wpjssp

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I am planning to build a small computer with a custom case and such in a few months. I have been looking into mini ATX (anyone have +/- opinions of mini?) and to reduce case size I have been looking at server power supplies. My question is whether a servo power supply will work in a desktop. I am assuming it will but don't want to buy all the crap and then find out that it doesn't work. Thanks in advance.

John

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
well this all depends, what kind of server it is going to be, if it is a small SOHO (small office home office) domain, file or web server then mini atx will probably be fine. however if this a server for use in medium+ business or more extensive applications, then your going to really be after a server case or (preferable a rack mountable case) with 'real' server parts (I.E. Xeons...)

if your situation is closer tot he former a GOOD ATX psu will do the trick it doesnt really have to fancy, I.E. doesn't need to modular, but ideally a single rail PSU. a corsair vx550, or hx620. or similar product from other GOOD brands, like PC power and cooling or seasonic. the reason they need to be good, is becasue your server is likely to be 24/7

wpjssp

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Ya I am looking to make a small home server with desktop parts and was wondering if the smaller server power supply will work with the desktop parts. (Smaller in physical dimensions).