How to partition my hard drives on Windows 7.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) and three internal hard drives, how should I set up my partions/ drives? My goal is to maximize performance.

I have the following, with the SATA II being my most recent drive at 1 year old, and the other ranging from 3-5 years old.

Seagate 1TB SATA II
Western Digital 200 GB SATA
Maxtor 250GB ATA

Windows Peformance Index gave my 1TB drive a 6.1 for performance. I also have an external 250GB ATA (I think its a Western Digital) hard drive for storing backup files and transferring files between computers.

Here is what my computer will be used for:

1. Computer Games (Empire Total War, World In Conflict, Battlefield 2, Oblivion, etc.). Need reasonable space for current and future games as they are gettign larger all the time.

2. I have a Hauppauge TV card and occasionally make recordings. (Should the TV program be put on its own partition?) (What about recordings?)

3. Music/ Video Files (iTunes downloads/ music cd's) and all the video files I record with my TV card.

Windows has the my documents folder for pictures, world documents, videos and music, but should I leave those empty and just store it on a seperate drive?

Would iTunes see a performance difference if its installed on drive C:, but all the music is on drive D:?

I generally have been using the smaller 2 drives for storage of video files and my tv card program.

4. I have photo shop installed, but don't use it that often. I also have a program for editing the video files I record.

5. Here is how my system is set up at the moment

TB Drive

C: OS/ pictures/ music/ non gaming programs/ data files
D: Games and some video files

250GB Drive

E: filled wiht video files all on one partition

200GB drive

F: The software for my tv card, tv recordings and other video files.
2 answers Last reply
More about partition hard drives windows
  1. Well what ever drive is the fastest is where you want your OS and your Apps. Looks like you have it right. You could make things better with a SSD.
  2. pathasse said:
    Well what ever drive is the fastest is where you want your OS and your Apps. Looks like you have it right. You could make things better with a SSD.

Which plan did I have right, the proposed one or the one I am currently using?

Right now my 1TB drive is divided into two partions (1/4, 3/4) with OS on C:, Games on D: and Music/ data files/ apps on C: as well.

Most sites I have looked at said to put games and apps all on the OS drive, and then put Music/ data files/ Video on a different drive. Thats different from how I have it set up right now.

If I put all my music on Drive D: versus drive C:, should I also install iTunes on Drive D:? or leave iTunes on Drive C:?
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows 7 Storage