Sign in with
Your question

Restarting whole PC with 260 inside. (heat issue)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2008 6:20:31 PM

When I got the 260 I deleted the HDD and started anew. While windows was formatting and stuff it seemed the card was running on full load the whole time.

The card was pretty hot to the touch, like 3 seconds bearable. I wonder if that brought down performance or damaged anything. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks
a c 183 U Graphics card
August 19, 2008 6:39:01 PM

If I tried to touch the back of my HD4870, I`d lose my fingerprints! If you could hold a finger on the back of yours for several seconds it was running quite cool for a GPU (I think Human skin blisters at 70 degrees).
Not having a GTX260, I do n`t know how it behaves with no drivers loaded, but it sounds as if the fan was running at a high speed when you were reformatting and reinstalling because of a built-in failsafe in the cards BIOS.
August 19, 2008 6:44:36 PM

coozie7 said:
If I tried to touch the back of my HD4870, I`d lose my fingerprints! If you could hold a finger on the back of yours for several seconds it was running quite cool for a GPU (I think Human skin blisters at 70 degrees).
Not having a GTX260, I do n`t know how it behaves with no drivers loaded, but it sounds as if the fan was running at a high speed when you were reformatting and reinstalling because of a built-in failsafe in the cards BIOS.

Oh true I heard the 4850 4870 run really hot. For ur card, did it in any way damage anything?
Related resources
August 19, 2008 7:05:02 PM

my 3870 was running @ almost 90c... which to me is blistering hot.

have you tried rivatuner to see if you can boost your fan speed? 2 of the 3870's i have had a low 25% fixed speed that was not automatically kicking in under load.

I switched back to my original hd 3870 and it runs about 20c cooler and the fan works on its own w\ out help from rivatuner.
August 19, 2008 7:26:34 PM

Without the Graphics Card driver running the fan defaults to 100%. That is what you are experiencing. As soon as you get the driver installed the fan will slow way down, like to 30%. Whenever you boot up windows the fan will also run at 100% untill the OS Starts up the driver. (Boot file)
August 19, 2008 7:36:40 PM

when there is no os the cards run hot because they have no way of knowing they need to spin up. the 48xx series doesn't run hot because technically the ati engineers said it could run at like 120C i believe so they can survive it but i'm not sure about the Nvidia
August 19, 2008 7:48:08 PM

Ah ok that something I didnt know. Thanks alot guys :D .

I also have another topic Id like to get answered. Its on this forum but its called "Powering the 260 and CPU compatiblity"
!