DVI output no longer works

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I used my computer this morning at around 10AM for a few minutes and everything was fine. I got home at around 8:30 and when I got to my computer I couldn't get any thing on my screen which is a Acer AL2216W 22inch, the computer was never powered down, to my knowledge. The screen is also connected to my Xbox 360 through its VGA port. That works fine. So I put a DVI to VGA converter on my GPU (AMD HD4850), and that works fine and is what I'm currently using. To make sure it wasn't somehow the DVI cable or the screens DVI port I connected it to my bros computer which has a 8800GTS. It also worked fine. It cannot be Windows or a driver issue because I can't see the POST either, the only way I know my computer is working is because of the beep it gives during successful boot and the loading light runs. So why does the DVI output on my MSI AMD HD4850 no longer work on both of the connectors in the back?

Thanks in advance.

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I had a similar problem with my AL2216W, it would work ok until Windows starts to load then go into standby mode. VGA would work fine, but not DVI. Turns out the device ID information in the monitor became corrupt somehow. The monitor sent that corrupt information to the video card during the display driver loading, video card got confused and switched to VGA output, screen stops receiving signals.

It might not be exactly the same problem (since yours doesn't seem to turn on at all, even for the POST) but I fixed it by simply unplugging the monitor from power for a good half hour.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Hmmm, I read this thing about the LCD having residue power after you unplug it and how something can become corrupt like you said. So I left it unplugged through the night and now it works fine. Kinda weird.