Sign in with
Your question

Program to batch remove .bak file extensions

Last response: in Windows 7
September 3, 2011 8:24:38 PM

I used an Mp3 renaming program which I know cant remember and I stopped it midway through as I didnt know if it was doing what I wanted, I had set it up to remove numbers from the beginning of files, and it added a .bak extension to almost all of my files and now I need to get them off. I have since removed the program before I noticed that and I was wondering if anyone knew of a program or script that would allow me to batch remove the extensions.
a b $ Windows 7
September 3, 2011 10:22:59 PM

Did it add the .bak extension or change the .mp3 extension to .bak ?? If it just changed the extension then you can easily use the command prompt and DOS's Rename command (ren) to revert them by opening the command prompt - moving to the folder that the files are in and typing :
Quote:
ren *.bak *.mp3 and hitting return(enter)

REN is the Rename Dos command and the * is a wildcard marker so this will rename all files in that folder with the .bak extension to the same filename with the .mp3 extension (ie. song01.bak would become song01.mp3)

Here is an article that details the process and also explains a bit on changing to the proper folder for running that command
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 3, 2011 11:23:05 PM

go to the folder where the . bak files are

hold ctrl and press f

in the search box type . bak

when it is finished holf ctrl and press a then dellete key
m
l
!