Crippled Black Dog Breaks 3.3 on SB750 w ACC

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
LINK
http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/CPU/AMD-Phenom-8750-Black-Edition.html

AMD recently announced extension of its Black Edition processor lineup and as result dual cores K8 will be replaced with dual core and triple core K10 processors from 6000 and 8000 series.

Conclusion
We can freely say that this processor is at a moment, with 790FX/GX +SB750 chipset, thanks to one additional core, relatively affordable price and respectable overclock margin, in class with any Intel’s dual core processor. Video compression and rendering options will for certainly work faster than on any air-cooled dual core chip while number of frames per second in games will still be slightly lower or equal depending on referent processor’s clock.

Regardless on all said, this processor is far better choice for gamers and to all users that want fast and agile system in all exploitation conditions without necessity to pay high amount for unused resources. Performance scaling is exceptional and overclock is utmost simple operation thanks to unlocked multiplier. These are all good reasons to have one of processors from Black Edition series in your computer.
==============

Well, happy October.

It seems there is even more change in the AMD lineup. AMD's latest Price List shows only a few K8 Athlon64 x2 dualcores, all with latest B3 stepping, starting with 5000+ and up. That means they are making room for new Dual and Triple Cores based on K10.

There is a lot of talk and yet little seems known about the new Duals and Triples. This article shows oclox and several bencheez on a 2.4 Ghz 8750 Phenom Black Edition (unlocked) Triple Core. I have seen similar oclox (over 3.2Ghz+) with the 6500 Blackie Dual Core - but that's another story.

These chips are based on the newer K10 Phenom design architecture; so this is not just an overclock - there are also performance and feature options and advantages.

These chips use Socket AM2+, DDR2 1066, and will utilize AMD OverDrive utility including ACC Advanced Clock Calibration. A mobo with SB750 Southbridge is required to use AOD and ACC and can be found paired with either the 790FX or 790GX northbridge.

SB750 mobos may include additional multimedia features like support for HiDef, HTPC, BluRay, HDMI, multichannel sound, multi monitor, etc.

790FX is hi-perf chipset aimed at hiperf oclockers.
790GX chipset is more generally aimed at enthusiasts, gamers, and HTPC users; and usually carry ATI3300 onboard vid w sideport memory, plus they usually offer Dual PCIe2 x16 slots for discrete grafx or XFire options.
(see mobo specs at Gigabyte, MSI, Asus).

I was surprised to see these results, and I think you will be also.

Enjoy

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
LOL and I thought viral marketing was meant to be discreet. :lol:

Video compression and rendering options will for certainly work faster than on any air-cooled dual core chip...

Hmm...
divx.png
x264.png
3dsmax.png
cinebench.png

...while number of frames per second in games will still be slightly lower or equal depending on referent processor’s clock.

I guess this counts as slightly slower?

crysis.png
wic.png

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Thank you for those scores. Are those results at stock clock? For the triple 8750 that's 2.4. It's good to have relative results for comparison purposes.

x264 encoding is a known strong point of Phenom. I am actually pleasantly surprised at most of those results. esp. Crysis at medium quality. I often wonder if that will even run.

I posted this for information purposes for anyone interested. There's quite a perf boost with the oclock on this lil doggy. That really surprised me to see it go over 3.0 and beyond.

Do you happen to know the details of your posted results?
esp the Test setup?

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Yes, those are all stock scores for all CPUs tested. I just found it odd how that review can come to those conclusions without actually testing it against a higher clocked dual core CPU. Here is the full review: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/phenom-x3-8750.html

I'm not trying to bash the 8750BE, but that site has overhyped its capabilities. At the current price of ~$130 the 8750BE actually represents great value for someone looking for good multi-threading performance but doesn't want to spend $150+ on a QC CPU. It can often beat similarly priced C2Ds (say E7200/E7300) in multi-threaded apps, but it most certainly can not beat 'any air cooled dual core chip' in encoding/rendering as their claim, since an E8400 or better will beat it in these tasks.

I am not at all surprised to see the 8750BE overclocking so well - Phenom 9950BEs have overclocked just as high on SB750 mobos, so logically a 8750BE, with one less core to cool, should do even slightly better, all things being equal.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
x264 encoding a strong point of the phenom? bear in mind it is comparing a QUAD core processor to a DUAL core intel on that benchmark, and its certainly not twice as quick.....

3.4 Ghz stable is a very good result and the performance increase is considerable - the Phenom's do scale very well.

If they would all overclock easily (and without the additional voltage required) as the Intel chips, they would be a good proposition.

Unfortunatly all of my AMD rigs are not Phenom friendly so I am orphaned.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Have you tried cross-flashing BIOSes with similar motherboards?

Hmm... maybe I'll give you one of my brother's motherboards? Maybe that might work?

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
damnit...now I sorta wish I had an SB750 chipset so that later on I could upgrade to a cheap triple or quad core....wonder how the 8750BE OCs without the SB750 chipset....

LOL, I tried to be a little subtle about it, but yes, the conclusion, in my opinion seems a lil fanboy-ish, add on top of that the English is a little off...

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

Relatively speaking x264 encoding is a strength of Phenom. It may not necessarily beat Core 2 per clock but its a lot more competitive than divX/Xvid encoding, where Core 2 just blows it away.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Well, seems so. It has mainly the same syntax, except the AMD4Life!!!.
Ill send a letter to my favorite column in morning newspaper: "Did Turpit banned Thunderman?".

If so, well, i guess so. It is thunderman.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Well...
No matter what if your thinking of a new build your best off waiting untill next year,both Intel and AMD will have new products out (and prices always drop after Xmas).

Next years 45nm AMD products will be shipping for destops (read they are just now going to Servers) and a 3Ghz+ stock chip should be a lower in price than Intel.

Most people don't overclock or use more than one GFX card so a 3+ Ghz -dual core- CPU from either company is all most people need.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

Hard to tell - typical bios oclox can still be done. And has been done by others. But what typically happens is they get all they can in bios clox and then they try it with ACC - and usually get more with ACC.

And yes, like you indicate, the SB750 southbridge is the ticket to ACC - part of AMD Over Drive (AOD) - there are tonnage of esoteric (to most) settings in AOD, but also some EZ autimagic settings. I think eventually some super tweakers are going to discover something in all those settings. The utility itself is free.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Most people dont need anywhere near a 3ghz dual core. That is not counting the netburst dual cores. A intel core based cpu and a x2(there isnt a x4 dual core that is going to clock @ 3ghz stock) is WAY way way more than most people need.

Most people would still actually be fine on fast single core if they where actually made. Any just about any of the mordern dual cores is more than most people need. Apart from hardcore gamers/video/photo editing people and others that multitask like mad with VM's encoding and all other fun stuff the masses dont need anything more. Not unless they wanna flex there e-penis with worthless benchmarks

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Hey you guys, I was wondering where T'man was - I expected him to be here. But he's not me's not him - or whatever. And no I'm not that other guy either. I have been planning an AMD system for way too long - thought I was there until my truck wanted maintenance.

Apart from all dat stuff, I am just trying to share info - like I said, the cripple-triple, or the lame dog, all those names have been mentioned by other people - so I just formed the thread title from that cos it's a black edition = Crippled Black Dog. I think it's kinda cool, kinda punk, kinda yeh tell it like it is. I doubt AMD would adopt the title. But you never know. :)

Anyway information is better than no info or misinfo - misinfo is the worst. SO more comparison charts or any useful facts or info are totally welcome. Cos this lil doggy has been a mystery for awhile. If I find the dual-6500, I might post that up too.

I don't expect these to blow intel away. They are mainly valued as viable upgrades for people with dual cores thinking eventual quad kinda thoughts. I don't think too many want a quad yet, and you need some speed in games. So this chip is quad-based, and it oclox. That makes it interesting. We still are waiting for software overall.

When the hell was this review written? X264 r820 is very old (april i think). Current revision is r997. Also what was the source footage? filters used? x264 settings? A graph with no information is useless.

Shame on xbit for not including any of this information AND not including any current intel quad cores in the benchmarks.

edit: date:04/22/2008
Guess that answered my question

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

This is very true. Some think it will be a few years before we really require a quad. I think a dually is minimal because of background and basic multitasks. But I usually run one thing, and then the O/S runs behind it all. Sometimes it gets a little busy when I am working rather than goofing off.

This chip at stock speed is enough for many. At oclox it gets interesting. I would tend to oclok to 2.8 or 3.0 and just sit there all nice and stable with a little overhead left over for more clox if I wanted that - but I would tend to play safe at 2.9 rather than flash my e-penis - that's cute. The expression is cute - ummm, you know what I mean, huh. Yeh. Ok. (gigglezzz) I first heard that from some Australian oclokn maniac. FXwild-thing.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

I agree. It's useful as comparison - if you believe it. But without more real info and details of test, it's simply a table. I have seen some pretty tables that are meaningless. Accurate info with no bias is always best. That way, the truth is a simple fact, rather than hype, rather than fanboy flame troll garbage. No one can acquire information in the middle of a flamewar.

I welcome more comparative postings like that - more info is always better, more detail is always better. Truth be known, bottom line.

This review I linked to is also lacking in some detail - like what mobo was used?? more transparency is the ideal.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

We need to have THF Quote of the Day for phrases like this, unbelievable. Can you heard me all the way up there on that horse?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

No, turpit did not "banned" thunderman.

That would be very anti social of me. Trolls and shills must eat to.

Be a buddy. Feed the troll.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
There was some other guy mentioned somewhere - has a name kinda like 'samurai' or something? I dunno. It's seems that anything AMD is suspect of circumvention or subversion - I don't get it. That's my perhaps erroneous observation. And no I really don't want a discussion about it; hah! maybe a new thread? I have no idea what all this is about; seems like it has quite a history stewed in controversy. But, as I said, it's unfamiliar territory. Also seems OT? Must be pretty intense.

........ moving forward......... >>>

This is about information on a cpu that might be a halfway step between older dually and newer quad. One fading out as other is fading in. Any other comparative results, or comments, welcome.

^I think you are refering to Shakaru... or wait.... Shakira..... Shapoodle maybe? I forget how to spell his name.

Meh AMD is not subject to anything. You just have to remember that when people try to spread around false information, and normally that goes to the one who is not the performance king at the time, its not taken lightly. A lot of ppl want to see the facts, benchmarks and real world performance.

I am not suprsed to see the 8750BE OC better with a SB750. But I still have the same feelings. From what I have seen with Phenom there has been no set OC for all of their chips. Same can be said about Intel but there is more of a chance you get a Q6600 G0 that will OC to 3GHz on stock voltage.

This of course should change with Deneb since it seems they are able to get to at least 3GHz stock so maybe there will be a more set OC range for the Deneb based Phenoms.

I still think that once AMD gets the process to a more mature point triple cores will not be common and may cease to exist. They would need to meet a certain amount of bad quads to turn triple before it would be worth trying to sell.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

OCing really depends on HSF performance when it comes down to it. Both react to cooler performance by requiring more or less voltage to OC. Phenom's definitely does, better cooler you have, the lower the voltage required to hit certain clocks.

And I don't think the triple cores will cease to exist. There will always be dies with a bad core or weak core, especially toward the outer edges of the wafer.