Sign in with
Your question

When Overclocking Becomes An Addiction

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 2:35:52 PM

We all have our reasons for OCing so this is more of sharing with each other what we discover about ourselves when OCing seems to be heading towards a state of addiction, IMO you're officially addicted to OCing when you purchase brand new parts for the sole purpose of OCing right out of the box, so with that mentality you're ready to toss your warranty to the wind if it gets in the way of your goal.

We all tend to think if we can keep it cool enough that throwing more voltage to it doesn't matter, however thats really the fastest way to destruction, but necessary for OCs way beyond factory specifications, but does alert CPU manufacturers that Johnny [theorectical person], has his own self fried up the CPU so his warranty claim is denied by the CPU manufacturer.

The goal setters [someone that has predetermined a high O/C goal out of the box based on review information], seem to get themselves in more trouble than anyone else, simply because the silicon quality properties of one CPU and hardware combinations [M/B and RAM], may yield a higher or lower expected output than the exact same hardware manufactured at different times, or different quality batches, and also completely differing hardware combinations will yield different results, than some review article that you've read.

Even if your goal is the maximum O/C you can possibly get with the cooling setup you have, and throwing caution to the wind using whatever voltage is required to get there, its not wise to intend to run that O/C 24/7, under those circumstances you are seriously shortening the hardware life, however it is your money and your choice.

If thats the type of O/Cer you are, its a good idea to keep a second operational machine, so you can access the internet when your O/Cing computer bites the dust, because it is just a matter of time before it does under those conditions, and without a backup you're dead in the water.

Personally I class myself as being addicted to O/Cing, however my past serious mistakes I had to eat at my own expense, have made me more cautious in my endeavors as of late, so what I've learned is to O/C to see where I can get with a certain setup then back down a notch or two, to run 24/7, and allow the CPU to run at these higher speeds and voltages to kind of give it a seat in time period to get used to running faster than spec speeds and settings.

So far it seems if you give the CPU time to get used to running at a higher setting and voltage for like a break in period, it seems to O/C a little higher later on, its kinda like a break in period for a car with a brand new motor, unless you just have loads of money to throw out the window you're not going to drive it 180mph [if thats the cars top speed], off the show room floor.

O/Cing takes us past the manufacturers suggested break in straight out of the box, and some peoples car break in policy is, break it in how you intend to drive it, that may not be the best approach with O/Cing a CPU, since too much voltage allows electrical migration from the begining, and we don't want to deal with that for some time, [unless we have money to throw out the window], but if we had that, we shouldn't need to O/C because we could afford the best of the best, and replace it as it gets bested by new technology.

When it comes to O/Cing way before it ever becomes an addiction, and this is for you newbies to O/Cing that are constantly asking us to hold your hand and walk you through O/Cing you new precious, as I've said many times, learn first!, Then Do!, using the internet to study O/Cing articles and How Too's, learn what you're doing first before you attempt O/Cing anything.

If you don't even know how to enter your BIOS settings, you have a lot of learning to do and that is your responsibility not ours, any successful O/Cer has invested time in learning what they were doing before they did it, so learn first then do and maybe one day you'll get addicted to O/Cing too.

That may or may not be a good thing, because you also need to learn when to quit and be satisfied with what you have, and enjoy the benefits of getting more than you paid for, before you destroy your investment.

Edit; Unless destroying, or sacrificing your investment was your initial goal for bragging rights in the first place! Ryan

More about : overclocking addiction

a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 3:01:31 PM

4Ryan6 said:
because you also need to learn when to quit and be satisfied with what you have, and enjoy the benefits of getting more than you paid for, before you destroy your investment. Ryan

But, Johnny got 4.9 :sarcastic: 
Seriously, good advice.
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 5:12:11 PM

if its stable and wont die in 12 months ill rape my cpu for whats its worth, im addicted when i buy a second cpu just to bench on my phase unit and try for a record lol, not quite there yet tho
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 5:41:57 PM

it will work trust me i did it last week ,bsod ftw
September 4, 2009 5:42:58 PM

Quote:
Personally I class myself as being addicted to O/Cing, however my past serious mistakes I had to eat at my own expense, have made me more cautious in my endeavors as of late, so what I've learned is to O/C to see where I can get with a certain setup then back down a notch or two, to run 24/7, and allow the CPU to run at these higher speeds and voltages to kind of give it a seat in time period to get used to running faster than spec speeds and settings.

So far it seems if you give the CPU time to get used to running at a higher setting and voltage for like a break in period, it seems to O/C a little higher later on, its kinda like a break in period for a car with a brand new motor, unless you just have loads of money to throw out the window you're not going to drive it 180mph [if thats the cars top speed], off the show room floor.

I find this an interesting statement. You've gotten better performance by allowing a burn in time at a higher clock speed for a CPU. In automobiles, the break in period wears off the rough points on the bearings and any metal to metal contact points. This makes sense, less rough points, less friction, less wear and tear when you run at higher rpm's later.

I'm just wondering from the physics of the CPU what changes during the burn in time. There is no mechanical wear going on, the only thing I can think of is some form of eletro-migration occuring at the gate level. It would be interesting if the chip manufacturer test a part, ran extended times at higher clocks and then retest at the original clock to see if they can detect any difference in the before to after parts.

In my case, I don't overclock at all. I'm happy with a known good system running at spec. Just call me timid.
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 5:44:13 PM

there isnt a burn in for modern cpu's but as the hardware gets older you hammer it for more speed as you know your going to replace it soon :p 
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 4, 2009 6:01:10 PM

richardscott said:
there isnt a burn in for modern cpu's but as the hardware gets older you hammer it for more speed as you know your going to replace it soon :p 

Affirmative!!!
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 12:17:48 PM

HOLY COW!!!! I never considered myself addicted to OCn'. I just give em a little bump before they are out of date so I can run them a little longer. Works really good for me. :) 
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 4:34:26 PM

ok guys....ill admit it , im addicted.

But what can i do to help my self? wait nvm, i dont want to help myself.
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 4:44:48 PM

overshocked said:

:D  same
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 5:53:02 PM

arthurh said:
HOLY COW!!!! I never considered myself addicted to OCn'. I just give em a little bump before they are out of date so I can run them a little longer. Works really good for me. :) 

Its those that live in denial that are the worst of the worst ! ROFLMAO :lol: 
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 5:56:34 PM

overshocked said:

When did you first realize you were addicted?
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 9:01:42 PM

4Ryan6 said:
When did you first realize you were addicted?

XD
When i spent several days making heatsinks and ln2 pots for myself just to get theat extra 50mhz.
September 5, 2009 10:49:25 PM

overshocked said:
XD
When i spent several days making heatsinks and ln2 pots for myself just to get theat extra 50mhz.

lol
You need to go to rehab
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 11:19:35 PM

^pshhhh... i need to get some more ln2.;)
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2009 11:49:14 PM

I used to be addicted to overclocking back in the mid 90's, mainly because PC's were so slow, every bit you could wring out of your processor showed improvement that you could instantly, positively see. As processors have become faster, I don't seem to care about it as much. My last couple of builds, I simply bumped the buss speed up a couple hundred mhz, more or less just to satisify myself that I am getting a little more than I paid for, and I am perfectly fine. Perhaps it is also that I have kinda moved away from playing games all night and all day. I load a game maybe once or twice a week and play around for an hour or two. Maybe some of it is because I feel the "edge" has been taken off. Hell, everything you buy these days is made for overclocking, BIOS's settings have advanced to the point of being an overclockers dream. Back when I was pushing my AMD DX4 120 to 200 mhz, (with 3DFX graphics) things were a lot different!

If that new Mechwarrior ever hits the shelf though, I may have a relapse.
September 6, 2009 12:20:22 AM

Great thread, haha overshocked needs to go to rehab :D 
I overclock just for the hell of it, getting a cheap processor and overclocking it to the expensive processor's speed at no cost. Saves money, so why not?
September 6, 2009 1:10:06 AM

overshocks said:
"getting a cheap processor and overclocking it to the expensive processor's speed at no cost. Saves money, so why not?"

Amen
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 6, 2009 11:28:38 AM

overshocked said:
XD

Yep, Its official, You are addicted to OCing, Yeee Haaa!
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 6, 2009 11:29:43 AM

karma211 said:
lol
You need to go to rehab

:lol: 
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 6, 2009 11:35:05 AM

jitpublisher said:
I used to be addicted to overclocking back in the mid 90's, mainly because PC's were so slow, every bit you could wring out of your processor showed improvement that you could instantly, positively see. As processors have become faster, I don't seem to care about it as much. My last couple of builds, I simply bumped the buss speed up a couple hundred mhz, more or less just to satisify myself that I am getting a little more than I paid for, and I am perfectly fine. Perhaps it is also that I have kinda moved away from playing games all night and all day. I load a game maybe once or twice a week and play around for an hour or two. Maybe some of it is because I feel the "edge" has been taken off. Hell, everything you buy these days is made for overclocking, BIOS's settings have advanced to the point of being an overclockers dream. Back when I was pushing my AMD DX4 120 to 200 mhz, (with 3DFX graphics) things were a lot different!

If that new Mechwarrior ever hits the shelf though, I may have a relapse.

Well that brings back memories, 80mhz made a major difference back then for sure, today 80mhz is a total disappointment, times have really changed haven't they!
September 6, 2009 12:08:42 PM

well i read the first post and had a laugh. I didn't "research" how to oc nor did i have a back a pc nor did i ever ask for help cause that would have killed the whole learning kerb. I simply heard about how ppl were getting this extra performance for nothing and wanted in. Well that was back when i ahd an AMd 3000+ Clawhammer @2ghz. i got that puppy to 2.7ghz on the stock cooler.

it seems that it got that hot that when i learnt that im meant to keep the temps low and bought a aftermarket HSF i have been glued to the stock HSF. When i tried to pull the stock HSF of the cpu came out of the socket while the lever was still locked in place. Had to get a screw driver and a hammer to get them apart but i still worked but never oc'd as high for some reason.

Now i just do it to see what it can do, its my hobby. If i wanna relax a bit i grab a can of wild turkey from the fridge crack it, have a sip then see if i cant take my system a bit further. That and its a good excuse when you fry something to buy a new better one.
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 6, 2009 12:22:36 PM

bmadd said:
Had to get a screw driver and a hammer to get them apart but i still worked but never oc'd as high for some reason.

Now i just do it to see what it can do, its my hobby. If i wanna relax a bit i grab a can of wild turkey from the fridge crack it, have a sip then see if i cant take my system a bit further. That and its a good excuse when you fry something to buy a new better one.

ROF freakin LMAO :lol: 
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2009 2:34:39 PM

Overshocked I'm coming to USA :D  new York to be precise, should be fun any thing you recomend ? I arrive at 8pm local time staying for two weeks
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2009 11:57:13 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Yep, Its official, You are addicted to OCing, Yeee Haaa!

not to mention that i have more money invested in copper than i do in the system itself.
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2009 12:03:15 AM

richardscott said:
Overshocked I'm coming to USA :D  new York to be precise, should be fun any thing you recomend ? I arrive at 8pm local time staying for two weeks

Any chance your coming to austin? You should do some benching!
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2009 12:05:17 AM

No sorry only ny this trip it's going well atm but food could be better
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2009 12:21:56 AM

More Speed please!
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2009 5:51:15 AM

^o^ Mmmm!!! Beer & OCing = +1+1 (whoops seeing double again)
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2009 3:12:52 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Its those that live in denial that are the worst of the worst ! ROFLMAO :lol: 

:hello:  Hey 4ryan6, just so you know, I accidently stumbled on OC'n with a low end CPU. Everything worked so much faster!!! :love:  Then of course found that with the right less expensive CPU I could match or better a uber high end CPU.........., well it just makes good economics to do this especailly in these hard times. ;) 

So you see its really a neccesary modification for any one trying to get the most out of what ever they buy. Sorta like adding a better air cleaner and a higher flowing exhaust to your car for better overall performance. Except its Free!! :sol: 

Addiction is such a harsh word in these hard times. Perhaps I walk a thin line here, but surely not addicted. :whistle: 
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2009 6:36:58 PM

unclefester said:

nom nom nom
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2009 8:56:37 PM

I remember my first OC with a celeron and a cheap 50$ board....Back in the day if you could get 500Mhz with a stock cooler that was considered a huge gain, I used to overclock just to squeeze a bit more frames playing Quake and SoF.... Then came the P4's turn and boy did that chip perform.... It was like a night n day difference compared to the celeron's... Once AMD came out with their first batch of dual cores I jumped ship and to this date have I stuck with them for daily use and moderate overclocking...I don't consider my-self addicted since this kind of addiction requires mad cash to begin with.... But again, I would not mind getting addicted to overclocking a 750 now that it has seen 4.6Ghz on Air....

As far as frying anything, I only had one CPU (intel) die on me and it was basically a mix of too much volts and high heat...

a c 197 K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 8:47:04 AM

Everyone needs a hobby.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 11:34:38 AM

OvrClkr said:
As far as frying anything, I only had one CPU (intel) die on me and it was basically a mix of too much volts and high heat...

Yeah the voltage is the true killer, too much and its over.
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 11:38:20 AM

unclefester said:

Well thats one way to get SLI out of that single 260GTX! :lol: 
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 12:00:41 PM

arthurh said:
:hello:  Hey 4ryan6, just so you know, I accidently stumbled on OC'n with a low end CPU. Everything worked so much faster!!! :love:  Then of course found that with the right less expensive CPU I could match or better a uber high end CPU.........., well it just makes good economics to do this especailly in these hard times. ;) 

So you see its really a neccesary modification for any one trying to get the most out of what ever they buy. Sorta like adding a better air cleaner and a higher flowing exhaust to your car for better overall performance. Except its Free!! :sol: 

Addiction is such a harsh word in these hard times. Perhaps I walk a thin line here, but surely not addicted. :whistle: 

ArthurH, You Are Addicted To OCing, just go ahead and admit it, its the first step in your recovery process! ROFLMAO :lol: 

IMO anyone thats running their water cooling setup straight from the faucet is officially addicted to OCing, of course thats pretty ingenious actually as long as the cost is absorbable, you don't worry about pump failure unless you blow the countys main water pumping station! :lol: 

But don't feel bad buddy there is always overshocked walking around with an LN2 pot in his back pocket, and I think OC wise he's got you beat, but I'm sure you'll figure a way around it the Winter is coming after all! :lol: 

Guys ArthurH, is one of my THGF friends, I've known him since 2003, he probably has the best escape from ambient room temperature water cooling on the planet, however he is on Al Gores hit list! ROFLMAO :lol: 

Haven't known overshocked long at all but its obvious he's overclock addicted! Not that theres anything wrong with that at all! :sol: 
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 4:21:40 PM

4Ryan6 said:

But don't feel bad buddy there is always overshocked walking around with an LN2 pot in his back pocket, and I think OC wise he's got you beat, but I'm sure you'll figure a way around it the Winter is coming after all! :lol: 

Haven't known overshocked long at all but its obvious he's overclock addicted! Not that theres anything wrong with that at all! :sol: 

MMMMM... cant wait for winter, im in a contest where you can only use air and water to get the the overclocks.

The winner get a free custom duniek ln2 pot....and i think i can win it because the highest overclock so far was 4.6ghz (e8600). [:jaydeejohn:4]

Ill beat that with my 4.95 on air overclock. :lol:  :lol: 

It should super pi around 8 sec. [:thegreatgrapeape:3]
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 4:22:26 PM

For this contest i think i will do some super sub zero water cooling...
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 4:37:41 PM

4Ryan6 said:
ArthurH, You Are Addicted To OCing, just go ahead and admit it, its the first step in your recovery process! ROFLMAO :lol: 

IMO anyone thats running their water cooling setup straight from the faucet is officially addicted to OCing, of course thats pretty ingenious actually as long as the cost is absorbable, you don't worry about pump failure unless you blow the countys main water pumping station! :lol: 

Guys ArthurH, is one of my THGF friends, I've known him since 2003, he probably has the best escape from ambient room temperature water cooling on the planet, however he is on Al Gores hit list! ROFLMAO :lol: 

Dang! Looks like I got busted. :pt1cable:  But I sure do have fun doing what I do. :) 
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 6:13:59 PM

overshocked said:
MMMMM... cant wait for winter, im in a contest where you can only use air and water to get the the overclocks.

The winner get a free custom duniek ln2 pot....and i think i can win it because the highest overclock so far was 4.6ghz (e8600). [:jaydeejohn:4]

Ill beat that with my 4.95 on air overclock. :lol:  :lol: 

It should super pi around 8 sec. [:thegreatgrapeape:3]

What contest is that?
September 10, 2009 6:17:50 PM

4Ryan6 said:
ArthurH,

But don't feel bad buddy there is always overshocked walking around with an LN2 pot in his back pocket
:sol: 

well I hope that isn't true :p 
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 6:26:32 PM

Ehsan w said:

It actually isnt...i keep my ln2 pots safe and sound in my backpack. [:jaydeejohn:4]
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 9:41:34 PM

overshocked said:
For this contest i think i will do some super sub zero water cooling...

LINK Please :ange: 
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 9:46:47 PM

Yea a link would be more than awesome.....
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 11, 2009 2:11:09 AM

Ehsan w said:
Thought everyone would have realized that was a Joke
Anonymous
September 11, 2009 10:58:09 AM

I overclock to get performance of more expensive parts without spending silly money, thta way my money is better spent on upgrading to current gen overclockable parts, things change so quick, value overclackable parts are the best bet in my opinion, and once they get to the replacement life, I do tend to go for the kill lol
September 11, 2009 3:03:32 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Thought everyone would have realized that was a Joke

yeah.....
I did realize it was a joke...
=.=*
a b K Overclocking
September 11, 2009 9:08:11 PM

^Hmm... they do have a good set of rounds. I doubt I'd be able to make the C2D or i7. I'm REALLY limited by my motherboard on the i7 (too much vdroop).
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2009 3:40:30 PM

What i7 board you have?

Considered a volt mod to deal with the vdroop?
!