Need help getting a 1:1 FSB to ram ratio

bogus666

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
this is what i'm working with according to cpu-z. sorry if there is a much nicer way of putting this in a thread or if its too much info for what i'm asking, but i just copied from cpu-z's report.

CPU-Z 1.50 report file
Processor(s)
Number of processors 1
Number of cores 2 per processor
Number of threads 2 per processor
Name Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Code Name Wolfdale
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Package Socket 775 LGA
Family/Model/Stepping 6.7.A
Extended Family/Model 6.17
Core Stepping E0
Technology 45 nm
Core Speed 3330.4 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 9.0 x 370.0 MHz
Rated Bus speed 1480.2 MHz
Stock frequency 3000 MHz
Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, EM64T
L1 Data cache (per processor) 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache (per processor) 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache (per processor) 6144 KBytes, 24-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Chipset & Memory
Northbridge Intel P45/P43 rev. A3
Southbridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) rev. 00
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 2048 MBytes
Memory Frequency 444.1 MHz (5:6)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 16 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T

System
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Name EP45-UD3R
System S/N
Mainboard Vendor Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Mainboard Model EP45-UD3R
BIOS Vendor Award Software International, Inc.
BIOS Version F5
BIOS Date 11/17/2008

Memory SPD
Module 1 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 1024 MBytes, PQI CORP.
Module 2 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 1024 MBytes, PQI CORP.

Software
Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
DirectX Version 9.0c

as you can see i have o.c.ed a little, i'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this stuff. i haven't changed any v-core settings and all my RAM setting are set to auto in the bios. i haven't had any problems with this set up, everything is stable. cpu temps idle at around 36. what i ask is, what is the best/most efficient way for this comp to run with oc-ing? mainly, how do i get my bus speed and ram frequency running cohesively. right now i'm running 4:5, i would like to get at 1:1, or what ever would be best. i would love any advice, tips, or ridicule on what would make this set up optimal. thanks for your time.

b

I am a proponent of running FSB:RAM at 1:1. Running RAM slower costs performance, while running RAM faster doesn't significantly increase performance and can increase instability.

CPU-Z is really indicating that running 1:1 would enable you to increase CPU speed if you know how to read what is going on. I am guessing that you left the System Memory Multiplier setting on AUTO in the BIOS. That means that it is set to the SPD value of 800 MHz.

What happens is that as you increase the FSB frequency, the memory frequency increases proportionally. That's why CPU-Z reports your memory freq as 440 MHz. That means your memory clock is actually twice that (DDR2, remember?). So your memory is operating at DDR2-880 speeds.

Increase the FSB much more and your overclock fails, yes?

All you need to do is change the System Memory Multiplier from AUTO to 2.0. You will see the memory frequency in the BIOS drop to 740 MHz (twice FSB frequency).

And if you have a good CPU cooler, you should easily be able to hit 3.6 GHz. and possibly the "magical" :) 4.0 GHz with stability.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

bogus666

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009

I was actually thinking of buying some new ram, but wasn't sure what would be effective. i know more ram is better, but at what speed would be best to match my system? and also i've read that windows xp does not recognize more than 3 gigs of ram, i don't know if thats true, since i've never had more than 3, its just what i've read somewhere. thanks for your reply.

I am a proponent of running FSB:RAM at 1:1. Running RAM slower costs performance, while running RAM faster doesn't significantly increase performance and can increase instability.

CPU-Z is really indicating that running 1:1 would enable you to increase CPU speed if you know how to read what is going on. I am guessing that you left the System Memory Multiplier setting on AUTO in the BIOS. That means that it is set to the SPD value of 800 MHz.

What happens is that as you increase the FSB frequency, the memory frequency increases proportionally. That's why CPU-Z reports your memory freq as 440 MHz. That means your memory clock is actually twice that (DDR2, remember?). So your memory is operating at DDR2-880 speeds.

Increase the FSB much more and your overclock fails, yes?

All you need to do is change the System Memory Multiplier from AUTO to 2.0. You will see the memory frequency in the BIOS drop to 740 MHz (twice FSB frequency).

And if you have a good CPU cooler, you should easily be able to hit 3.6 GHz. and possibly the "magical" :) 4.0 GHz with stability.

thank you, jsc. that was very helpful. i did have it set to auto, though it had two different 2.0 settings. one being for 2.00b and one 2.00d i believe. i went with 2.00d which matched the speed of 400mhz. got a 1:1. awesome! I haven't actually tried pushing the fsb much more than what it is(scared). i've only had failures when i've tried messing with the ram settings and windows won't start. this is a great cpu and i know i could pump it up more, but i just don't have the confidence to really push this thing, since i really don't know that i'm doing.

this is the cooler i have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

a pretty decent cooler for the price range i was looking for. not sure if its able to keep it cool at high clock speeds, but much better than what i had before, where my old pentium 4 would usually idle around 55C. anyway, thanks again, any suggestions on some new ram?

You are doing pretty good with the ACF7P, which by today's standards is a pretty average cooler.

You would do better to improve your cooling.

What are your load temps?

Here's a couple of stickies to look at:
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

What kind of RAM do you have now?

A 32 bit operating system can only recognize 4 GB of RAM. The reason that you see less than that is because Windows needs some of that space for other things. That's why you usually have 3.25 to 3.5 GB available.

Almost forgot. I think you should be using the first 2.00 - the 2.00B, not 2.00D. The difference is subtle and difficult to explain.

bogus666

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009

I'm running a game in the background, using firefox, and i have a few other random applications going along with anti-virus. cpu usage is a t 66-72%. i have never seen the temps go above 45C for both cores. dont know if thats good or bad. compared to my old cpu, i think thats phenomenal, haha :)

this is the type of ram i have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141298

oddly enough, it has been a deactivated item, and the heatsink looks completely different from when i bought it, which was a while ago. i know its not the best ram out there, it was just really cheap at the time for the moola that i had.

thanks for the links, i while definitely read them over when i get the time.

some more info for ya, the bios has some neat options that i have decided to utilize. dont know if it makes a difference, good or bad. the first is the Robust Graphics Booster, which i have set to the turbo option out of the auto and fast choices. next is the C.I.A.2(cpu intelligence accelerator 2), i have that set to turbo, and last is the DRAM Performance Enhancer, which i have set to extreme. for a layman like myself, these options make my life simple :)

thanks for the advice, i've used xp for a long time and i think its a great OS. but might be time to go with windows 7 i think.