I'm building a new workstation/gaming rig

evilviking

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Hello everyone! I've recently come across an extra bit 'o cash, which is great for a dirt-poor college student like me. On top of the $1000 that I won, I also got two EVGA 9800 GTXs. (Check that link for more info on the contest that I won)

Anyway, I need a powerful machine, as I plan on doing some 3D freelancing starting this year. Here's what I have right now:

Already won/purchased and ready to go:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12444527&WishListTitle=2008

The rest of the initial build that I will be ordering tomorrow:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8835206

Once I sell an unused 8800 GTX that I had gotten as a gift earlier this year, and get a few more paychecks, I also plan on adding another 4GB of RAM, a 5.1 surround sound system, and two 750GB hard drives for a RAID 1 storage array.

I know there's some other PC-building folks like myself out there, and it's been about 4 years since my last build, so I wanted to get some feedback on it. I'm especially hoping for some advice on parts compatibility and a good CPU cooler. Thoughts?

To cover a few things off the top:

1. Yes, I'm getting the 64-bit version of Vista. I plan on getting 8GB of RAM total as soon as I can.

2. I'm getting 1066 RAM instead of 800 simply because it's faster, which should be noticeable when rendering.

3. The reason I'm getting a 780i motherboard isn't for the 3-way SLI, rather, the support for 45nm CPUs and 1066 RAM

4. The two smaller hard drives are for a RAID 0 array, for Vista and games. As I mention below, I will be getting two 750GB drives later for a RAID 1 array to hold my work and other files.

I'm ordering tomorrow morning, so any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated! :)

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I would suggest looking into the Western Digital hard drives that are based on the 320 GB platter - 1 platter for the entire drive. I hear they are great (just like the 640 - which is 2 320 GB platters).

The rest of that build looks good. I have the MSI 780i and love it. I am still thinking of getting another 8800 GTS to do the SLI in it soon.

Congrats and good luck with your build.

evilviking

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Thanks! I almost hate to go with the 780i series, even though they're nice boards, because they're so expensive and they will prevent me from being able to use two ATI cards in Crossfire. But, seeing as I got two 9800 GTXs for free, I guess I'll survive, haha.

Any general advice on getting my system built would be appreciated as well, seeing it's been quite a few years since my last one, and I'm just a little rusty. :p

evilviking

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
That's really weird - I can't see anyone of them. :\ Anyway, the one that I'm actually getting is Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM. Just one though. ;)