Sign in with
Your question

Printing support problem

Last response: in Windows XP
December 15, 2010 6:57:06 PM

Hello,
I have a Lexmark Optra E Plus printer which connects with a parallel port. I recently purchased a USB to parallel port adapter. The adapter is being recognised by my Win XP system. However, I am not sure which port on my PC this USB Print works against. I had thought that I might be able to configure the USB Print as a virtual, or physical port to which I attach my printer.
Maybe I've misunderstood how this should work - any assistance is welcome.
a b \ Driver
December 15, 2010 7:11:18 PM

Have you tried connecting the printer? What happened?

Download and install the drivers, then hook up the printer, it should be detected. If it's not, open up device manager and do a search for new devices.
December 15, 2010 9:57:02 PM

The printer is connected. I also installed the device driver for it.

However, connecting or disconnecting the printer makes no difference. It doesn't get detected.

I've also done a Scan for new devices in device manager...

When I unplug and plug-in the USB/Parallel adapter this does get detected by the system...though the printer is still not found.

The printer works fine when connected to my old PC with a parallel port.
Related resources
a b \ Driver
December 16, 2010 12:21:16 AM

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Printers and Faxes>

Right-click your printer, select Properties, Ports tab, and select "USB001 Virtual port for USB. Click Ok.

Remove USB/Parallel adapter wait 3 seconds or so, plug back in (With printer turned on).

Helped??
December 16, 2010 12:27:30 PM

Tigsounds - strangely enough I had tried similar to that yesterday with the USB0002 port as I already have another printer connect to USB0001.

Anyhow, I changed to USB0001 and did note that when I unplugged/plugged-in the USB/Parallel adapter the port status did update.

I then changed my Lexmark back to USB0002, forced a reset of the printer and it works now.

Thanx for the suggestion.

(BTW, it took me a few moments to realise that I didn't have a small insect crawling about my screen and that it was part of your post footer...at least I hope it was, otherwise I have some creature wandering round my house at the moment!)
!