SingSing

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
Hey all,

I'm having some issues with my Asus G2PC laptop. I guess it definitely needs a clean install, but I'm afraid there are other problems with it that only a service can solve.

Until that time comes...to troubleshoot I've downloaded a couple of utilities, and one of them is showing that the CPU hits 72C (161F) when I only have Firefox running. Is that kind of heat normal for this computer or this CPU?

Also, I used CPU-Z to check the CPU and it says the core speed is 997,5 MHz most of the time, but when I do something more demanding it jumps up to 1995 MHz. Why is this? I thought there were 2 cores and each of them should run at 2 GHz (2000 MHz) all the time.

Thanks in advance,

SingSing

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
The speed difference is due to SpeedStep. You can disable it in Bios.

As for temperature, not it's not good. Thermal threshold is 71C. It should not exceed that even at max load.

SingSing

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
Thanks dagger. I'll check the BIOS again, but unfortunately there are not many things to change on this particular laptop.

Got any idea why the temp is like this? My freaking fan is usually working double shifts to keep temperatures down.

I'm guessing it's related to my other issues. The ATI X1700 GPU is also behaving very strangely. Clicking sounds from what I think is the GPU every now and then. Screen flickering like mad and then turning itself off frequently. This thing needs some TLC.

SingSing

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
Yes, I purchased a 3-year warranty, so I still have 15 months of warranty. '

Ouch... How do you mean? They don't live up to their commitments?

Kari

Splendid
I'd bet it's just full of dustbunnies, use some compressed air to blow them out of the heatsinks... though I'm not sure how easy it is to clean up a laptop but hey, you can allways try :)

Laptops are rated quite a bit warmer, and they tend to run fairly low fanspeeds to keep it quiet. I wouldn't be surprised if that temperature were perfectly normal.

Note: the thermal spec on the T7200 is 100 C

SingSing

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008

You're right...probably lots of mishaps hiding in there. I opened it up a bit yesterday evening and cleaned it as good as I could. I think I managed to clean the CPU fan and air outlet, but apart from that there was not much I could do with just a few small spots open. I would like (and probably need) to remove the entire bottom to get a better overview of the situation, but there are just too many screws and I don't want to mess things up should I need to get it to ASUS. Due to this cleaning there was a substantial difference i fanspeed (and noise) yesterday evening, and the temp went down a couple of degrees. But today I'm once again back to normal. Only having FireFox and a few small apps running keeps me at around 68 degrees, but as soon as I stress the machine we're back in 70-75C territory.

Cheers

SingSing

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008

Thanks for the link and good news. Then 70-75 ain't terminal after all.

Cheers