Your question

Windows won't boot with DVD ROM connected

Tags:
  • DVD Drives
  • DVD Players
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 13, 2009 7:46:29 PM

Here's the problem... my old DVD player failed so I picked up an inexpensive DVD player to replace it. Everything was normal for a couple of days then automatic updates installed a new update so the pc automatically rebooted over night. When I woke up the next morning the screen was dark (the monitor was on there just wasn't an image). So I rebooted, noticed the "Loading Windows XP" was taking longer than usual, then it finally went to the black screen again. I decided to unplug the DVD player and everything loaded up normally. So I reconnect the drive and the same thing happens. I boot into safe mode and disable the player in device manager, reboot and the system boots normally once again. Here's what I've tried:

Swapping IDE cables
Rolling back the IDE driver (I read somewhere theNVIDIA chipset could cause conflicts with IDE devices somewhere)
Reinstalled XP

Funny thing is I can install Windows from the drive (it is recongnized in BIOS and seems to perform normally until it tries to talk to the OS). So with the clean install, everything was fine for about 8 hours. I was downloading a file then suddenly I get the BSOD. Try rebooting and get the same problems I had before. I just now left the computer on and it finally loaded into Windows (was on the "black screen" for about 10 minutes before loading). A message pops up saying Windows has recovered from a serious error. Trying to open Device Manager or My Computer causes the system to hang. I don't think it's a bad drive since it works outside of Windows.

My setup:
Win XP SP3 (all updates)
Geforce 7950GT 512MB
Corsair 2 gig DDR2 pc2 5400
Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 AM2
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 San Diego
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
LITE-ON iHDP118-08 DVD player

Any advice would be much appreciate--I'm stuck here.

thanks,
mitch

More about : windows boot dvd rom connected

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 13, 2009 8:16:53 PM

Hate to be downer but if the drive cost only a little, is it worth spending so much time on it ?

I have had secondhand CD writers that stopped Windows booting when they were connected and I just dumped them in case they did any damage to the motherboard.
m
l
!