Forcing Save Location

August 28, 2005 11:35:04 PM

Greetings all,
I have multiple computers on my network and on each machine, there are
multiple user profiles. I was wondering if there is a way to force the
users to save files to a certain shared location for any programs they use.

I have a folder called C:\DATABACKUP I would like to see if there is a way
to make the default selection for all users as the C:\DATABACKUP folder when
they try to save from a docuement from any program. All the machines are
using WindowsXP SP2. I know that most of this is per user stuff, but wanted
to see if there was a way to force a save to that particular folder. So if
user A uses Word and goes to save the document, it will default to
C:\DATABACKUP and then later when user B logs on and uses Word and goes to
save, it too will default to C:\DATABACKUP

Also noticed in an earlier post about using TweakUI to change Places Bar.
Is there a way to change that globally for all users? So I could add the
C:\DATABACKUP folder to the Places Bar and when they go to save, they can
click on the Places Bar C:\DATABACKUP.

TIA for any assistance

--
Wally Steadman
US Army in Iraq

More about : forcing save location

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:35:05 PM

Wally,

No matter how you customize the Places bar, the user will still have to
click on the correct folder icon in the Places bar. Otherwise it will
default to last location that was used or it will default to whatever
happens to be the default location.

TweakUI
[+] Common Dialogs
Places bar

Places bar
[[This enables changing the location when a common dialog is opened. You can
use the default values or you can choose a custom location to open when a
common dialog box is opened.]]

Common Dialog Boxes
[[The common dialog boxes, such as the Save As dialog box, display the
places bar on the left side. These are shortcuts to common folders, which
make getting around much easier. By default, you see the History, Documents,
Desktop, Favorites, and My Network Places folders there. You can customize
the folders that appear in the places bar by using the Common Dialogs
category in Tweak UI.]]

This is a per-user setting.

TweakUI saves the info here...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg3
2\PlacesBar
Place0
Place1
Place2
Place3
Place4

The above correspond to the five folder icons in the Places bar, top to
bottom.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER are settings for the currently logged on user only.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE are global, machine wide settings.

You would have to use TweakUI for each, individual user on each, individual
machine.

If you have XP Pro, use Group Policy.

According to Jim Boyce,
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows
Explorer\Common Open File Dialog should have this option.

This would be machine wide, i.e.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg
32\Placesbar

I do not have the above key.

Any settings made under Computer Configuration are saved in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Any settings made under User Configuration are saved in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

However, I have XP Pro SP1 and I do not see this option under Computer
Configuration. I only see it under User Configuration. So either this is
added with XP SP2 or available only with Windows Server 2003.

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows
Explorer\Common Open File Dialog

If you have SP2, you will have to look in Group Policy Editor and to see if
it is available under Computer Configuration.

See this...
Items displayed in Places Bar
http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=567

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:e76BWY%23qFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Walter Steadman <walterNOSPAM@steadmanusaNOSPAM.com> hunted and pecked:
> Greetings all,
> I have multiple computers on my network and on each machine, there are
> multiple user profiles. I was wondering if there is a way to force the
> users to save files to a certain shared location for any programs they
> use.
>
> I have a folder called C:\DATABACKUP I would like to see if there is a
> way to make the default selection for all users as the C:\DATABACKUP
> folder when they try to save from a docuement from any program. All the
> machines are using WindowsXP SP2. I know that most of this is per user
> stuff, but wanted to see if there was a way to force a save to that
> particular folder. So if user A uses Word and goes to save the document,
> it will default to C:\DATABACKUP and then later when user B logs on and
> uses Word and goes to save, it too will default to C:\DATABACKUP
>
> Also noticed in an earlier post about using TweakUI to change Places Bar.
> Is there a way to change that globally for all users? So I could add the
> C:\DATABACKUP folder to the Places Bar and when they go to save, they can
> click on the Places Bar C:\DATABACKUP.
>
> TIA for any assistance
>
> --
> Wally Steadman
> US Army in Iraq
> Yahoo Messenger: walter_steadman
> AIM: WallySteadman
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 12:20:59 AM

One thing I was not clear on and that is that I am trying to do this per
machine. Not all users on all machines save to same locqation. Just all
users on EACH machine will save to same location on that machine.

Sorry if that was confusing

Wally

"Walter Steadman" <walterNOSPAM@steadmanusaNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Greetings all,
> I have multiple computers on my network and on each machine, there are
> multiple user profiles. I was wondering if there is a way to force the
> users to save files to a certain shared location for any programs they
> use.
>
> I have a folder called C:\DATABACKUP I would like to see if there is a
> way to make the default selection for all users as the C:\DATABACKUP
> folder when they try to save from a docuement from any program. All the
> machines are using WindowsXP SP2. I know that most of this is per user
> stuff, but wanted to see if there was a way to force a save to that
> particular folder. So if user A uses Word and goes to save the document,
> it will default to C:\DATABACKUP and then later when user B logs on and
> uses Word and goes to save, it too will default to C:\DATABACKUP
>
> Also noticed in an earlier post about using TweakUI to change Places Bar.
> Is there a way to change that globally for all users? So I could add the
> C:\DATABACKUP folder to the Places Bar and when they go to save, they can
> click on the Places Bar C:\DATABACKUP.
>
> TIA for any assistance
>
> --
> Wally Steadman
> US Army in Iraq
> Yahoo Messenger: walter_steadman
> AIM: WallySteadman

Related resources
August 29, 2005 12:21:00 AM

Walter Steadman wrote:

> One thing I was not clear on and that is that I am trying to do this
> per
> machine. Not all users on all machines save to same locqation. Just
> all users on EACH machine will save to same location on that machine.
>
> Sorry if that was confusing
>
> Wally
>
> "Walter Steadman" <walterNOSPAM@steadmanusaNOSPAM.com> wrote in
> message news:e76BWY%23qFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Greetings all,
>> I have multiple computers on my network and on each machine, there
>> are
>> multiple user profiles. I was wondering if there is a way to force
>> the users to save files to a certain shared location for any programs
>> they use.
>>
>> I have a folder called C:\DATABACKUP I would like to see if there is
>> a way to make the default selection for all users as the
>> C:\DATABACKUP
>> folder when they try to save from a docuement from any program. All
>> the
>> machines are using WindowsXP SP2. I know that most of this is per
>> user stuff, but wanted to see if there was a way to force a save to
>> that
>> particular folder. So if user A uses Word and goes to save the
>> document, it will default to C:\DATABACKUP and then later when user B
>> logs on and uses Word and goes to save, it too will default to
>> C:\DATABACKUP
>>
>> Also noticed in an earlier post about using TweakUI to change Places
>> Bar.
>> Is there a way to change that globally for all users? So I could add
>> the C:\DATABACKUP folder to the Places Bar and when they go to save,
>> they can click on the Places Bar C:\DATABACKUP.
>>
>> TIA for any assistance

For *any* program - no. It depends on the options provided by the
program writers. For MS office, go to Options>File Locations and you
can change the default save location to whatever you want. You'll need
to look at each program where you want to do this and see if the option
to change the default save location is available. If it isn't, you'll
need to teach your users how to use Save As.

I don't have the answer about TweakUI for you, but I'm sure someone else
will.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Wes,
Thanks a bunch for the information, I am going to start digging in to it
right now and will let ya know.

Wally

news:o %23cK8HBrFHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> use.
>>
>> I have a folder called C:\DATABACKUP I would like to see if there is a
>> way to make the default selection for all users as the C:\DATABACKUP
>> folder when they try to save from a docuement from any program. All the
>> machines are using WindowsXP SP2. I know that most of this is per user
>> stuff, but wanted to see if there was a way to force a save to that
>> particular folder. So if user A uses Word and goes to save the document,
>> it will default to C:\DATABACKUP and then later when user B logs on and
>> uses Word and goes to save, it too will default to C:\DATABACKUP
>>
>> Also noticed in an earlier post about using TweakUI to change Places Bar.
>> Is there a way to change that globally for all users? So I could add the
>> C:\DATABACKUP folder to the Places Bar and when they go to save, they can

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 2:53:53 PM

Wally,

Here's where I would normally type, Keep having fun. But I think this may
be more appropriate.

Thank you, for your service!

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.