I ran a power consumption calculator for a Q6600 rig (2.8 GHz OC) with a single 4850 and I found that it peaks out at 400Watts with after a little capacitor aging. I am going to use a Corsair TX650 to be safe but I am sure your 500w is fine. I think your only issue will be hot GPU and driver BS but the GTX+ probably has its own issues and will run hot too. Just use adequate case cooling and you will be fine. Once you're up and running, have a cold beer and leave it alone :-)
August 18, 2008 10:11:38 PM

I would keep the 4850. the chip technology is more advanced, which means less heat, less power consumption and smaller size. also HD 4850 supports DirectX 10.1 that the 9800+ does not support. keep in mind that there aren't that many games that take advantage of the physx engine, porbably none the ones you play anyway.

Another very good reason is take into consideration the scandal about the defective G84/G86 chips, which i happen to be a victim of, thanks to nVIDIA my trusty laptap with an 8600M GT can go out any minute according various sources. so to say the least, i got some trust issues with nVIDIA at the moment as should eveyone else be out there.

so play it safe and stick with the red team this time around because i can gaurentee you wont regret it!
August 18, 2008 10:47:44 PM

Thanks for the info!

Sounds like it's really a horse apiece with these two cards, both are good, both have issues.

The one thing I do like about the 9800gtx+ is that it has rear exhaust, vs the 4850 which does not and is known to run super hot.
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2008 11:05:22 PM

The 4850 is just as fast as the 9800GTX+, and it has DX10.1. I'd say it's the better choice. It also pulls ahead with AA, which is nice because that's where you really need the power.
August 18, 2008 11:08:51 PM

Thank you sir, that makes me feel better.
August 19, 2008 9:53:50 AM

I always wondered if pci slot fans like that actually worked.. especially since the fan on the GPU will be so much further back... it seems like the fan on this will be up against the gpu? Unless I Place it a couple slots lower... is that the idea?
August 19, 2008 10:04:51 AM

Also.. is the Q6600 + 4850 a good idea? I always read that it's Nvidia/Intel and AMD/ATI... I've never mixed before but it seems like other people have been... any thoughts there?
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2008 10:05:43 AM

The intake for the PCI fan will be right against the output for the HD4850's heatsink fins, find the size for perfect placement. Some fit better than others, just be sure to match your fan to your card.

a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2008 10:09:19 AM

On the intel and ATi, no problem. The Q6600 really can't be beat for value, and it really plays well with both ATi and nV,but if anything intel plays better with ATi than nVidia due to Crossfire support.
August 19, 2008 10:17:16 AM

First.. Thanks a ton for this advice!

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
The intake for the PCI fan will be right against the output for the HD4850's heatsink fins, find the size for perfect placement. Some fit better than others, just be sure to match your fan to your card.

So... the fan I'm using attaches to the card? Or does it extend? I'm confused as to how this works I guess, I think I'm over-analyzing.

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
On the intel and ATi, no problem. The Q6600 really can't be beat for value, and it really plays well with both ATi and nV,but if anything intel plays better with ATi than nVidia due to Crossfire support.

Glad to hear that. Never new about crossfire support or anything like that but have been looking into a DFI crossfire motherboard that's LGA775 and only like, $105.

Thanks again for the info :D 
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2008 11:11:51 AM

The nVidia chipsets have proven to be a lil harder to oc, run hotter, and theyre the only ones that do SLI. The Intel chipsets oc better run cooler etc, and do CF
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2008 5:39:08 PM

pous said:

So... the fan I'm using attaches to the card? Or does it extend? I'm confused as to how this works I guess, I think I'm over-analyzing.

It just goes up next to it, you can place it ini the adjoining slot or 1 or 2 down.
The one right next to the card would be my recommendation if the fit is right.

Anywhoo, good luck with the new build.
August 19, 2008 7:32:07 PM

Thanks again for all the info. I'll go ahead and order one of those today. Looks like UPS hates me... as usual... and so I won't be getting the card until Wednesday... makes me wonder why I pay for fast shipping at all.

I'll be able to run some tests on Wednesday/Thursday before getting the fan in the mail. Maybe post my results vs how it was with my gts 640. I'm really interested to see if there's a noticeable increase in frames and 3dmarks.
August 21, 2008 10:08:50 AM

Just installed my 4850 last night and got everything tweaked and running just about right.

OC'd it out of the box with CCC and noticed a little artifacting, so backed off just a little and everything's been perfect so far.

Only thing I have noticed is the SM2.0 score on 3dmark is really low... but I hear that's just common with these and that they perform better in games... which is something I Noticed last night (better in games for sure)

Thanks for the advice and reassurance everyone gave me. I'm currently waiting for the slot cooler to arrive and then I should be truly good to go.

1 thing though, if any of you get this card, turn up the fan speed immediatly. Without increasing it it will Idle up around 80c + I set fan speed to 80% and it idles around 50 now depending on room temp. Gets into 70's or so while on load. Not too bad really.
!