Overheating with Saphire HD3870

XvEzErX

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Hi, long time lurker, but been having some problems lately so i decided to register ;)

1st off system specs

550W PSU
2 gig ddr2
amd athlon x2 6000+
1 320 gig SAta Drive
mobo; ECS GeFroce6100SM-m2 (I know **** mobo I was just too broke to update it when I updated the rest of the PC)

When I got this card, I was very happy with it. Ran everything I could throw at it at high settings. I wanted to see if it can overclock, but I didn't get much success with it, so I'm running it at stock speed. But after the overclocking business ( I only tried OC with the auto tune) I got less performance out of it @ stock speeds.

anyways, to the problem. I still play C&C Zero Hour with this mod called Shockwave (also increases graphics quality) and the card overheats at random. By random I mean, sometimes i can play for hours and not get it or I get it after 20 mins of playtime. This also happens with UT3 on high settings. But I don't get overheating with COD4, Supreme Commander nor crysis.

I have the fan set on at least 60% at all times, and my normal temperatures are 35-45 at idle and 60-65 under load. But with UT3 and Especially with Shockwave, it goes upwards to 77-80 degrees (even with the fan @70%) and the screen goes black and I have to restart.

Can the motherboard be a problem?

Could the card have been damaged when I tried to OC?

or could be simply the heat sink not seated properly? (not sure if those temps are normal)

possibly a combination? :/

Another thing, would the PSU not supplying enough power on the 12v be the cause of all this? I had it running on a lower PSU but that PSU died; turned out it was running with 20amps on the 12v. so I bought an adequate PSU, but the card might be damaged already?

Thanks in advance

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Undervolting will not hurt anything.
Im sure you checked for dust and loose cables?
80 C is perfectly fine for any GPU, upwards of that, 90 etc. is getting toasty.
Are you sure all of your heat sinks are secure? Including the CPU? i hear the UT3 is Cpu intensive and could be overheating your CPU. Unlikely but not outside the realm of possibility.
Overclocking a card usually doesn't damage it unless you volt mod mod it, which you didn't say you did so i am assuming the card is fine.

so... whats the exact model of you power supply? **** ones cause this stuff.
If we rule that out then Blame ECS.

XvEzErX

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Yeah its not exactly name brand supply, Noma, the guy I bought the other PSU from that died replaced it for free, so I took it.

CPU temp never goes above 45-46 Celsius. and for the 3870 im pretty sure that 80 degrees is pretty high.

I forgot to say, sometimes I don't have to restart the PC, but the VPU recover kicks in, so I'm pretty sure its the card overheating. As soon as I can check the temp on the card after a lock up, its always around 80 Celsius, no more.

I don't really know what to do though. Last time this happened the fan was running at 75 percent, fixed, and it still heated up. I raise the speed any more and the noise of the fan is just insane. after around 45-50 % the fan gets audible, and after that it just gets worse. Before I could run the fan at 30-35% and I wouldn't have overheating. It started with shockwave, then with UT3 and its more frequent and with higher and higher fan speed settings :/

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
If you have a small screwdriver, thermal compound, and a five fingered hand then just re-seat the heatsink on the card. Easiest thing to do and shouldn't void any warranties.
Manufactures tend to do a terrible job applying thermal compound.
good luck!