SERIOUSLY? ~8800Ultra~

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
It's a hardware issue.

Return to stock speed if OC's.
Check the fan?
Change PCI slots?
Check the power connections and the PSU.
If you have aftermarket cooling or have removed the heat sink consider checking that, conductive thermal compound can cause this symptom.

Good luck.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
His card may or may not be fried, I corrected that symptom with all of the things that I've suggested. If it is bad there is a very good change that it's under warranty.

I would also like to point out that my 4870 x2 was defective on arrival.

_ben_

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I cant/ dont know how to lower gpu speed! I have rivatuner and the latest nvidia drivers (re-installed) and rivatuner does not recognize the card at all!

It did this on 2 different systems...

hhahaahyea

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008

lols.

what do you mean after the mail? and yeah i would just remove the drivers, take the card out, boot up with onboard graphics and then reinstall everything.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
dead card. my sister had a computer with some old 64MB gfx card in it and every once in a while over a few years (lol, it wasn't that often so we didnt bother to do anything) it stuffed the screen up. a simple reboot would fix it for a few minutes but then.... anyway i was pretty much as noob as you could get in those days being like 9 years old, lol... card didnt have a fan but i wonder if the heatsink on it was properly contacting it...

anyway a cheap graphics card upgrade (or downgrade maybe idk some retarded store where she lives "fixed" it for $100 -_-) fixed the prob.

_ben_

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008

I sent it via the mail to a guy to trade for an HD4850 and when he put it in his PC he said this happened. So either he screwed it up or it got screwed up in the mail. Either way there is not much I can do about it except learn a good lesson I guess, I cannot prove he broke it >_<

My card has an HR-03 Plus cooler on it so I'm going to switch to XFX8800GTX Extreme Edition I think.

I tried all the suggestions, thanks to those who gave them. Nothing seemed to work :/ Would flashing the bios help?

I think that flashing the video card's bios might get you somewhere - that's the only thing i didn't try on my x1650xt...I can't find a bios for the card anywhere.

But, it's broken anyway, it's worth a shot.

_ben_

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I heard that a card has 2x BIOS, is it possible that I can switch to this 2nd one I hear of or is this an urban legend >_<?

I'm trying to figure out the flashing now... Kinda hard with my screen looking like this haha!

However, if it is wasted what card would you guys suggest for this system (I'm looking at atleast being able to play SC2 and Diablo3 decently, but also not to be working off the debt for the rest of my life :p):

AM2 5200+ w/
MSI K9VGM-V (not very good mobo >_<)
2gig ddr2 800 RAM
2 x IDE HDD
22" Samsung 2232GW (1680x1050)