Quad-core AMD Opteron now powers 37 platforms

thunderman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
OEMs pick AMD because Intel has yet to deliver in the same way AMD has in this market..Nehalem, Intel's K10 clone should balance this...It's just to little to late IMO....considering AMD has offered more advanced server technology for quite sometime now. 37 platforms is very impressive I must say...AMD are on the right track.

http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=750593

SUNNYVALE, Calif. - AMD today announced that Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors now power 37 platforms from global OEMs, nine of which are designed with virtualization in mind.

With Dell's latest M905 PowerEdge blade server introduced today, AMD and Dell can claim the only 16-core x86 server to support 11 tiles or 66 Virtual Machines (VM) in VMmark performance testing1. The new server is now available along with the Dell PowerEdge M805 blade. Both servers are uniquely designed to leverage AMD-Virtualization (AMD-V) technology for enhanced virtualization performance to help businesses maximize valuable datacenter real estate

Virtualization technology is an essential solution for businesses seeking to create efficient and easy to manage data centers

AMD's unique Direct Connect Architecture helps enable the efficient memory and I/O capabilities that memory-intensive virtualization servers require, while alleviating the bottleneck of traditional front-side bus architectures

The new Quad-Core AMD Opteron processor-based Dell PowerEdge line of servers can support VMware ESXi 3.5, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V and Citrix XenServer Dell Express Edition integrated hypervisors

AMD4Life!!

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
For every one of those AMD based server lines I could find two or more based on intel.....my first post here in months is to tell you you fail...again.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

Not on MP platforms you won't. Intel has made inroads into the 4P segment, but AMD is still top dog in the 8P segment and has been for years. This may change with the introduction of Nehalem but that will likely depend on how well Shanghai performs and how long it takes Intel to get their MP platforms for Nehalem into the channel.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
AMD may actually hang on to that segment. Unfortunately, its a small segment. On the good side, it is lucrative....at least due to the lack of solid competition. But now.....

Well normally when it comes to servers there are 2 main features they look at. The performance and the heat output.

Price tends to come in thrid there because normally the more you can do faster at the same time, the more money you save. Same goes with power usage too.

So AMD had better hope that Nehalem is not that good when scaling or they wont hold that market as easily as they would like.

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I have to say that I suspected this was a Thunderman post before I opened it.
Where is Baron by the way. He made a quick appearance a while back, and I haven't seen anything since. Is Thunderman his faithful sidekick in tights?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Which is one of the reasons why the 8p segment is lucrative.