Sign in with
Your question
Closed

No automatic/Plug-n-Play anymore, Windows doesn't finds any driver

Last response: in Windows XP
December 15, 2010 9:42:21 AM

Hi,

now im working on this problem since 3 days.. I restored a old (productive) system on new hardware. This windows i can not simply reinstall!

i used the devcon.exe to remove all driver installations befor booting on new hardware.

on the restored system no driver installs automaticaly on new hardware detection.
manually giving c:\windows\inf to the driver install dialog doesn't find anything fitting.
but two other copies of the inf folder (and system32+system32/drivers) are working
the strange the one copy comes from the old system
my 2nd copy i got from a fresh xp sp3 installation
both are working

BUT simpel IDE Channel driver oder USB-Hub-Controller driver all orginal from microsoft don't pass the logo-test driver signature stuff

NEXT i copied the working inf and system32 folder over the running-buggy system, but this doens't helped
i have this inf folder, where the new hardware driver search finds something, this folder i copied to windows/inf, all files have been copied. but windows find anything be searching his own windows/inf folder but it finds when searching an copy of this inf folder on d:/inf

any ideas?
a b \ Driver
December 15, 2010 3:51:04 PM

You need to download all the proper drivers for the system from the vendors and install them. Chipset, BIOS update, video/audio, etc...

You can ignore the logo testing messages.

Or re-install Windows clean on the new system. There are many problems with restoring a system image created on one hardware onto another unless you know what steps to take.
April 12, 2013 6:05:04 PM

Drivers that are installed during the "Installing Devices" portion of GUI-mode Setup have to be found in certain locations. At this point, Setup installs the devices (by using Plug and Play IDs) that have been enumerated by Windows Plug and Play. Setup searches a predefined path on the drive, looking in .inf files to find the best match for the Plug and Play ID of the device. This path is defined in the following registry location and is set to %SystemRoot%\Inf by default:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath: REG_EXPAND_SZ:%SystemRoot%\Inf

Setup uses this path to locate .inf files for device installation. After Setup, this path is also used for any new hardware found and installed. If you modify this key during Setup by using the Sysprep.inf or Unattended answer file, the value is saved and is also used after Setup.
!