Your question

e6700 intel CPU

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • EVGA
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
October 1, 2008 11:06:51 AM

Good day friends my name is anthony fareri and new to this board.

I have a e6700 intel CPU with a EVGA 680i mobo.. My question is: What is the top of the line CPU I can use with my MOBO? I know EVGA just came out with the new 7 series board. But at this time I would like to keep with what I have and upgrade to the best CPU I can. Any suggestions would really help.

thanks
anthony fareri

More about : e6700 intel cpu

October 1, 2008 11:22:57 AM

I dont think the 45nm chips work with the 600i boards. Do NOT quote me on that, but I vaguely remember a quote somewhere from EVGA saying they will not work and there will be no updates for them to work. That rules out the E7200, E8000's, and Q9000's. So basically all you are left with is a Q6600 if that is true.
October 1, 2008 11:27:00 AM

crowheart27us said:
http://www.evga.com/support/mbcpu/nForce_Intel_CPU_List...
you should be able to put a wolfsdale cpu in there. you may need to update your bios.
whats the exact model of your board?

Ahh my mistake. Its the QUADS that arent supported. I was close enough heh, knew I had read that somewhere.
October 1, 2008 11:32:06 AM

he should be able to use any of the Kentsfield quads just not the yorkfield quads
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2008 11:47:16 AM

IMO your E6700 is still more than good enough.
Bump the FSB to 333Mhz and it will perform prety close to a top of the line E8600...
October 1, 2008 9:46:51 PM

you guys have been very nice to reply.. Thanks

My FSB I belivie its at 1066 if im not mistaken.. If not how would I bump it up..

If you can set me up with a upgrade setup that would be great.
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2008 7:13:51 AM

If you really wanted to spend some cash, an E8600 would be the best of the new generation you can put into your Mb. You can also use any of the older 65nm quad core CPU's like the ever popular Q6600.
IMO, you would be pissing cash down the drain buying one as your CPU can perform nearly the same as an E8600 with a minor Oc. Even if you got one of the 65nm quads, you would have to overclock it to see any real world gains over your current CPU.

The process is not to difficult and you can find a good guide Here.
All you will really need to do is go into the BIOS and change a few settings.
Change the FSB from 266Mhz to 333Mhz, manually set your RAM at it's proper speed and voltage and give your CPU an minor voltage bump. I would recommend starting at 1.4v (with 1.55v being the most you should but on the chip). Test for stability in windows with dual instances of Prime95. When it is 100% stable, lower the voltage one setting and retest. Repeat until you start getting errors then raise your voltage two settings and save a profile. Make sure and keep an eye on your temps using Coretemp while you are testing. The highest temp you should let your CPU hit is around 75c.
October 7, 2008 9:48:32 PM

wow.. thank you so much guys for getting back to me.. This is really big help. these forums are great!
!