The Zalman , or in general

unlimitedro

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
In general, would a CPU cooler's performance decrease if the copper is nickle coated?
+ would the Zalman CNPS9900 LEDa make a good combo silverstone raven rv02, since the fans are blowing the same way...

THe only reason why i asked the first question is the CNPS9900 NT looks way nicer, but i am not so sure about the performance if its worse, then ill just go with the regular version.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

Why are you getting a Zalman in the first place? They suck that's the truth, get the core contact freezer. check out this site
frostytech.com

prove that core contact freezer owns zalman
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2362&page=4
scroll to the core contact freezer temp(top 3), the zalman is highlighted already

core contact freezer cheaper than zalman
$25 after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004
zalman $67
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118046&Tpk=Zalman%20CNPS9900

Zalman coolers do not suck. Heck, for the longest time, Zalman coolers were the cooler of choice...but I digress.

Nickel plating does not decrease performance. However, the Heatpipe Direect Touch feature of some coolers does provide some (minimal?) cooling performance. Case in point, the Scythe Mugen 2 has a nickel coating and it is one of the better performing coolers in the $35 price range.

Just my $.02, the 3+/- degree difference between a nickel coated cpu cooler and a non-nickel coated cpu cooler will not, in the big picture, make that much difference to the enthusiast overclocker. If you plan on extreme OC'ing you would be better off with water cooling anyway. Also, there are many other factors like the brand and type of TIM, ambient temps, and case airflow that effect how well a cpu cooler performs. You can have the best cpu cooler in the world but poor case airflow and high ambient temps and it won't make a difference.

Do you want performance or looks?
Almost any oem cooler will be decent and outperform the stock cooler. The Zalman should be ok.
But, the zalman will not be in the top 10 from a performance point of view.
Read this cpmparison article which uses the same fan to compare coolers. (The zalman has an integrated fan which is a negative from my point of view)
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=285&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=16

To answer the original question, copper is a very good conductor, and a thin zinc coating should not have a negative effect. It is helpful to resist copper corrosion.

My thought... Pretty is as pretty does. Get a top tier cooler.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
If you are overclocking, there's no point buying the "looks" cooler because it sucks and it usually costs more. When the core contact freezer is only 25 dollars after rebate it pretty much kills the competition. A "looks" cooler is usually above 50 dollars and has peformance less than a 25 dollars cooler. In the end, it's pretty sad.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

Dude what are you talking about. When did the dark knight come into this. You're so random. lol. dark night cant even outperform core contact freezer and its more expensive, sad. of course its better than the regular heatsink idiot. its a aftermarket cooler

ShtBrix

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
I was just trying to give some info to the person asking about the Dark Knight. The CCF has a terrible LGA775 mount. And I was talking about the Dark Knight vs. the regular HDT-1283. Don't start flaming people for no reason.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Hehe i wouldnt call that flaming now chill out im tryin to help too.

the CCF has a terrible LGA775 mount? Umm not that terrible to me, it took me just less than a few minutes to install no hassle if you know what you're doing.
also it outperforms the dark knight and its cheaper. now its all up to the poster to decide

also check out frostytech.com for reviews on heatsinks as mentioned before.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

haha thanks, but im sure the original poster gave up on this thread he hasnt came back yet. so i suggest not reviving this.
again core contact freezer > dark knight
in performance and price.

Well since the OP appears to be MIA.

Actually both the contact freezer and dark knight are so close in stock performance it doesn't matter which one you go with as far as the OP is concerned he just needs to decide what he's really after looks or performance.

Even though the Zalman he listed looks good it is far from the best performer and the already listed review tests prove that.

However its limitations should be the biggest negative in even considering investing money in it and I'm speaking of the internally mounted Zalman specific fan, it completely kills your fan swap choice options.

Zalman is finally stepping away from that looped heatpipe idea with their recent release of the CNPS10X Extreme, but they are unfortunately presently way behind the performance 8 ball.

If I was intending to spend the Zalman's cost range in money I'd be getting the Thermalright 120 Extreme with 2 120mm fans, however it would be a lot cheaper to go with either the CCF or the Xiggy HDT line.

I have a Xiggy the original S-1283 cooling my setup, however it surely isn't stock as far as Xigmatek is concerned, the heatsink base has been lapped and she is sporting 2 120mm fans one as intake one as exhaust, those modds increased the cooling performance by 10C.

Pretty impressive for a 30+ dollar cooler but it did take some work to get it there, I already had the additional 120mm fans on hand so they're not included in the price, but that is a factor too.

Warning: Anyone lapping a HDT type cooler, you better know what you're doing and when to stop or you can cut the copper pipe walls too thin.

Well thats my 2 cents guys. Ryan