Another EP45-UD3P Reboot loop!

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Just completed a big upgrade on my homebuild - I kept my case, evga 8800GT, 550w Coolermaster PSU and the drives. Here are the new main components:

------------
Mobo- GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P, bios F5a

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz

Memory - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) model OCZ2P10664GK
------------

So when I tried to boot it for the first time, it would turn on and beep, no video (my monitor doesn't even power on), then beep about a dozen times and cycle off and on and repeat the process. I played around with it a little - checked for any obvious shorts, etc., tried slots 2 and 4 (instead of 1 and 3) and nothing helped. Finally I plucked out a SIMM. Well, that did the trick.

With 2gb installed, it booted right up. I swapped the SIMMs and it still worked, so I don't think either of the SIMMs are bad.

So back to trying to get it running with 4GB installed - I tried everything I could think of - updated the BIOS from F4 to F5a, changed the voltage and timing settings in the BIOS to the OCZ recs (2.1 core voltage, 5-5-5-18 timings) and upped the MCH core to 1.26. No luck! Any suggestions?

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
I had something similar happening to me, however, I only have ddr2 800 as well. I actually had to lower the ram voltage from the 1.9v auto setting to 1.8v, switched MCH core back to auto, and lowered my CPU vcore from 1.325 to 1.28 and she fired up and haven't had problems since. I was actually able to tighten my ram timings better than default rating using those settings. I am also using the F5a BIOS too.

Also, if you get her back up and running, play *close* attention to any power settings that you have left to auto. When I started overclocking I noticed the board went nuts with voltages it was supplying. (333FSB on my q6600 with cpu voltage set to auto, and it would crank the voltage up to 1.4v) I also locked my PCIe frequency at 100mhz as I noticed for some strange reason that was climbing as well.

When it starts the rebooting process (which mine did as well, but usually only about 4 times before posting) will it finally return to the BIOS screen and display the error message?

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
I started with everything at the default setting - auto, for most things. Then I tried loading the optimized settings - either way it would not boot. It was only then that I manually adjusted some settings. And certainly haven't tried any overclocking yet!! I just want to get this thing working.

As for the rebooting process, I haven't let it cycle through four entire times as I didn't think there was a point, but I am getting no video at all when its stuck in the loop - no BIOS logo, no post, nothing.. my monitor doesn't even power on. I will edit my original post to make that more clear. Thanks!

bilbat

Splendid
There's a GREAT Gigabyte forum over at:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69
I've heard that Gb boards, in general, 'like' Mushkin RAM. Not to say others' WON"T work, just that Mushkins seem to take less fiddling with, and if you ARE willing to fiddle, might OC better. I'm planning a new workstation, and was going to buy 8Gb OCZ 1066 as it was a little cheaper, & they seem to have good support (especially at NewEgg) but, it seemed to me, I'd GLADLY pay $15 a stick to cut several hours of cursing at the BIOS while tweaking.

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Thanks, that forum is good. I ordered some new memory - I think I could possibly regret this but based on a review on Newegg in which a guy said he had no problem getting his UD3P running with it, I ordered the OCZ "FATAL1TY" 2x2GB kit (before I read your reply), which looks like it's basically the next level up from the Platinum as far as I can tell.

At least it has a Newegg standard (meaning, no restocking fee) return policy, so it seems to me like a worthwhile venture. If that doesn't work, I will try Mushkin. I did notice that the moderator at Tweaktown's Gigabyte board recommends mushkin, of course there was some guy on there complaining about being stuck in a reboot loop with mushkin RAM, so maybe these Gigabyte boards are just really picky. I will let you know how the Fatality..sorry-"FATAL1TY"- RAM works out.

G

Read forums before you buy anything and you will see that OCZ is total crap on just about any board out today! I have been building gaming rigs for over 10 years now and you can not go wrong with Gskill or Adata for the price they can not be beat! just look at Tom's reveiws they also back what I'm saying. I just did a build with this GA-EP45-UD3R and I have had no problems with Gskill 2x2 DDR21000@800 4-4-4-12/@900 5-4-4-15/@1000 5-5-5-15/@1066 5-7-7-18 even with OC as high as 500Mhz=2000FSB! and my E8500@4.2G stable on 92mm Air cooled! This board is great with the right hardware combo, just stay away from OCZ anything and you will do good. Oh and by the way best performance is @800 4-4-4-12 so don't buy into the higher Mhz memory as being better it is not! Lower Lat is where its at! so buy some good 800 with Lat 4 or get some 1000 with Lat 5 and downclock it and Lat at 4 and you will be good. this board is Rock solid at 400=1600mhz FSB with 1:1 mem@800 and gets very good benchmark scores without being unstable or causing long term damage to the hardware.