alphaman9

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
I have an AMD X2 64 BE 5000+ with a XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler. The idel temp. is around 104F, the CPU voltage is 1.35v. Is the temp too high for an idle CPU? Could lower the CPU voltage helps bring the temp down a bit? What happens if you lower the CPU voltage? I use arctic silver and spread a thin layer through most of the CPU. I also applied a thin layer on the surface of the cooler to cover any crevices.

Also, the cooler is a bit noisy imo. I've seen some home built pc that is totally silent. I mean you can't hear it running at all, like a proprietary pc. How do I obtain that noise level?

Thanks.

I was worried until i saw it was Farenhight.

On average, most CPU's idle around 45 degrees CELCIUS. 65 Celcius at full load is my accepted maximum allowed heat (although some are comforatble up to 75 degrees C).

In short, your perfectly fine.

alphaman9

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
Thanks for your input gamerk. I was wondering by lowering the CPU voltage would cool it down a bit, but will its performance by interrupted.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Lower voltage will decrease its stability, but not decrease performance. Ideally, get the voltage to the lowest possible point for a given clock rate that is still stable.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
where do you live at? hot california weather (avg. 100F daily) has brought my cpu idling up to 45C at first i was worried than i realized it was the hot weather...

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
Yeah I am in LA, and my case temp was 95 degrees today.

If you want your machine to run cooler with out upgrading the cooling solution, you would have to try underclocking.

alphaman9

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
I live in San Diego..yep felt the heat yesterday. The voltage is set to default..1.35v and that's the lowest it'll go. My CPU is AMD 64 Brisbane 5000+ BE, the clock speed is 266Mhz, multiplier is 13. I checked the cpu temp yesterday and it was at 64 C @_@...holy cow and that was at idle. Oh, I'm not overclocking it. My cooler is a Xigmatek HDTs963.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I checked the cpu temp yesterday and it was at 64 C

WAY too high for idle.

Sounds like you applied too much TIM, and the CPu is now being insulated, causing the heat to build up instead of transfer.

Remove the HSF, clean off all the TIM everywhere, then reapply with a drop on the center of the CPu, about the size of a grain of rice. Reattach your HSF and go.

alphaman9

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
What do I clean it with? Do I need to clean the bottom of the HSF as well? What applying the TIM, do I need to spread it out or just put a drop in the center and put the HSF over it?

Thank you for the helpful tips.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Yes, you need to clean the TIM off both the CPu and HSF. Wipe it off with a paper towel / coffee filter / cotton swabs / whatever, and rubbing alcohol (over 90%).

When it's all clean, just put one drop on the CPu, in the center. Don't spread it out. Press and secure your HSF. Away you go.

On the issue of packing peanuts, I can't comment, because I have no idea. I wouldn't try it though.

alphaman9

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
Once again..thank you all..especially seboj. I used to ship items on fleebay and use packing peanuts. A few of them stuck to my hand and I can't shake them off. They do have static electricity because they have the contents of a styrofoam.

twhoffman

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
I'd be careful using packing peanuts. Not only do you have to worry about static, but they can cause lots of grief. I just spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my board. It was running fine for weeks. I shut it down to re-route the power cord in an effort to make under my desk look somewhat organized. I turned it back on, and it wouldn't even POST. I disconnected all my USB devices, and no luck. I disconnected my drives, and it started working. I plugged the drives back in, and it worked. I shut down, and it wouldn't power up again. I kept pulling things out, eventually finding a different component that, when removed, would make it POST again, only to have it fail after I shut it down. Eventually, I had everthing out, including RAM and memory, and replaced the power supply and CPU with another. It gave me some error beeps. I shut it off, and powered up again, and it was dead again, no POST, no beeps, and I didn't even touch anything.

I was just about to call up Asus and request another RMA (I just got this back not too long ago) when I noticed a tiny piece of a packing peanut sitting on the motherboard. I pulled it off, and it's worked beautifully since. It must've been sucked in by the fan. I didn't think a tiny piece like that would cause problems. It was too small to test, so I found a larger piece and hooked it up to a multi-meter. Sure enough, it was conductive. It must have been shorting something out. When I started moving things around, it eventually was knocked around enough so it wasn't causing a problem. After awhile, the fans would make it move back into a "bad" position.

So, I guess the moral is be careful with packing peanuts. They may look innocent, but some of them are conductive. I'm just lucky it was a harmless short and I didn't fry my entire system.

Which means the second moral is to get a good dust screen on your chasis fan intakes so you don't suck tiny pieces of conductive material into your computer.