Can I reconfigure Array without losing OS data?

drew3739

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I have an HP Proliant G4 Server in a production environment with five (5) 36.4GB drives configured in a raid 5.

I have a spare G4 sitting around with 0 drives that was given to me. Functional but with 0 HD's. In the event of a hardware failure on the production G4 (besides the HD's themselves), could I pull the 5 drives from it and move them to the spare G4 (same hardware) and reconfigure the Array to raid 5 and still keep the data in tact? Last I remember once you create a new logical drive it will delete the data (or at least become unbootable). IS there any third party application to help keeping in mind the hardware is the same.

drew3739

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
So you mean get three spare drives and just create a raid 5 array on the spare, then migrate the drives and see if it just picks them up? Would they have to be the same capacity?

goobaah

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Better yet, backup that data and try it with the exact hardware that you are running now. Its not that much space to back it up. .... Edit... I just read that it is production. Hope you can take the downtime to do it. Do you know the exact model? There are a lot of different configs for those servers from what I see on HP's sight. This should be possible to do. How else could the hardware handle a backplane failure or something like that. A disk is not the only thing that can fail in a RAID system.