Sign in with
Your question

Getting the most bang out of my P4

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 1, 2008 5:29:43 AM

I have a "Northwood" P4 3.4GHz on an Intel 865GBF and with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS. Although I'm getting myself a new rig I don't have the heart to dump what I have now.
Therefore I'm looking at making the most out of this tin can even if it means having to spend money ona new motherboard, overclocking etc.

I was wondering if anyone could offer helpful suggestions on how to make this a good enough computer to play a few games (like CNC 3, AoE III and RoN) and the occassional video editing.

Thanks a million guys!!

More about : bang

October 1, 2008 5:49:35 AM

most people would just say add RAM and get a new video card.

but get a video card that you can transfer later to your new rig.

=]
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2008 6:01:21 AM

Im pretty sure his motherboard has an AGP slot so getting a video card you can transfer to your new system isnt possible unless you are going to build on an older motherboard that supports a newer dual core cpu. But that is only backing up imo.

Since I dont know how much ram you have I cant say to add ram. 2 gigs is a happy medium in most cases with XP. Im assuming you have XP since you are running an older system.

A better video card may help but tbh the card isnt so bad as compared to the fastest agp you can buy.

My recommendation is to get your ram to 2 gigs if you have 1 gig or less and ride it out until you are ready to build your new system.

You wont see enough benefit to do much more than that tbh...
Related resources
October 1, 2008 6:01:45 AM

maybe change the motherboard and overclock it? what say?
October 1, 2008 6:13:33 AM

englandr753 said:
Im pretty sure his motherboard has an AGP slot so getting a video card you can transfer to your new system isnt possible unless you are going to build on an older motherboard that supports a newer dual core cpu. But that is only backing up imo.

Since I dont know how much ram you have I cant say to add ram. 2 gigs is a happy medium in most cases with XP. Im assuming you have XP since you are running an older system.

A better video card may help but tbh the card isnt so bad as compared to the fastest agp you can buy.

My recommendation is to get your ram to 2 gigs if you have 1 gig or less and ride it out until you are ready to build your new system.

You wont see enough benefit to do much more than that tbh...

I apologize if I wasn't clear in my original post, but I'd like to keep the computer I have currently and get myself a new rig. The new rig is gonna have a quad-core cpu... yada... yada... yada

As for my existing computer, its running XP SP3 and has 2.5GB of RAM. In addition to maybe add more RAM I was toying with the idea of getting a new motherboard and cooling solution and over clock it a bit...
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2008 6:36:51 AM

Really I'd get a TV tuner card, media center keyboard, and mybe win xp media center edition and use it as a media center PC.
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2008 2:53:01 PM

I would OC your current system as much as it will go and leave it at that. Consider any money you would have spend on upgrading this system as your first installment on your new system and put the money away...

You wont utilize more than 2.5gigs of ram. By the time you buy hardware/software that will boost the performance to a noticable difference you will have spent too much and its not worth it.

Ive done it all and its the best way to go from a money standpoint. If you have plenty of money then you can go either way...
a c 334 à CPUs
October 1, 2008 3:46:05 PM

Do you have someone that needs a basic PC?
Can you give it to charity?
If you can't usefully give it away, take it apart, and sell the parts you can't reuse on e-bay, and use the proceeds on your new PC.

!