AMD 955 Phenom II Safe Overclocking Temps & Voltage?

G

Using this system 24/7 what temps or voltage would you suggest? Room temp stays between 72-75F all year around. So far i have changed out the cooling system from a heat sink to a liquid cooling setup. As of now at 3819.3MHz and 1.50 Volts i stay at around 96-100C. Under load running prime i stay around 52C but at some point i had hit 56C during the 24Hour run. I have had this system stable a 3900.0MHz but had to push the temps to 1.65Volts. At 3.9GHz i was idle at 39-41C and under load would hit upwards 58C. What is safe? AMD states 62C as max. Were should i load in at? Here are some shots of the unit in question.
Also the fans are moving a really good amount of air out the rads.

bd6645a8.jpg

ac88d234.jpg

97e26743.jpg

2aaccc5b.jpg

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
my Phenom stays 42C @ 3.8ghz idle. Goes as far as 56C/57C while running prime or rendering. I"m using the Mugen 2 cooler, but strangely i didn't have to bump up the voltage at all to be running at 3.8ghz. i have to raise it up @ 4.0ghz to remain stable. 4.1ghz is a bit tricky and too hot for my taste.

i'd say that as long as you stay below 60C for 24/7 you should be okay. i do my rendering/animations @ 3.8ghz/56C all the time. no issues whatsoever.

G

I thought it was weird i had to raise the voltage on this as well. I have a 945 on air and i have not had to move the voltage any @ 3.6GHz. Maybe i have not got the hang of this MSI bios yet. I think i'm going to go back and try things again.

1.65v is waaaaay to high for that clock speed. Normally 1.5/1.53v is used for 3.9/4.0Ghz...But it really depends on the motherboard... As far as temps go you do not want to go higher than 65c. With your WC setup you should be getting temps around 48c max at load (4.0Ghz) 1.5v.

Yesterday I tested a 955be using a AC Freezer 64 (AIR) and temps never reached 54c at 4.0Ghz 1.525v (ambient at 28c) ...

What paste did you use for the waterblock? Can you post your Bios info as far as the CPU,NB,SB and chipset voltage?

Btw, you have a hell of a PC there [:jaydeejohn:5]

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
maybe you had a bad luck and got one of the crappy phenom 955 that doesn't overclock much. heck, @ 3.6ghz i can even turn DOWN the voltages and still be stable. tried this @ 1.35 volts. 3.2ghz can be as low as 1.2volts.

No, its not that.. He just needs to tinker with the Bios settings till he finds his sweet spot... This is normal, specially when you are using a new mobo with a confusing Bios... Same thing happend to me last year when I changed my mobo... You just have to practice till you get the hang of it....

G

I can not get it stable at 3.8GHz unless i set the CPU Voltage at 1.52V if i even go 1.51V it will not hold. I've tried using the Multiplier and even FSB and a combination of both. I used ZALMAN ZM-STG1. CPU is currently 1.52V. This on an MSI 790FX-GD70 NB is set to auto and SB auto. Chipset voltage is auto. I had not raised the voltage on the chipset due to not pushing it that hard the first few times and using the multiplier. Current settings:
28222771.png

G

My bio's shows a CPU voltage at 1.52V but in the OS on CPUZ and Hardware Monitier i get about .1 to .2 neg. Volt difference.
Under Load no more than a few minutes.

6c53da68.png

That screenshot is showing that the CPU is pulling about 1.336v, of course this is not 100% accurate but that is nowhere close to 1.5v@ 3.8Ghz

Another thing is that you normally have to set all your voltages to get a stable system, you cannot leave the NB on Auto, well at least not on the boards I have used... Auto is normally used when you are at stock clocks.... Once you push the CPU past 1.4v it is recommended that the NB voltage be more or less the same as the CPU voltage. Note: It differs on every mobo but I am just giving you an idea....

Yes, try dropping the multi and raising the FSB and check temps... you should be able to get at least 220 and your Ram of course will be running a tad faster as well....

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
yeah, whenever i want to get to the 4.0ghz-4.2ghz+ range i need to up my fsb speed. for it to remain stable i need to raise the nb voltage.

G

Thanks, Trying it now. :)
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/AGirlsBuild/NZXT%20Case%20Build/e446f219.jpg
I will play with it some more and let you know. Thanks again Guys ;)

G

One last question. NB Voltage or HT Voltage? If i push the NB up close to the CPU voltage i go into the red as it runs currently at 1.112V. Should i be pushing the HT Link? This bio's is way different then i'm use to.

HT multi should be at 10x 2000MHZ if I am correct
NB volts at the same value as the CPU volts or a tad lower but never higher....

I am about to go home and fire up my comp...BRB....

He can adjust the NB voltage to the same value as the CPU voltage and he will be fine as long as he does not over-volt.... i have done it on the same MSI Platinum that you have among other boards.. its not very different than the board I am using ATM...

G

Please now, She LOL

I have adjusted the voltages as you have suggested. I still can't get it stable even at a lower O/C with out setting the Bio's to 1.38v to 1.40v @ 3.6GHz. Stuck on this one.

G

Do you think maybe the temps are holding me back? The heat under load pours off the rad. But the mesh on top the case is tight and i think it is forcing the hot air back around the rad and sucking it back through. At 3.6GHz with 1.38v i'm loading at 48C (118F). Room temp is 72-73F. Idle temps are around 35-36C (96-98F).

My bad, well guess what.... There is nothing cooler than a girl with a water-cooled PC....lol.....

Anyways did you change the voltages on the NB?

Your room temp is fine, don't worry about that....

G

Max i have seen it hit is 55C @ 3.8GHZ.

G

I changed the NB to match the CPU voltage as i raised it from stock up to 1.38V.

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
you don't have low overclock because the cpu is overheating. the heat is the result of higher voltage. more voltage , more heat. you keep pumping more voltage into it trying to get the cpu stable. but in my opinion you can't get anymore oc out of it is because the chip itself doesn't overclock well. think of all the professional reviews of phenoms where people cannot hit the 4.0ghz mark. are they idiots, no. just the chip is not as good. i can hit 4ghz easily. some cpus overclock well, some don't .