Kenny007

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Well, there's a first time for everything, so here goes. I generally don't ask for help on forums, I just pace around the room and swear and keep trying til I figure the issue out. Anyways, the issue...

I built this PC over a year and a half ago. Some of the major components are as follows

EVGA 680i SLI A1 Motherboard
E6600 CPU
4x 1GB Kingston HyperX 800MHZ DDR2 memory
1x EVGA 8800GTS w/ 640mb
150GB WD Raptor HD
Antec 900 Case

(Let me know if you need more specs)

Anyways, like any other day, I wanted to game, so on my machine went or so I thought. Didn't want to start though...so I looked in the case and my side fan came out of the panel some, so I reseated it. After one more failed try, on the PC went.

I browsed the net for about 10 minutes, then down the PC went again. Whenever the PC shuts off, it doesn't want to come back right away. A short wait later, and the PC is running again.

Now my concern is growing, as this is unheard of for my rig. I have had an overclock on it of 3.2GHz for the majority of it's life with no issue, so I began to suspect that. This time around I ran ORTHOS on a blended test for about a half hr with no issue, though apparently the moment I left the room, the PC shut off again....

So, for the first time in nearly 2 yrs, I decided to bring the PC back to default specs. Restored the BIOS to defaults, and upon selecting Save & Exit, the PC shut off again...what the hell....

Time to start the suspect part elimination. I took out memory in pairs; either way the PC failed. Tried just one...failed. Removed both Hard drives and started the PC. With nothing to boot to, it eventually tried to boot off the network. While searching, it shut off again....

Removed all optical drives, failed. Removed my sound card (only expansion card outside of the GTS), failed.

Was too late to continue, so I called it a night.

Now at work, I've pretty much boiled it down to PSU, CPU, or MB. Granted the issue screams of an overheating issue, but with the 7ish fans in the tower, PLUS the Tuniq Tower I have on my CPU (google it if you havent heard of it...best air cooler I've ever owned....was always 23c or less idle overclocked), heat was never an issue, which was confirmed in the short span my PC was on. Sadly, I no longer work at a PC repair shop like I did when I built it, so parts are scarce to switch out. Now, as corporate IT, this place has LESS to work with. In addition, I moved out of state, so friends to pawn off of are scarce.

My last intention is to test the PSU with my former unit, a P4 tower, to see if it shuts down the same. My only concern though is that the P4 unit wont be asking for even half the power my current rig did, so it may provide a false positive.

Having dealt with countless individuals PC issues, as well as built over 200 PCs myself, I'm leaning towards a motherboard. At the shop I used to work at, it always seemed that CPUs were generally the survivor when a motherboard or CPU were suspect; they just seemed more resilient. I should be able to RMA the board or the PSU if needed, but I can't be sure which it could be. Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated, as I'm at wits end with this at work while I can't work on my rig at home.

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS