Sign in with
Your question

How long will my Computer last?

Last response: in Components
October 1, 2008 5:46:31 AM

Ok, I have a custom-built gaming PC that I have a friend built for me and I've bought the parts off of Newegg. Anyways, My question is how long will my computer last until I have to upgrade. Honestly, I think I won't have to upgrade for a long time right? Because I can pretty much run most games on high settings and no Graphics lag at all.

Here are my computer specs:
1. CASE = Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Case
2. PSU = 600watts OCZ GameXStream
3. CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ Default (2.4ghz)
4. Motherboard = MSI P35 Neo2-FR P35 Motherboard LGA 775.
4. RAM = 2GB(2x1gb) Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800(PC3200).
5. nVidia Geforce MSI NX8800GT 512MB Overclocked.
5. 750GB Harddrive and 1TB Harddrive(Backup and saved content).
6. LITE-ON IDE DVD/ROM Burner.
7. OS = Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3.

More about : long computer

October 1, 2008 6:06:13 AM

I wouldve recommended you go with vista 64 bit and maybe 2 more gigs of ram.

That setup will last you a while, maybe 2-3 years for the video card and 4-5 years for most everything else if you stretch it out.

Everything else looks pretty good...
October 1, 2008 6:59:58 AM

One day everything that moves will stop moving. fans and hard drives are common to die first. Power surges will kill your power supply, so get a ups and surge protector. Given those notes, it will last the same amount of time as my commodore 64... it just won't die.

As for performance in the future it will be great for anything but new games after 5 years. I use a P3 733 Slot 1, with Voodoo 3 for office apps, web browsing, and a cable tv tuner. Its all perspective.
Related resources
October 1, 2008 8:49:00 AM

It all depends on what criteria you use to define needing an upgrade...

If you want it to play all games on maximum detail settings - well, it wont even do that today.....

If you're prepared to make any compromise to quality to get playable frame rates, then it will continue to play most games into the forseeable future....

The problem with (and also the benefit imo) of PC's is they are not standardised like consoles which have a fairly fixed lifecycle, if you are prepared to tinker and optomise your PC you can normally extend its useful life....
October 1, 2008 11:22:56 AM

You will never have to upgrade that rig. Not because it's a good rig, but because can I see the future and you will not live long enough to need an upgrade. Sorry.
October 1, 2008 11:52:33 AM

szwaba67 said:
You will never have to upgrade that rig. Not because it's a good rig, but because can I see the future and you will not live long enough to need an upgrade. Sorry.

ROFL.

rockbyter, that "One day everything that moves will stop moving" sentence became my msn quote.
October 1, 2008 12:08:18 PM

Thats a good rig but in terms of games the 88gt is already a mid rang graphics so when dx 11 you can consider it a low end.
October 1, 2008 12:12:01 PM

+ 2 gigz of ram, vista 64 bit , a pcie 2.0 motherboard(p45 chipset), a 9800gt(smaller process=more overclockability+less heat) instead should make your rig a little more future proof and add a couple of more years
October 1, 2008 12:29:22 PM

I would say 1.5 - 2 years tops.

iCore socket mobos and CPUs coming out at the end of this year making all 775 socket mobos and CPU's obsolete as well as the decline of DDR2 memory.

I will take about a year for the market to shift and be in full swing by the second year at which point that combo will seem fairly ancient.
October 1, 2008 2:49:09 PM

szwaba67 said:

What a dumb*** comment. You should be banned IMO...

Most any pc will leave you feeling a little behind the times within 2 years. For some people they can stretch their systems life by using it longer than the average enthusiast. Look at some of the people here that post the most often and they still have a 400 watt psu and a 4400x2 cpu. Nothing wrong with it, they are just fully utililizing their systems to the maximum lifecycle. Needless to say they wont be playing the latest games on their highest settings but obviously it doesnt matter to some.

If this OP is a die hard enthusiast then he doesnt even need to look at the hardware he has listed but something tells me hes budgeting himself and looking for the best bang for a certain dollar. With that in mind he will likely use this system for a longer time frame than those of us that have to upgrade everytime a game comes out that our systems cant max out.

Correct me if im wrong OP...
a c 126 ) Power supply
October 1, 2008 3:18:41 PM

It will last until it no longer runs your games with acceptable performance.
You will be able to extend it's life by adding 2gb of ram, which is a good idea today, even with 32 bit XP. DDR2 ram is cheap today.

To play games better in the future, you can sell your 8800GT and replace it with something stronger.
Do not do this now because the cards keep getting better, and cost less. Wait until you find a game that needs a better card.
October 2, 2008 5:44:19 PM

englandr753 said:
What a dumb*** comment. You should be banned IMO...

It was a great comment. Refreshing. Original. New.

A bit of sarcasm is always aprecciated in this neo-fanboy infested forums.

Will you follow the white rabbit ?

October 2, 2008 6:10:22 PM

I was gonna say... it really depends.

Like, if you drop your PC out of a plane 14k feet without a parachute, it won't last long. But with a parachute, it will last ah... lil bit.. longer.

. <(dee plane, dee plane!!)

:oops: . o O (gotta go, my plane is here)
October 4, 2008 3:01:17 AM

radnor said:
It was a great comment. Refreshing. Original. New.

A bit of sarcasm is always aprecciated in this neo-fanboy infested forums.

Will you follow the white rabbit ?

I dont disagree but its better when aimed at trolls IMO...
October 4, 2008 3:29:58 AM

I recommend you spend a bit more money on an HD 4850,do NOT use IDE simply because it's a bitch to use(SATA's much smaller),XP will be outdated,and the Tsunami is not worth it.

Aim for the Cooler Master Centurion 5 and Vista Home Premium.
!