Eng1neering

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Anyone done it? Is this feasible?

Is there support for such a thing on Win 7 and intel P55+ boards?

Would a box with a raid 0 SSD setup fly? ^^

Let's hear those thoughts people!

Solution
The achilles heel of SSDs is their sequential write rate - most modern hard drives can actually beat an SSD for writing large files, at least when the drive is not doing anything else and the file is being written to the outermost tracks of the drive.

For reading and writing large files, either SSDs or hard drives in RAID 0 or RAID 1+0 will give you the best performance. Avoid RAID 5, which has very high overhead for writes.
The big advantage that SSDs have over conventional disks is their faster access time. RAID 0 (or any other kind of RAID, for that matter) really doesn't improve access time - so you won't see much improvement in random I/O performance.

You will see improvement in sequential transfer rates, and you could also improve the amount of concurrent I/O. But those metrics are less important for things like booting or starting applications.

Eng1neering

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

What is best raid configuration for working with adobe premiere? or video editing for that matter?

SSD beats a WD velociraptor in all terms?

The achilles heel of SSDs is their sequential write rate - most modern hard drives can actually beat an SSD for writing large files, at least when the drive is not doing anything else and the file is being written to the outermost tracks of the drive.

For reading and writing large files, either SSDs or hard drives in RAID 0 or RAID 1+0 will give you the best performance. Avoid RAID 5, which has very high overhead for writes.

Solution

jive

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
As sminlal said, the raid 0 with ssd will not improve anything when you work with large file.
If you have your apps on the raid and you can set the working place for the file on a fast HD you will have the best of the two world. I have ssd in raid 0 and 2 caviar black 640gb in raid 0 also. My apps os are in the ssd raid and when I can I change the work place for the apps and put it on the HD, like swap for the OS file or storage .

Eng1neering

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

What brand/model are you using for your ssd? What kind of system specs are you running with?

How long have you had the system? Do you feel any bottlenecks/performance defects? What kind of apps do you run?

No, I said the opposite of that. RAID 0 (and RAID 0+1) can give you better sequential read and write performance, which is what you want for large files. But it won't do much if anything for random I/O, which is what you want for things like booting and starting up applications.