why aren’t cpus at a native 4ghz yet?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hello all,

I'd like to know why aren’t cpus at a native speed of 4ghz yet?

I mean come on, since the P4 days, there hasn’t been any jaw dropping RAW native speed increases. Sure there’s multiple core's and drastically improved memory/bandwidth techniques used, but the way i see things panning out, I can understand why nvidia/ati want push past the cpu barrier and take on some of the rolls that of the cpu themselves.

A good example is with the gtx280 and the ati4870 where they're both heavily bottlenecked with today's highest native cpu speeds and is pretty much a requirement to o/c your cpu to the 4ghz region to see any decent improvement compared to the last couple generations of gpu's.

I hope amd's and inte'ls next cpu offerings will change all this, because as it stands now, its nearly a waste of money buying new graphic cards if the cpu just hasn’t got the balls to feed them.

:)

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
its harder to get stability with +3.0ghz while in control of temperature/voltage...

but realistically, we've moved far far from p4, to the point where a p4 at 4.0ghz is outperformed by a c2d at half that speed, so really there's no need for us to get higher clocks when we are improving performance from clock to clock.........
again a pentium d a 2.2ghz is destroyed and raped by a c2d at 2.2ghz

and no, bottleneck in those extremes only occur with extremely high end cards such as 4870x2 in extremely low resolutions like 1280x1024... i mean why should someone with that card be playing at those resolutions anyway?

Raw processor frequency is just simply not the way to go anymore. Both AMD and Intel have put their R&D dollars to work on getting more instructions per clock and cramming more processing cores into a processor package.

A single Core 2 core against a single P4 core at the same frequency would be a total bloodbath in favor of Core 2.

AMD was the company that gets the credit for breaking us of our GHZ addiction. They showed us with their Socket A processors and model rating system that their processors would outperform a higher frequency processor. Ever since that time we have relied heavily on benchmarks to tell what processor is better.

Also, as software writers start going multi-threaded (Photoshop, encoding, newer video games like Crysis) we start to see huge gains from multiple cores. It will take a while for software to catch up, but it's happening as we speak!

I beg you to look at performance results, not processor frequencies.

I hope that helps.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
ahh sweet, thanks guys, yea i've got a p4 lol :( going to upgrade soon the near future. I'd thought id give it as an example of speed i guess because im seeing people recieving far better scores from these gpus when they've insanely overclocked their duos and quads to 4ghz, off air, making me think gpus are better off at these speeds then compared to 3.2/3.6ghz.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Because it costs so much to support forum kittahs we cant afford power plants in our backyard and liquid nitrogen pumped to the house :kaola:

While thats generally true, its not an exact truth. Theres several things that make that too general. First off, if youd said or added "for acceptable fps" itd be more true, but even then theres a few things Id like to point out. Using the 4870x2, you cant say that 4xAA has a major effect on that card, as it barely does at all, and many times less than what youd get from a higher oc. Also, once DX10.1/11 comes out, 4xAA will be a moot point, and will give a capable cards a nice fps boost. So far, the only game weve seen it used in, it showed a 20% boost, tho those cards werent very good at AA to nbegin with, and I havnt checked the performance difference on the 4xxx series, which can be found at TR when the 4xxx series was released, as they included the DX10.1 benches on the 4xxx series as well. Needless to say, it made the lower 4850 either beat or come close to the G280, which shows the improvements.
Theres plenty of benches that show the 4870x2 and sometimes the G280 as well still seeing improvements no matter how high the cpu is clocked. In some games, this is important, in most, its not.
One thing a higher oceed cpu will do no matter how good its multithtreaded is in the minimum fps, which is the more important use of fps anyways, so saying higher clocks isnt the way to go, or even higher IPC, isnt true, but mainly due to the law of physics, multithreading is forced upon us, as cpus just cant go much faster, at least until we find a better material to make out cpus from

Its part of the DX model. It allows for fewer passes required, thus adding to or if you will reducing a cycle from the gpu. Remember, its not just a SW requirement, the gpu has to compatable, HW compatable

Unfortunately, the biggest loss IMO we will see from cpus not having higher clocks or IPC will be the inability of a lessor card to reach those acceptable fps, but more important a good gpu with a challenging game wont see improvements in minimal fps, which in the past, if the game was gpu bottlenecked, the cpu could pick up a little slack with the minmum fps. So until multithreading arrives, we will see more of this, as were seeing some of it already, just not enough to worry about, tho if you can crank your cpu up, sometimes it gives you a smoother experience by lifting those minimum fps

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
We hit the clockspeed wall years ago. Multi-core is the future now it seems, for better or for worse...

That being said, with the latest E0 stepping, in a pinch Intel could conceivably release stock 4GHz chips (at least for duals, quads will be harder) and remain under a reasonable TDP.

However since there is currently no competition from AMD in the high end even at 3GHz, I doubt we'll be seeing stock clocked 4GHz chips anytime soon - unless BM's dreams come true and Deneb comes stock clocked at 4GHz, that'll get Intel off their asses. :lol:

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I'd rather see software utilization of more cores, and that includes games as well. The promise of dual cores was that the insane clockspeed race would be supplanted by more elegant programming leading to superior computing. Intel's managed to increase cores with higher clocks since the Core 2 architecture, and AMD looks to be catching up somewhat when 45nm arrives, but overall, I'd rather see a 6 or 8 core at 2.4 gigahertz utilized fully in a few years than to see a dual or quad at 4 gigahertz native and overclocking on water to 5 gigahertz.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
I feel your pain randomizer.. i got a 8800gt AKIMBO (uber cooling) for my inspirion 530... tight fit :D ... and it usually under load is about 55 C.. unless i'm playing crysis and that usually takes it up to about 60C, once it even got to 65C.. and thats with the fan on 75%

Needless to say, im looking for a new case... lol unfortunatly, i haven't seen one so far to slat my lust :( though i do have about 10 bookmarked on newegg eheheh.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007

hah don't feel so bad, coretemp 0.99.3 reports my

Q9450 @ 3.2ghz to be 46,49,45,46

while RealTemp 2.70 reports 41,41,44,41

and this is at night at like 2AM, during the daytime, it hit 50's idle easy. priming takes it up to around 65-67 and this is in a clean wired antec 900 case with front/exhaust/side fans on high. every fan is 120mm, and the top is 200mm which is on medium. :p