New monitor advice please.

frankiemac

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I am on the lookout for a new monitor as my 3 year old has scratched the heck out of the screen of my current one with a screwdriver :cry: .

I have found one with a glass screen which I am attracted to for the obvious reasons, but I have no idea about specs etc, and this would be my first wide-screen monitor.

I use my PC for office apps and games, such as CoD4, Crysis etc. Looking at the specs below, would this monitor be good enough for gaming?

I'm not after huge resolutions etc, I have been happy enough with my 17" Acer AL1715, which was just a budget monitor.

The monitor:

Monitor Cosmetics: Black bezel with black stand and black rear cabinet
Glass Hardness: 8h
Optic Glass: Optic10
LCD: 22" active matrix, thin film transistor (TFT) LVDS
Pixel Pitch (mm): 0.282mm
Native Resolution: WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050
Scan Frequency: Horizontal: 30kHz - 80kHz Vertical: 60Hz - 75Hz
View Angle: Horizontal: 170° Vertical: 160°
Display Area (mm): 474 (H) x 296 (V)
Display Colour: 16.7 Million
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Brightness: 300 cd/m2
Response Time (Tr+Tf): 5ms
Speakers: 2 x 2 Watts per channel
Anti-theft Security: Kensington® Lock
Compatibility: Windows 95/98/98SE/Me/NT4/2000/XP, Mac OS, Macintosh,
Linux Plug & Play - DDC1/2B
Input Video Signal: Analogue: (Connector: 15 pin D-sub) 0.7 Vp-p separate sync.
TTL level, RGB analogue, Detachable cable
Digital: DVI, Detachable cable
Input power source: AC 100-240V, 50-60Hz
Power management (EPA Compliant): Normal operation: < 49W Off/Suspend/Stand-by mode: < 1W
Operation Environment: Temperature: 5 - 40°C Humidity: 20% - 90%
Tilt Angle: Max. Forward tilt 5° Max. backward tilt: 15°
Weight: Net: 5.3kg
Dimensions (W x D x H): 512 x 160 x 405mm
VESA Wall Mount Compliant: 100mm x 100mm
Warranty: Three year on-site exchange

Thanks for your help...

Ebtoulson

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
everything looks good to me except maybe the viewing angle. Another thing you may have to take into consideration is the glare since its glass (didn't see anything about that ..but i may have over looked it)

also thats pretty hard for glass the avg piece of glass is only 6-7. Too bad that screwdriver is still 8-9 on the mohs scale of hardness.
You need something like an asus ls201 (http://gizmodo.com/337529/asus-ls201-resists-crossbow-arrow-impact)

TorQueMoD

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Who makes the monitor you posted? I personally thing Samsung and LG are the best.

Also, keep in mind that a monitor's Native resoultion is what you typically want to run all your programs at in order for things to look good. What that means is that you have to run your games at a 1680x1050 resolution which is fine for anything like Team Fortress 2, but Crysis, not so much unless you have a beast of a system. I'm running a 3ghz quad core with an 8800gts and 4 gigs of ram and Crysis is still fairly slow at 1680x1050.

Finally, a monitor with speakers built in just means its going to be bulkier on your desktop unless you actually plan to use the speakers (which are most likely crap)

frankiemac

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

The monitor is made by (well imported from their Taiwan factory) an English company called Edge10.

It seems a reasonable price to me at £135, available here: http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=26775#

The company website is http://www.edge.com

TorQueMoD - Interesting comments about the resolution. I have an Intel dual core and an 8800GT, and that coped with Crysis pretty well on XP at what I thought was a decent res. (Can't remember off the top of my head what I was playing it at).

I have no idea at all though about what difference (if any) I'd experience with a widescreen res...

Looking forward to Far Cry 2, hope my PC is up to it. Seems like I'll meet reccomended specs, but I wonder how the monitor will effect it...?

PS, I won't be using the monitors speakers, I have some reasonable ones already.