Sign in with
Your question

Can't Install Windows x64 On New System

Last response: in Motherboards
October 30, 2008 4:38:27 PM

I have spent all week trying to solve this problem and I am ready to return everything because I'm so frustrated!

The issue is, I cannot install Vista x64 on my new system. Everytime I try, I get a STOP: 0x0000007E on WimFsF.sys immediately after the "load drivers" screen. Additionally, It cannot install Windows XP x64 either. I cannot recognize the OS after the first part of the install, which copies the data over.

I can't get to a UI (non-ansi) on either OS. However, x32 and Ubuntu install just fine. It's as thogh I need to enable 64-bit support somewhere.

I have read a million threads this week and here is what I've already tried:

- Updated the Bios
- Reducing the memory to 2GB
- Increasing the voltage to my DDR
- Called Asus and asked if there were known issues
- Toggling random switches in my bios, including memory remap
- Removing my sata disc drive and installing from a usb drive
- Removing my Hard drive and video card and using basic ones
- Removing any extra components (Soundcard, usb adapters, ect..)
- Using a different Windows disc (1 with SP1, the other without. Both from MSDN)

I'm no hardware genius, so I could clearly be doing something wrong, but I can't imagine what.

Here's my setup:

- Maximus II Formula
- Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q9550
- WD VelociRaptor 300 GB SATA Hard Drive
- Corsair Dominator 8gb (4x2GB) DDR2-1066
- ATI 4870x2

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2008 4:47:18 PM

Check that AHCI is disabled, and make sure that the RAID option in the BIOS is turned off. Could also be a driver issue (had the same issue with an old ASUS MB) as the MB/OS did not "See" my HDD, when trying to install 64bit OS. Also check which SATA ports you are using (on Gigabyte boards the auto RAID ones are purple).
October 30, 2008 4:52:30 PM

IH8U said:
Check that AHCI is disabled, and make sure that the RAID option in the BIOS is turned off. Could also be a driver issue (had the same issue with an old ASUS MB) as the MB/OS did not "See" my HDD, when trying to install 64bit OS. Also check which SATA ports you are using (on Gigabyte boards the auto RAID ones are purple).

Thank you very much for the response! I have toggled RAID and AHCI and neither have worked. I have also tried every sata port on my board :) 

Now, what your saying about the drivers is a great idea, but I don't know how in inject my drivers into the installer.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2008 4:55:24 PM

Try loading your BIOS setup defaults and installing from the DVD. Also try flashing your BIOS and updating with the latest version.
October 30, 2008 5:01:11 PM

The first impression to me is that your CPU might be malfunctioning with the 64 bit architecture. have you tried to install ubuntu 64 bit? or any other 64bit OS. Honstly i have installed x64 on all on our machines and never had this problem, i had different problems,much weirder then yours :)  also maybe try to install winxp32 and run cpuid and see if it comes up with an error.
October 30, 2008 5:01:58 PM

evongugg said:
Try loading your BIOS setup defaults and installing from the DVD. Also try flashing your BIOS and updating with the latest version.

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately I have done both. :( 
October 30, 2008 5:04:41 PM

k-arts said:
The first impression to me is that your CPU might be malfunctioning with the 64 bit architecture. have you tried to install ubuntu 64 bit? or any other 64bit OS. Honstly i have installed x64 on all on our machines and never had this problem, i had different problems,much weirder then yours :)  also maybe try to install winxp32 and run cpuid and see if it comes up with an error.

That's a thought. I could believe my processor is bad. I have considered swapping both my board and processor for new ones
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2008 5:05:51 PM

While the OS is loading drivers it will ask you to press one of the function keys (F-6 I think) to install any 3rd party drivers, or RAID drivers (download the drivers from WD for the HDD). Open the drive, put in the BURNED cd with drivers (you can use a floppy, but why?) install the drivers, then re-insert the OS disk and continue the install.
October 30, 2008 5:16:30 PM

IH8U said:
While the OS is loading drivers it will ask you to press one of the function keys (F-6 I think) to install any 3rd party drivers, or RAID drivers (download the drivers from WD for the HDD). Open the drive, put in the BURNED cd with drivers (you can use a floppy, but why?) install the drivers, then re-insert the OS disk and continue the install.

I don't think F6 is supported in Vista anymore :( 
http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/driver-support/173972-vista-64bit-raid-driver.html

I can't make it past the first screen and never see the UI with the button to select alt drivers.
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2008 5:22:51 PM

I would try RMAing the motherboard, since you have tried everything.
October 30, 2008 5:22:53 PM

I had the same problem installing Vista 64. I first removed a 2GB stick of ram and still had the problem. Then I removed my Audigy ZS card it worked. After the OS finished installing and updated to SP1 I reinstalled the 2GB stick and the audio card and everything worked out.

Good luck.
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2008 5:26:00 PM

Have you tried memtest86+ and hard disk diagnostics?
October 30, 2008 5:28:21 PM

I had the same problem with my new Velociraptor and an ASUS Commando MB. I low-level formatted the drive and Vista 64 installed fine. It seems there was something in its boot sector that Vista didn't like. Vista 32 installed fine though before low level formatting. Try it with Hiren's Boot CD 9.6. It's available everywhere.
October 30, 2008 5:29:10 PM

yeap.. sounds like something defective.
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2008 5:31:22 PM

Memtest86+ is a 32-bit system. You will have to try 4 GB at a time.
October 30, 2008 5:34:45 PM

Interesting!
October 30, 2008 5:38:28 PM

evongugg, Memtest86+ 2.01 on my system with 6Gb RAM and Memory Remap enabled on 965 chipset tests my whole RAM and not only the first 4Gbytes
October 30, 2008 6:09:11 PM

Strangely enough, I would pick up a single 1GB stick of RAM. I have had a similar problem in the past and took my system down to 2GB as well. Once I stopped out at BestBuy for a cheapo stick of 1GB and attempted the install, everything went just fine. I took the stick back afterwards...no loss on my end. :) 

I can't explain why, but all I know is that it fixed my problem!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2008 7:35:40 PM

Quote:
I can't get to a UI (non-ansi) on either OS. However, x32 and Ubuntu install just fine.

I had problems installing Vista 64 on a brand 'new' WD hard drive. I used a copy of Windows XP to format the new hard drive and loaded up XP. After the XP install, the Vista 64 disk was recognized properly and installed correctly.

http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-GB&setl...
October 31, 2008 2:40:43 AM

Turns out my processor was bad after all. Everything is working flawlessly now!

Thanks to everyone who helped out.
!