Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

AMD 955 Phenom II Safe Overclocking Temps & Voltage?

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 7:59:53 AM

Using this system 24/7 what temps or voltage would you suggest? Room temp stays between 72-75F all year around. So far i have changed out the cooling system from a heat sink to a liquid cooling setup. As of now at 3819.3MHz and 1.50 Volts i stay at around 96-100C. Under load running prime i stay around 52C but at some point i had hit 56C during the 24Hour run. I have had this system stable a 3900.0MHz but had to push the temps to 1.65Volts. At 3.9GHz i was idle at 39-41C and under load would hit upwards 58C. What is safe? AMD states 62C as max. Were should i load in at? Here are some shots of the unit in question.
Also the fans are moving a really good amount of air out the rads.

More about : amd 955 phenom safe overclocking temps voltage

September 4, 2009 2:45:32 PM

my Phenom stays 42C @ 3.8ghz idle. Goes as far as 56C/57C while running prime or rendering. I"m using the Mugen 2 cooler, but strangely i didn't have to bump up the voltage at all to be running at 3.8ghz. i have to raise it up @ 4.0ghz to remain stable. 4.1ghz is a bit tricky and too hot for my taste.

i'd say that as long as you stay below 60C for 24/7 you should be okay. i do my rendering/animations @ 3.8ghz/56C all the time. no issues whatsoever.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 7:09:39 PM

godless said:
my Phenom stays 42C @ 3.8ghz idle. Goes as far as 56C/57C while running prime or rendering. I"m using the Mugen 2 cooler, but strangely i didn't have to bump up the voltage at all to be running at 3.8ghz. i have to raise it up @ 4.0ghz to remain stable. 4.1ghz is a bit tricky and too hot for my taste.

i'd say that as long as you stay below 60C for 24/7 you should be okay. i do my rendering/animations @ 3.8ghz/56C all the time. no issues whatsoever.

I thought it was weird i had to raise the voltage on this as well. I have a 945 on air and i have not had to move the voltage any @ 3.6GHz. Maybe i have not got the hang of this MSI bios yet. I think i'm going to go back and try things again.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 7:38:48 PM

1.65v is waaaaay to high for that clock speed. Normally 1.5/1.53v is used for 3.9/4.0Ghz...But it really depends on the motherboard... As far as temps go you do not want to go higher than 65c. With your WC setup you should be getting temps around 48c max at load (4.0Ghz) 1.5v.

Yesterday I tested a 955be using a AC Freezer 64 (AIR) and temps never reached 54c at 4.0Ghz 1.525v (ambient at 28c) ...

What paste did you use for the waterblock? Can you post your Bios info as far as the CPU,NB,SB and chipset voltage?

Btw, you have a hell of a PC there [:jaydeejohn:5]
September 4, 2009 7:40:11 PM

maybe you had a bad luck and got one of the crappy phenom 955 that doesn't overclock much. heck, @ 3.6ghz i can even turn DOWN the voltages and still be stable. tried this @ 1.35 volts. 3.2ghz can be as low as 1.2volts.
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 7:48:47 PM

No, its not that.. He just needs to tinker with the Bios settings till he finds his sweet spot... This is normal, specially when you are using a new mobo with a confusing Bios... Same thing happend to me last year when I changed my mobo... You just have to practice till you get the hang of it....
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 8:20:44 PM

OvrClkr said:
1.65v is waaaaay to high for that clock speed. Normally 1.5/1.53v is used for 3.9/4.0Ghz...But it really depends on the motherboard... As far as temps go you do not want to go higher than 65c. With your WC setup you should be getting temps around 48c max at load (4.0Ghz) 1.5v.

Yesterday I tested a 955be using a AC Freezer 64 (AIR) and temps never reached 54c at 4.0Ghz 1.525v (ambient at 28c) ...

What paste did you use for the waterblock? Can you post your Bios info as far as the CPU,NB,SB and chipset voltage?

Btw, you have a hell of a PC there [:jaydeejohn:5]

I can not get it stable at 3.8GHz unless i set the CPU Voltage at 1.52V if i even go 1.51V it will not hold. I've tried using the Multiplier and even FSB and a combination of both. I used ZALMAN ZM-STG1. CPU is currently 1.52V. This on an MSI 790FX-GD70 NB is set to auto and SB auto. Chipset voltage is auto. I had not raised the voltage on the chipset due to not pushing it that hard the first few times and using the multiplier. Current settings:

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 8:24:15 PM

My bio's shows a CPU voltage at 1.52V but in the OS on CPUZ and Hardware Monitier i get about .1 to .2 neg. Volt difference.
Under Load no more than a few minutes.

a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 9:25:23 PM

godless said:
here's my screenshot if it helps you a bit.
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9163/screensave1p.jp...

That screenshot is showing that the CPU is pulling about 1.336v, of course this is not 100% accurate but that is nowhere close to 1.5v@ 3.8Ghz

Another thing is that you normally have to set all your voltages to get a stable system, you cannot leave the NB on Auto, well at least not on the boards I have used... Auto is normally used when you are at stock clocks.... Once you push the CPU past 1.4v it is recommended that the NB voltage be more or less the same as the CPU voltage. Note: It differs on every mobo but I am just giving you an idea....

Yes, try dropping the multi and raising the FSB and check temps... you should be able to get at least 220 and your Ram of course will be running a tad faster as well....

September 4, 2009 9:29:09 PM

yeah, whenever i want to get to the 4.0ghz-4.2ghz+ range i need to up my fsb speed. for it to remain stable i need to raise the nb voltage.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 9:46:20 PM

OvrClkr said:
That screenshot is showing that the CPU is pulling about 1.336v, of course this is not 100% accurate but that is nowhere close to 1.5v@ 3.8Ghz

Another thing is that you normally have to set all your voltages to get a stable system, you cannot leave the NB on Auto, well at least not on the boards I have used... Auto is normally used when you are at stock clocks.... Once you push the CPU past 1.4v it is recommended that the NB voltage be more or less the same as the CPU voltage. Note: It differs on every mobo but I am just giving you an idea....

Yes, try dropping the multi and raising the FSB and check temps... you should be able to get at least 220 and your Ram of course will be running a tad faster as well....

Thanks, Trying it now. :) 
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/AGirlsBuild/NZ...
I will play with it some more and let you know. Thanks again Guys ;) 
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 9:52:54 PM

Let me know how it goes and remember to check your temps every nown then.....
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 10:01:06 PM

OvrClkr said:
Let me know how it goes and remember to check your temps every nown then.....

One last question. NB Voltage or HT Voltage? If i push the NB up close to the CPU voltage i go into the red as it runs currently at 1.112V. Should i be pushing the HT Link? This bio's is way different then i'm use to.
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 10:06:05 PM

HT multi should be at 10x 2000MHZ if I am correct
NB volts at the same value as the CPU volts or a tad lower but never higher....

I am about to go home and fire up my comp...BRB....
September 4, 2009 10:07:08 PM

adjust the nb in increments. don't try to match the cpu voltage right away. on my msi i adjust the nb voltage. never tried the ht.
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 11:54:35 PM

He can adjust the NB voltage to the same value as the CPU voltage and he will be fine as long as he does not over-volt.... i have done it on the same MSI Platinum that you have among other boards.. its not very different than the board I am using ATM...

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 1:21:15 AM

OvrClkr said:
He can adjust the NB voltage to the same value as the CPU voltage and he will be fine as long as he does not over-volt.... i have done it on the same MSI Platinum that you have among other boards.. its not very different than the board I am using ATM...

Please now, She LOL

I have adjusted the voltages as you have suggested. I still can't get it stable even at a lower O/C with out setting the Bio's to 1.38v to 1.40v @ 3.6GHz. Stuck on this one.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 1:25:01 AM

Do you think maybe the temps are holding me back? The heat under load pours off the rad. But the mesh on top the case is tight and i think it is forcing the hot air back around the rad and sucking it back through. At 3.6GHz with 1.38v i'm loading at 48C (118F). Room temp is 72-73F. Idle temps are around 35-36C (96-98F).
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 1:29:27 AM

My bad, well guess what.... There is nothing cooler than a girl with a water-cooled PC....lol.....

Anyways did you change the voltages on the NB?

Your room temp is fine, don't worry about that....

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 1:31:16 AM

OvrClkr said:
My bad, well guess what.... There is nothing cooler than a girl with a water-cooled PC....lol.....

Anyways what are your temps at 3.8Ghz?

Max i have seen it hit is 55C @ 3.8GHZ.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 1:32:30 AM

I changed the NB to match the CPU voltage as i raised it from stock up to 1.38V.
September 5, 2009 1:33:54 AM

you don't have low overclock because the cpu is overheating. the heat is the result of higher voltage. more voltage , more heat. you keep pumping more voltage into it trying to get the cpu stable. but in my opinion you can't get anymore oc out of it is because the chip itself doesn't overclock well. think of all the professional reviews of phenoms where people cannot hit the 4.0ghz mark. are they idiots, no. just the chip is not as good. i can hit 4ghz easily. some cpus overclock well, some don't .
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 1:35:03 AM

55c at 3.8GHZ is too hot for a watercooled PC. I have my CPU at 3.856GHz and the max load is 52c on AIR

Private message me and I will figure this out......
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 1:37:49 AM

godless said:
you don't have low overclock because the cpu is overheating. the heat is the result of higher voltage. more voltage , more heat. you keep pumping more voltage into it trying to get the cpu stable. but in my opinion you can't get anymore oc out of it is because the chip itself doesn't overclock well. think of all the professional reviews of phenoms where people cannot hit the 4.0ghz mark. are they idiots, no. just the chip is not as good. i can hit 4ghz easily. some cpus overclock well, some don't .

That's what I'm starting to think on this CPU. As i have pushed a 945 to 3.8GHz without a problem on the same board. The more heat you displace the more voltage you can give. :D 
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 1:41:00 AM

Exactly, what I do not understand is that you are getting higher temps at 3.8Ghz on water compared to others on AIR....
September 5, 2009 1:43:01 AM

guess im one of the lucky ones that has a really good phenom 955. i just ordered a second one from zipzoomfly, hopefully the second one will be just as good. lol
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 1:45:21 AM

She does not have a faulty chip, the 945 cannot be compared to the 955.. The 955 is a tricky little bastard and it takes more time to get the settings right.....

The only thing that comes to my mind is re-paste the CPU and re-seat the water block....
September 5, 2009 1:52:14 AM

repasting the cpu and reseating the weter block will not make the cpu more stable. you will lower the heat. but the fact remains that she is applying way too many volts into the cpu and its still not stable. it doesn't matter how well she can cool it at this point. the chip has got nothing more to give, even with the water cooling setup.

i'm not saying the chip is faulty. it's not. it runs at 3.2ghz stable. that is advertised. the overclocking potential of each processor differs and is not guaranteed in any way. she simply hit the overclocking potential of this specific chip.
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 1:53:17 AM

godless said:

One thing is that the CPU won't overclock past 3.8Ghz and another is that the CPU will overclock past 3.8 but the temps are not tolerable. Peeps who cannot overclock past 3.8Ghz still get good temps so that is not the case here.....
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 2:11:42 AM

godless said:
repasting the cpu and reseating the weter block will not make the cpu more stable. you will lower the heat. but the fact remains that she is applying way too many volts into the cpu and its still not stable. it doesn't matter how well she can cool it at this point. the chip has got nothing more to give, even with the water cooling setup.

i'm not saying the chip is faulty. it's not. it runs at 3.2ghz stable. that is advertised. the overclocking potential of each processor differs and is not guaranteed in any way. she simply hit the overclocking potential of this specific chip.

If she was getting BSOD's at 3.8/3.9 or 4.0Ghz then your statement would be correct, what I do not understand is the fact that under water she should be getting temps around 45c @ 3.8Ghz....not 55c+ .....
December 23, 2009 5:31:21 PM

OvrClkr said:
One thing is that the CPU won't overclock past 3.8Ghz and another is that the CPU will overclock past 3.8 but the temps are not tolerable. Peeps who cannot overclock past 3.8Ghz still get good temps so that is not the case here.....

My 955 BE is Clocked at 3.9Ghz and is breezing by at a cool 49C MAX LOAD. I know I can run 4.0Ghz but I dont see a reason to with scores already past 9k
By the way Im using a Zalman CNP9900LED cpu Heatsink Fan the highly underrated super silent beast.
It can be done.
January 6, 2010 10:31:43 AM

Hi i was just wondering if these temperature were ok after doing my first overclock from 3.2GHz to 3.8GHz

amd overdrive listed temp at 31.5c-32c idle on all 4 cores and 47.5c-48c on all core in its 1hour stability test/OCCT also read 31c-32c idle,47c-48c on full load

when Intelburn test was used full load temp was 48.5c-49c full load on both the above

My system

Case----------------------------------- Coolermaster cosmos 1000

PSU------------------------------------ Coolermaster Real Power M1000

CPU------------------------------------ AMD phenom llx4 Black Edition 3.2GHz overclock to 3.8GHz (Cpu multiplier x20 ,HT ref.clock 190,CPU vid 1.500)

Motherboard------------------------- Asus M4A79T Deluxe

Graphics Card-------------------------Nvidia Geforce ENGTX260 TOP SP216

Cooling(CPU)--------------------------Corsair H50-1 Hydro series

Ram------------------------------------- Corsair Dominator 4Gb DDR3

Harddrive------------------------------ Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

April 13, 2011 12:09:41 AM

godless said:
guess im one of the lucky ones that has a really good phenom 955. i just ordered a second one from zipzoomfly, hopefully the second one will be just as good. lol

Your system similar to mine could you tell me what bios settings you have for that overclock. i can't get above 3.7GHz :( 

My specs are

msi k9a2 platinum
8GB kingston ram
amd radeon 5850 x2 (previously had a 3870)
amd phenom II x4 955

PS: temps are not an issue as i get 30-40 degrees on load
June 24, 2011 8:03:53 AM

I'm currently running my Phenom II x4 955 at 4.25GHz stable and pretty low temp.
In fact I was able to OC the CPU to 4.0GHz without touching the voltages.
It wasn't until I boosted to 4.25GHz that I needed to add the extra 0.07v to the core.

The only thing you want to watch for is your Ram clock.
Boosting the Bus Speed will also boost your Ram clock.
At least that is how it works with my motherboard.
Mine is slightly overclocked to 1667MHz from the stock 1600MHz.

My hardware specs:

Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO USB3 AMD 880G AM3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition AM3 CPU
Thermaltake 120mm Big Typhoon CPU Cooler
Corsair 4GB DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz
GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GeForce GTX 460 1GB GDDR5

Stock CPU Idle temp: 36-38C
Stock CPU was 3.2GHz
Stock CPU voltage was 1.45v

OC CPU Idle temp: 41C
OC CPU currently at 4.25GHz.
OC CPU voltage at 1.52v
Multiplier: 17.0x
Bus speed: 250.0 MHz
HT Link: 2500.0MHz
NB: 2500.0MHz
November 15, 2011 4:24:42 AM

For anyone who Has been having to set High Voltage when OC'ing the 955BE check to see if you mobo has Load line calibration settings. If it does try lowering you CPU voltage and playing with the LLC instead. I had to do that to get my 955BE stable @ 3.8ghz & 1.367v. I know on my mobo (M4A88T-M) the lower I set my LLC them more stable my voltage was under load.
January 23, 2012 5:43:13 PM

I've been doing a bit of ocerclocking recently as I just purchased a new mobo with 140watt TDP to replace my old 95watt TDP Asrock. I bought an Asus M5A78L and the processor is an ulocked Phenom II 550 to a B50 x4, this is what I found.
Jacking up the voltage allows higher clock speeds for the processor but if you go to far other components will start to fail, in my case in was the onboard sound which kept on about headphones being plugged in and taken out. I was running 1.5volts Vcore and decided to disable the sound chip and fit a PCI express soundcard from another machine. A couple of hours later while watching a film the sound card started to fail until it was silent.
While messing around I noticed that the Vcore rises with the FSB when set on auto, so I decided to drop the multiplier on the processor and see how high the Vcore would go (on auto) when I cranked up the FSB. I couldn't get the Vcore to go over 1.452 volts when checking CPU-Z.
Next I set the Vcore to 1.45 volts, wacked the Phenom back up to 3.5Ghz on the unlocked multiplier and loaded up OCCT which monitors voltages while stress testing. As soon as I started testing the voltage dropped to 1.35 and moved between this and 1.41, I stopped it and set the Load Line Calibration to 0% as auto is 50% then run the same test again. This time the voltage was spiking from 1.45 to 1.51. When LLC was set to 100% the voltage would drop from 1.45 down to 1.32. Eventually I rested at 32.5% and during a 30 minute stress test the voltage did not move and everything including the onboard sound was behaving itself.
Hope this helps anyone that is playing with their voltages, if in doubt leave it on auto as I've only ever had problems when tampering with voltages. Oh that's a lie I fried a mates old AMD Duron just cranking up the FSB once.
February 17, 2012 7:14:15 AM

I got my CPU to 4.1GHz default voltage but it's not stable (currently @3.9 stable), how far (with the voltage) is safe to go? Cooling is not a problem at any condition... :) 
PS: at idle the cpu is about 30-32 clesius with load about 42-46 48 max I've seen.
November 22, 2012 10:37:58 PM

Hold on! I have a Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.4(Stock). Is it bad to say that when rendering videos it is around 63 - 67c!? I have a stock cooler on there that I had to "custom" fit but it was fine, also the idle I'd say is in the 40's.
Should I be looking to upgrade the cooler? and to what?
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2012 11:08:51 PM

Fishbelt said:
Hold on! I have a Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.4(Stock). Is it bad to say that when rendering videos it is around 63 - 67c!? I have a stock cooler on there that I had to "custom" fit but it was fine, also the idle I'd say is in the 40's.
Should I be looking to upgrade the cooler? and to what?

yes that is high , maybe it has dust build up , a good new cooler would drop those temps . Should idle between 24-34 , max at load should be in the 44-55 range .
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2012 6:56:48 PM

jerry6 said:
yes that is high , maybe it has dust build up , a good new cooler would drop those temps . Should idle between 24-34 , max at load should be in the 44-55 range .

I would agree the temps there are dangerously high, considering 62c is supposedly the limit promised safe by AMD. However, I have never seen a 965 dip under 27c, and the "norm" is anything low 30's idle from my experience. I don't want to panic anyone by making them shot for impossible numbers.

Speaking with caution in mind, i'd consider ever seeing my 965 hit 55c in real life usage a problem. You are never at continuous 100% load in real life scenerios, so I figure 55c would mean an hour stability test would probably far exceed the published 62c limit.