Windows won't install onto my RAID 0 RAPTORS :( Help me!!!

Mfusick

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
OK,

So I have an old PC I put back together to use in the media room to play movies.

It is an Athalon 939 board (ASUS a8n-SLI deluxe)
I used two original 150gig WD Raptors in Raid 0 (intended for c Drive)
and two 250 gig SATA WD hardrives in Raid 0 (intended for media storage)

I tried windows 7 64bit
Windows 7 32 bit
XP PRO 32 bit

None of them install.

In the BIOS I can see both Raid Set ups.

Windows 7 see's only the Raptors on the NVIDIA SATA RAID chip... but does not see the two others I put on the other built in RAID chip.

I think I just need to install a driver for that, but since I want to install to the 10k rpm drives I am not worries about that now. I can load drives once windows is up and running and bring those drives online... I know they are hooked up properly.

I tested the drives before I put them in.

Basically what happens is I get to the screen in windows 7 where you choose a drive. The raptors are listed. I can delete partition, create a new partion, and format it.

But when I click next... I get a message that says windows is unable to install.

WTF is this BS??

MEGA SUPER THANKS to anyone that can help !!!

Solution
The BIOS may well see the drives plugged into the RAID sockets, but that's not the end of the story.
While in the BIOS configuration utility, go to the Boot menu, select Full Screen Logo and Disable it, (it hides boot progress).

With the Asus splash screen gone now, you will see a point in the boot process, a time when you can press keys to invoke the RAID controller. This is the F4 key on that board. The drives are listed in the BIOS, but have not been properly 'married' at the RAID controller level.

Follow instructions as they appear, adding drives to form the RAID.

You may need the RAID driver disk available when attempting to install windows.

I think the BIOS is supposed to show to press the F10 key to assemble...
The BIOS may well see the drives plugged into the RAID sockets, but that's not the end of the story.
While in the BIOS configuration utility, go to the Boot menu, select Full Screen Logo and Disable it, (it hides boot progress).

With the Asus splash screen gone now, you will see a point in the boot process, a time when you can press keys to invoke the RAID controller. This is the F4 key on that board. The drives are listed in the BIOS, but have not been properly 'married' at the RAID controller level.

Follow instructions as they appear, adding drives to form the RAID.

You may need the RAID driver disk available when attempting to install windows.

I think the BIOS is supposed to show to press the F10 key to assemble the other RAID when you start the computer.

Solution

Mfusick

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
wow you def know my board..

I did this.

f4 and f10

I built the array.

In windows 7.. it would show my array and show it as the combined double of both 150gig raptors (239gig)

But I got the message when try to install.

I managed to install to one raptor drive after deleteing the array... but could not get the pc to boot into windows once I powered down.

On attempt to install to the second drive (other raptor) I got same message. I was simple just unhooking the sata wire from the drive... so the pc only saw one drive. And I deleted the Raid array so it was a simple 1 drive install.

Second drive failed. So I switched back to the first drive.. that failed too :(

The drives worked ok when hooked up to this pc... I have one of those calvary dual drive dock bays that connect USB.. and slapped them in that ... before installing them. Copied info from them.. then formated.

I am at total loss.

Is there a utility program I can check these drives with make sure they are ok ???

Mfusick

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

OK.. I got it running on one drive... Not in raid. Installed windows and it works.

Once windows installed I could go my computer>right click manage... disk managment and format and bring online the raid drive (250gig sata x2) which is on the silicon controller (i think that is the other controller on the board besides the Nforce/Nvidia)

But.. not install on raid. Wondering if one of my raptors has a error or broken ??

How can I test this?

Mfusick

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I have an ASUS a8n-sli deluxe and I am trying to install RAID 0 pair of older WD Raptors and windows 7.

Everytime I try to install windows it says I can not install to this drive.

ASUS does not list any Windows 7 drivers on its support site for this older board.

This is my old pc I decided to put back together just to run movies and music on the projector and entertainment system in the room next to my office.

Any help is greatly apreaciated.

I need to put on 3.5inch and I don't even have a floppy drive on my main X48 based system:(

So I booted windows without raid onto only one drive for now.

I want to make the floppy then reinstall with the RAID set up.

HELP >?????