Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2008 12:07:40 PM

I'm currently using:

EVGA 8800GT graphics
ABIT IP35 pro motherboard
INTEL E6750 CPU
Corsair HX620 pwr sup
SAMSUNG 19" LCD (1440 x 900)

I'm thinking about purchasing an ATI 4870 graphics card. Would the benefits be worth the cost, considering my current build? Specifically, with the 4870 being a PCI-E 2.0 and my motherboard being PCI-E 1.0. Also, with my current monitor and resolution.

Mainly play FPS's .

Thanks for any opinions and recommendations.
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2008 12:10:58 PM

30% better fps, plus able to crank eye candy as high as youd like
August 19, 2008 12:18:56 PM

A 16x PCI-e 1.0 slot should handle a 4870 just fine.
Related resources
August 19, 2008 12:56:15 PM

As far as I know, most benchmarks for the 4870 were done with PCI-e 1.0 motherboards anyway. At any rate, as far as anyone has been able to tell, the switch from PCI-e 1.0 to 2.0 makes no real difference as far as performance goes. The only really measurable difference is that PCI-e 2.0 can deliver more power through the slot itself, which could POTENTIALLY be of use to some overclockers in select situations, but of no direct use to 99.9% of us.

As far as performance-wise, the 4870 tends to take an 80-100% lead over the 8800GT in Crysis with AA enabled; a noticeable lead, but by my philosophy, not cause for *me* to upgrade; I personally don't fully recommend a video card upgrade unless you can get at least a 120-150% gain. Then again, that's me, and I'm not you; while I would stay with the 8800GT were I in your position, you might rather have the improvement.
August 19, 2008 1:25:52 PM

Heya,

I wouldn't bother with the upgrade. You're going to spend a ton of money for that if you think about it. Have you considered just picking up a 2nd 8800gt and going SLI? At high resolution, this will outperform most other $200+ solutions that are single card based. Considering you can get another 8800gt for like $110 now.

Very best,
August 19, 2008 1:26:02 PM

People, please wake up. He's on a 19-inch monitor, the sweet spot for a 8800GT. If it were 22" I'd say go for it, but 19" @ 1440x900, keep what you got.
August 19, 2008 2:09:55 PM

Keep the 8800gt. I think that you would not be able to see the difference with hd470.

Save your money till next graphic cycle.
August 19, 2008 2:14:37 PM

Unless you got a very clueless buyer lined up for your 8800 GT, I wouldn't bother. Specifically, what games are you having trouble playing on your 8800 GT?
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2008 2:16:33 PM

Actually, it depends on the games, and upcoming games. Its forwards looking, if you will. The OP just needs to determine if its worth it. Certain games will benefit, most wont. Future games? Probly most will, but I dont like buying for the future, but the OP might
August 19, 2008 2:18:51 PM

I have almost the exact same setup as you except for the Motherboard and power supply.
I can tell you Upgrading from the 8800GTS 640mb to did not impact any game except for Crysis; in which the difference is huge at EVERY resolution (settings maxxed).

Honestly it depends on what games you play but like others said another 8800gt might be the best bet for you in terms of bang for the buck.

I only picked up the 4870 for the 7.1 audio out through hdmi.
August 19, 2008 2:25:12 PM

I don't like buying for the future simply for the fact that in the future we'll have cheaper/faster alternatives. It's not like the op is in a "must buy" situation... he's already got a very competent gaming card.
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2008 2:29:45 PM

Yea, if he isnt satisfied with his current experience, then change it, if he is, stay put. The OP didnt really say one way or another. Thats really the crux of his/her decision
a c 143 U Graphics card
August 19, 2008 2:42:46 PM

malveaux said:
Heya,

I wouldn't bother with the upgrade. You're going to spend a ton of money for that if you think about it. Have you considered just picking up a 2nd 8800gt and going SLI? At high resolution, this will outperform most other $200+ solutions that are single card based. Considering you can get another 8800gt for like $110 now.

Very best,

LOL, SLI on the aBit IP35 Pro. PLEASE post photos if you manage to do that. :pt1cable: 

a c 143 U Graphics card
August 19, 2008 2:44:54 PM

wonderingwhatis said:
I have almost the exact same setup as you except for the Motherboard and power supply.
I can tell you Upgrading from the 8800GTS 640mb to did not impact any game except for Crysis; in which the difference is huge at EVERY resolution (settings maxxed).

Honestly it depends on what games you play but like others said another 8800gt might be the best bet for you in terms of bang for the buck.

I only picked up the 4870 for the 7.1 audio out through hdmi.

Nope, it's not best bang for the buck because it would also require buying a SLI motherboard.
August 19, 2008 3:01:44 PM

Velpecula said:
I'm thinking about purchasing an ATI 4870 graphics card. Would the benefits be worth the cost, considering my current build?

Well I wouldn't recommend upgrading unless you are having trouble playing games at the settings you want. My rig is almost identical to yours (same processor, same GPU, same size monitor) and I find that every game except Crysis runs smoothly with pretty much max settings and 4xAA + 8-16xAF.

The 8800GT is quite a lot of card for the price, especially if you aren't afraid of a little overclocking (mine is factory OCed). The only thing that irks me is the craptastic cooler, but if I manually set it to 45% it stays stable without blowing out my eardrums :D 

Edit: Holy **** these adwords have got to go...
August 19, 2008 4:29:22 PM

I will keep my 8800GT.
August 19, 2008 6:01:29 PM

Thanks to all for the replies.

Being single, I sometimes need someone to help put things in perspective sometimes. I don't really need to change anything. I'm not having any problems with any games, and I'm happy with what I've got. I just get the "rebuild/upgrade" bug every so often.

I think I'll keep what I have until there's a need to upgrade. Or at least until I'm ready to rebuild completely, which is about every 1-1/2 to 2 yrs. My current build is a little less than a year old.

I've had VISTA sitting on my desk for about 6 months now. Maybe I'll install it and see what DirectX 10 is all about. I'll get my "something new" fix that way. I started researching my dual boot options and never made a decision on how I wanted to do that, so I never installed it.

A couple of you asked what games I play. FEAR, COD series, BIOSHOCK are some of my favorites. Crysis I enjoyed but was a little disappointed due to all the pre-release hype. Currently playing STALKER again to get revved up for STALKER:CLEAR SKIES that's supposed to come out soon. And I've read that there will be a new CRYSIS coming out in a few months.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Thanks for helping me see that again.
August 19, 2008 8:13:53 PM

Velpecula said:
Being single, I sometimes need someone to help put things in perspective sometimes. I don't really need to change anything. I'm not having any problems with any games, and I'm happy with what I've got. I just get the "rebuild/upgrade" bug every so often.

I get the same way sometimes, but I'm pretty sure I'll be waiting until a fair amount of games are released that my 8800GT can't handle. For better or worse I think that'll be a while since basically all AAA titles are multi-platform.
Velpecula said:
A couple of you asked what games I play. FEAR, COD series, BIOSHOCK are some of my favorites. Crysis I enjoyed but was a little disappointed due to all the pre-release hype. Currently playing STALKER again to get revved up for STALKER:CLEAR SKIES that's supposed to come out soon. And I've read that there will be a new CRYSIS coming out in a few months.

Clear Skies has the potential to be pretty demanding since it's a PC exclusive. Obviously the same goes for Warhead, although Crytek is claiming that it'll be less demanding than Crysis...
August 19, 2008 9:49:22 PM

keep the 8800GT
August 19, 2008 10:50:58 PM

i asked the same Q and most advised me not to upgradebut i think i will (but most probably with the gtx 260) :D 
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2008 10:55:17 PM

at that resolution ur card will handle mostly every game currently out. Keep the card for now and then upgrade when the next series of cards come out.

SENTENECED83 the gtx260 is a really good card.
=]
August 19, 2008 11:02:00 PM

i know its , but am playing on a low res. so i dont think i'll notice a difference ! but its coz i get around 20 FPS on crysis *(with my 8800 gt superclocked edition) high settings with 4AA or 8aa i dont remember) and i want to raise the Fps , am really confused if to get the gtx260 or the 4870
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2008 11:12:09 PM

well both gtx260 and 4870 r good cards but the 4870 has a slight edge over the gtx260 but if u were to oc the gtx260 the gap would close.
i run crysis @ 1680x1050, all very high, 16aa and i get 18-24fps with a single gtx260 but when i enable sli for both my gtx260 i get 28-34fps. results would differ because not everyone has the same spec pc if u were to get the gtx260 i wouldnt promise that kind of performance might get more or less. both cards r good so u cant go wrong. good luck.
=]
August 20, 2008 12:12:41 AM

i have a 6000 x2 , and 3072 Mb ram (667) , what performance would i expect with crysis ?
a c 143 U Graphics card
August 20, 2008 12:47:06 AM

Just curious, are you planning to play Crysis for a long time? I know somebody who finished it in 22 hours and decided never to touch it again. It would be a shame to upgrade just for one game and then get bored with it next week. Is your 8800GT still doing a good job in your other games?
a c 143 U Graphics card
August 20, 2008 12:50:41 AM

sentenced83 said:
i have a 6000 x2 , and 3072 Mb ram (667) , what performance would i expect with crysis ?

It depends on your resolution, settings and video card. That is, your CPU and RAM are good enough and they won't cause bottlenecks. For example if you look here, the fps in Crysis did not really depend on the CPU (Q9450 is faster than Phenom 9850, but both got about 40 fps):
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=763&p=7
The motherboard didn't matter either.

August 20, 2008 1:01:03 AM

on a low res. ( 1280X1024) , am thinking about upgrading the monitor later on , after i get teh gtx 260 (instead of the 4870)

am playing on that res. with high setteings (everything) and 4Xaa or 8 am not sure , and am getting around 20 Fps :s
August 20, 2008 2:47:57 PM

malveaux said:
Have you considered just picking up a 2nd 8800gt and going SLI?

You forget that only a small portion of users, (and even still a minority among enthusiasts) have a SLi-capable motherboard, and the OP is not among them that do.

Yes, the motherboard they have has two PCI-express x16 slots, but nVidia refuses to allow Intel to support SLi through their own chipsets, requiring it only work with their own nForce SLi chipsets; exceptions are made for unique platforms, like Intel's Skulltrail, and will apparently also be excepted for Intel's Nehalem boards. But as for all the standard Core2 boards? nVidia chipsets only. CrossFire works on it, though, because AMD isn't so picky.

Velpecula said:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Thanks for helping me see that again.

Not a problem. As I said, were I in your position I'd have stayed put. Yes, future games will result in perhaps demanding better hardware, but definitely for now, it looks good.
!