Help with mobo and memory.

ak47carbine

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
i hope someone will give me tutorial guide about adjusting the timings of ram to make it to exact speed..

i have ocz gold 6gb 1600mhz.. first my board "gigabyte-x58-ud3r" they will be recognize as 1066mhz..
somesay i have to adjust something about the cpu speed before i can make the ram to their proper timings..

can you give me full guide about adjusting ram speed plzz. thank you.

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I can tell you a trick with which I could tighten the timings with only little knowledge.

set the ram speed to something lower in the bios (from 1600 to 1333) and then go into the timings menu. The system will have tightened timing automatically just use these timing for ddr-1600 for me it worked great.

Another thing is to try and set Command rate to 1 this will have the greatest influence on performance compared to the other timings. Either it works or not.

Use memtest or prime 95 blend test for stability testing and test for more then 2 hours.

I hope my answer was helpfull

I don't agree with adjusting the CPU speed first. I would leave the FSB alone, change the spped of the ram in the bios with whatever timings are suggested. Then boot and check stability. Then I would try the timings you are interested in to see if it will boot and if so if it is stable at that speed.

If overclocking, I suppose one might want to start with the lowest mulitplier on the CPU and find the max stable FSB speed. But if that is not your goal, I wouldn't bother with that.

Simple answer: Don't bother.

Tests have shown that the i7 memory controller is very good at feeding the cpu regatdless of the speed or latency of the ram. You are looking at real application performance differences of 1-3% between the slowest and fastest ram.

TRENDING THREADS