Raid 1 MBR recovery please help!

volt

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2005
Hi,

This weekend I installed a new motherboard (Gigabyte UD2H) and amd cpu (965BE). Previously I had a another gigabyte board and an older amd cpu. So previously with the older motherboard I had a raid 1 (mirror) configuration of two sata drives (non bootable, only used for storage). Now with the newer mobo, in defining the array for raid 1...I changed the setting to boot with MBR which erased all the data on both the drives.

I tried disabling the raid controller in bios however when I boot into win7 the drives dont show up unless going into computer management and storage and the drives show up as unallocated space. I'm afraid allocating the space will erase all the data.

Is there a way to undo the MBR and recover all the data on the drives as it was before? Please help as there is 10 years worth of data on these two drives and I dont have any other backup. Thanks in advance.

volt

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2005

I tried testdisk but it couldnt find any partition. I am using active partition recovery and it found a partition but after recoverying, windows 7 is asking me to format the disk.

Try this, i read in another threads and works fine.

Open "System Recovery Options" on the repair disk, or OS disk.
Open up the Command Prompt.Try typing the following commands in order:

1- bootrec /fixmbr and hit enter
2- bootrec /fixboot and hit enter
3- bootrec /rebuildbdc and hit enter

Cheers!

volt

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2005

In order to do this, wouldn't I need to created a partition of the unallocated space. How do I enter in commands for the drive without a partition? Also I cant find system recovery options in my windows 7 CD.

--------------------

If you need recover the files, use Active File recovery.

For the system recovery option, insert the cd, and when the "Install now" option is showed, got to the down left side of the screen and you can find there.