Sign in with
Your question

What is the best card for me?

Last response: in Components
September 30, 2008 10:26:03 PM

I am looking at upgrading my SoundBlaster Audigy SE to something a little better for music and games. I am trying to find a card that gives an equal balance. I play many games but also listen to a ton of music too. I am looking for an overall theatrical sound card that does the job but is cheap.

I am looking at these 2 cards but can't decide which is best: - Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio 24BIT Sound Card 7.1

and

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer 24BIT Sound Card 7.1

So can someone explain which is the better card overall. The Gamer is 50$ more than the Audio but I need to know if it's worth it. Can someone fill me in on the cards?

I also see the Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY PCI-E 1X 24BIT for a little more than the Gamer, but is that even worth considering? I'm sort of a nub when it comes to sound cards as I rarely pay any attention to them.

Thanks

More about : card

Anonymous
October 1, 2008 12:47:22 AM

get the audio

gamer isn't worth the x-tra (hehe) 50 bucks... it only adds better game quality and more EAX levels i believe...

I currently have the "old" fatality thats just pci slot not the new pci-e slot... and its amazing...

i can literally hear what direction... up down left or right with my over-ear headphones... and music sounds so much better...

Base is really much better as well, you'll notice a major improvement... for yo though i'd recommend the XTREME AUDIO

creative uses too man x's... just like old ati
October 1, 2008 12:53:22 AM

the xtreme audio would be fine for you, but depending on the kind of speakers you have. i recently purchased a home theater system for my computer which meant that i would need an optical connection on my computer. i considered the creative xtreme audio pci-e, until i found out that it could only send stereo over optical. so i did some more research and came across auzentech, whose cards do support 5.1 over optical in games. auzentech, and also asus may be worth considering.
Related resources
October 1, 2008 4:41:29 PM

It doesn't use a PCI-express slot like a videocard does it? lol
October 1, 2008 7:37:21 PM

What speakers you using?
October 3, 2008 4:32:56 PM

Right those speakers aren't really of sufficient quality to warrant a decent soundcard, there'll be minimal, if any, benefit to the upgrade. The headphones are OK but i still wouldn't bother with a soundcard.

Have you tried the onboard sound from your motherboard? These days onboard sound is of a suprisingly high quality and in my opinion a soundcard is only worthwhile once you start buying Seperates systems (AV Receiver, Speakers etc).

Hope that can be of some help to ya.
October 3, 2008 4:49:55 PM

I already use a SoundBlaster Audigy SE and that was a huge upgrade over my motherboard sound. I'm pretty sure the soundcard would help with the headphones though. I've decided not to get one since I like my sound the way it is right now, and have decided to go for some car audio instead lol.
October 10, 2008 11:34:54 AM

i have the Logitech X-540s and Bought the SoundBlaster Audigy SE card as a small upgrade to the onboard version on my P5Q-E, i had not owned a sound card before so sort of bought it as an experiment, there is a small but noticible improvement, though i really dont think i could warrant getting a more expensive card with speakers like mine.

wait till you have expensive speakers untill you buy a decent card.
!