Combat Balance

Any thoughts on this?

Things I've heard :-

- No more pool specific shots
- 3 Second hard cap on Rifle speed
- Armour to be significantly reduced
- Buffs to be significantly reduced
- Overall Damage to be reduced for many proffessions

Mostly hearsay but I've read Dev posts saying no more pool specific
shots and a reduction in armour.

Basically if you don't like playing grouped your going to be out of
luck after this by the sounds of things.

Personally I'd like to see group rewards before they make me group
with people I don't know to play.

On 5 Jul 2004 01:18:37 -0700, chris@cdp181.demon.co.uk (Chris Pollard)
wrote:

>Any thoughts on this?
>
>Things I've heard :-
>
>- No more pool specific shots
>- 3 Second hard cap on Rifle speed
>- Armour to be significantly reduced
>- Buffs to be significantly reduced
>- Overall Damage to be reduced for many proffessions
>
>Mostly hearsay but I've read Dev posts saying no more pool specific
>shots and a reduction in armour.
>
>Basically if you don't like playing grouped your going to be out of
>luck after this by the sounds of things.
>
>Personally I'd like to see group rewards before they make me group
>with people I don't know to play.

I have heard everything from "This will be the death nell for the
game" to "Halleujiah".

Personally this is how I see it.

#1 - Rifleman seems to be the ONLY weapon system to get a nerf.
Figgures, I just Mastered the damned profession.

#2 - OK. If you reduce the damage AND the Armor ratings AND the
Buffs..... What's going to be the difference? It's going to still take
you JUST as long to kill something. Or more to the point....
somebody... See point #3.

#3 - This is all just another answer to the incessant whining and
complaining by the Uberness crowd of the PvP factionists. They are
continually whining that one profession is stronger then another. That
every change leaves one or two professions in a superior position.
Well GUESS THE F WHAT??? A Rifleman will ALWAYS BEAT AN ARCHER!!!
There is ALWAYS going to be somebody with better skills than you.
ALWAYS!

I will tell you what the death nell for this game is going to be for
me. These GD PvPers that can't play under a given sey of rules.
Biggest bunch of wussy whiners I have ever encountered. And, they are
ruining the game for the 90% of the players that never even engage in
PvP play! Drive those folks away and you ain't gonna have much of a
game are ya?

It means the death of solo playing......

I log on Flurry from Italy and I don't find much people when I am on, nor I
can spend much time playing;
sometime solo is the only chance to play, and I don't want to leave my char
for another one on european servers :-(

"Chris Pollard" <chris@cdp181.demon.co.uk> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> Things I've heard :-
>
> - No more pool specific shots
> - 3 Second hard cap on Rifle speed
> - Armour to be significantly reduced
> - Buffs to be significantly reduced
> - Overall Damage to be reduced for many proffessions
>
> Mostly hearsay but I've read Dev posts saying no more pool specific
> shots and a reduction in armour.
>
> Basically if you don't like playing grouped your going to be out of
> luck after this by the sounds of things.
>
> Personally I'd like to see group rewards before they make me group
> with people I don't know to play.

<SNIP>

Yeah Olan. I am very sorry. Just a little stressed over this. I have
tried PvP a couple of times here lately and I am always the first one
to die. I don;t see the absolute power of the Rifleman at all. Not at
all.....

But I am sorry for unloading on you so bad. Please accept my humble
apology.

Skinner1@hotmail.com wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> Yeah Olan. I am very sorry. Just a little stressed over this. I have
> tried PvP a couple of times here lately and I am always the first one
> to die. I don;t see the absolute power of the Rifleman at all. Not at
> all.....
>
> But I am sorry for unloading on you so bad. Please accept my humble
> apology.
This is one of the nicest posts I've read in a long time.

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 22:40:18 -0500, baegucb <user@example.net> wrote:

>Skinner1@hotmail.com wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> Yeah Olan. I am very sorry. Just a little stressed over this. I have
>> tried PvP a couple of times here lately and I am always the first one
>> to die. I don;t see the absolute power of the Rifleman at all. Not at
>> all.....
>>
>> But I am sorry for unloading on you so bad. Please accept my humble
>> apology.
>This is one of the nicest posts I've read in a long time.

Well, I was wrong. Name Calling is never justified. At times we all
loose our perspective and need to be reminded.. Thank you.

Oh and your connection is automatically lowered to the slowest speed
> of all Overt players.

I agree on this particular point, lag prevented me from going in pvp.
I never have less than 240 milliseconds lag, so it's very difficult to me
stayng alive against almost anyone, when i am overt (few times aftr that) i
don't even see peolple attacking me and if they duel me i am dead before i
can't do anything (having a good target and pressing my button for special
attack continuosly and not having a TKM as enemy).
It should be good if devs could think a way to calibrate lag, i am pretty
sure i could enjoy PVP from time to time.

Behodwo Berploped
Bounty Hunter on Flurry

<Skinner1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <SNIP>
>
> Yeah Olan. I am very sorry. Just a little stressed over this. I have
> tried PvP a couple of times here lately and I am always the first one
> to die. I don;t see the absolute power of the Rifleman at all. Not at
> all.....
>
> But I am sorry for unloading on you so bad. Please accept my humble
> apology.

A lot of the reason you die so quickly is the fact that you are a Wookie
and can't wear the 80%+ armor that everybody else can. The real power
of the rifleman shows through in that it can 1) hit the basically
unhealable pool, 2) with a weapon from 64m that composite is vulnerable
to (so that the armor stops none of the damage), 3) with insane speed -
ie, the cap.

The reason you die so quickly is because of the overpowered armor. I
think you will see that you do a lot better in PVP once armor comes into
balance so Wookies aren't as hurt by it. Trust me, this combat balance
can only be a good thing.

I can understand about being stressed, and it really doesn't bother me
to be unloaded on. What I don't like is being grouped in with the leet
kiddies that spend all day playing the game and enjoy going around
killing people who couldn't care less about PVP ;) Apology unnecessary,
but accepted and appreciated.

- Oalan

"baegucb" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> Skinner1@hotmail.com wrote:
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > Yeah Olan. I am very sorry. Just a little stressed over this. I have
> > tried PvP a couple of times here lately and I am always the first
one
> > to die. I don;t see the absolute power of the Rifleman at all. Not
at
> > all.....
> >
> > But I am sorry for unloading on you so bad. Please accept my humble
> > apology.
> This is one of the nicest posts I've read in a long time.

We've talked in the chat before while waiting for the servers to come
up, so I knew it wasn't how he really is. If something hits close to
home to us, we take it personally... you should've seen me taking to my
PA about the Jedi Revamp coming before the Combat Revamp :p

- Oalan

ringo

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:34:35 -0400, ginnyatsat@adelphia.net wrote:

>I've read through most of the threads in this post and I'm putting in
>my two cents. What the heck is wrong with someone wanting to solo? I
>gave up EQ because they turned the game into forced grouping. So
>instead of jumping on for an hour or so and doing a little hunting,
>you had to spend most of that time sitting around waiting for a group
>only to find yourself grouped with a bunch of $%^$#%^
>
>It is certainly possible to keep a good balance that allows for anyone
>to solo whenever they want to or to have useful skills that they can
>bring to a group. Rifleman's mind shots allows a MCH to solo with her
>critters and not spend the whole time getting incap'd. And the
>rifleman brings the ability to pull one critter from a group of them
>safely. But the rifleman also has a definite use within group and
>enhances the group specs.
>
>Take the ability to solo hunt away and I'm gone as well.

Well said...

In a word nothing from the players side, developers like to have
players grouped to build relationships between players. So when the
game gets so piss poor they couldnt pay you to play it, you stick
around for your friends company. Honestly thats the real reason. Now
IF there were an over 21 years old server (Adults only) heck yeah
group away, but these idiot, bad mannered, rude, socialy stunted
children just run me nuts.

The players problem is always how much should be soloable. EQ has too
little no doubt but how much is too much. No one knows least of all
the guys at Sony. Thats why I say leave it alone, you can only make
things worse. The complete lack of grouping skills in SWG would turn
any attempt to make it into a grouping game a total cluster f***
followed by mass cancelations, mine also among them. If your odds of
getting a decent group were good I would think differently but I have
yet to have a good group (powerful yes, good no) so it looks grim. If
combat rebalence goes forward the way its rumored..well I hope WoW is
out by then.

BTW Is anyone as sick as I am of Sony's nerf bat? Didnt even apply for
the EQ2 beta just have no interest in yet another SoE nerf fest. I was
hoping against all reason SWG was different....guess not.

<ginnyatsat@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I've read through most of the threads in this post and I'm putting in
> my two cents. What the heck is wrong with someone wanting to solo? I
> gave up EQ because they turned the game into forced grouping. So
> instead of jumping on for an hour or so and doing a little hunting,
> you had to spend most of that time sitting around waiting for a group
> only to find yourself grouped with a bunch of $%^$#%^
>
> It is certainly possible to keep a good balance that allows for anyone
> to solo whenever they want to or to have useful skills that they can
> bring to a group. Rifleman's mind shots allows a MCH to solo with her
> critters and not spend the whole time getting incap'd. And the
> rifleman brings the ability to pull one critter from a group of them
> safely. But the rifleman also has a definite use within group and
> enhances the group specs.
>
> Take the ability to solo hunt away and I'm gone as well.

One of my friends had a great idea about making new areas variable
difficulty based on the group you are in. Kind of like how missions
increase in difficulty the more Masters you get into it. Then, have the
rewards based off the difficulty - if you are in a group of
Acid/Electricity spitting Pikes/BHs/Commandos on the Corvette, have a
lot more SBDs spawn then if you were in a group of say TKAs (based on
vulnerabilitys and weapon selection) and then have good stuff drop
accordingly. That way, either solo or small groups can have a go at it,
but at the same time a large group will be worth being in.

Of course, since it wasn't a rant or complaing about broken stuff, it
didn't last on the front page of the forum for more than two minutes.
Go figure.

- Oalan

<Skinner1@hotmail.com> wrote > Agreed. There needs to be some sort of system
where the guys in the
> back get some loot too. Over in EQ the Druids and the healer types who
> stood back and supported the tanks never got to loot anything at all.
> Same in this game. And the old "Group with people you trust" argument
> doesn;t hold water when your play times are irregular.
>
> This "Forced Grouping" is a failed concept that has been tried in
> several games over the past 5 years. It's never worked. I know that
> the game managers LOVE the concept though and continue to rely on it
> as a way of promoting contunied subscription due to peer pressure. But
> it has never worked and in most cases has degraded the enjoyment of
> the game.

I am a master riffleman and 4440 doc...so i am way in the back with the most
powerful shot and never get the loot..and am begged to run in to heal the
fallen...

of course the critter decides im lunch and there goes the whiole mission..

at least im honest enough to finish the beastie off when they die and split
the rewards..

now everyone want to be a riffle/brawler or riffle /bh because they see my
shots do three times the damage theirs does..but i cant take 3 bites from a
krayt before im dead...and they can stand there all day..people just dont
get it.

oh and anyone saying its not fair for a riffleman to run and gun..well dont
duel out in the open..lol..i have had pikemen with diseas take me out as i
tried to run...and i was weak as a baby...running is all we got..the moment
you catch us we are dead...so give us a break
<sigh>