New build help - won't post

nyar13

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I am putting together a new system, and am having trouble right at the start. Components are:

GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
GeForce GTX 260 PCI express
COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-750-ACAA-A1 750W ATX12V
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS

I started by assembling everything in the case and attaching all the front panel and fan connectors. When I try to POST, the fans spin up briefly, the PHASE-LED lights on the motherboard all flash on, and then it goes quiet. This will repeat every 5 seconds or so, but doesn't get any further. No beeps, no other indications.

In troubleshooting so far, I have removed everything from the case with mobo on cardboard box with same result, have reduced memory to one stick and alternated stick, have reseated CPU. Same thing happens.

If I remove the 8-pin (or 4-pin have tried both) second power connection, the fans will stay spinning and the PHASE-LED stays lit, but nothing happens after that. This is exactly the same behavior if I leave the 8-pin power connector in and remove the CPU (have been removing pieces and attempting power to try and narrow down the issue).

Does this sound like a mobo problem? Any other troubleshooting steps to recommend at this stage?

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
sounds like you just got a dead mobo. do you know if there is a problem with your PSU? like have you tried it with a different computer?

nyar13

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
PSU is brand new, and untested.

I have speaker connection (and all front panel connections) hooked up, no beeps at all.

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
well if it doesnt beep that means its not posting (usually). and if it wont post, you have to return it. unless for some reason the psu is not outputting power correctly, but it sounds more like its the mobo.

bilbat

Splendid
Found something else that may be trouble - what sSpec# is your processor?
If it's "SLAPK" this is not a problem (C0 stepping); if it's "SLB9K" you've got an E0 step CPU, and board probably shipped w/original release F1 BIOS - E0 stepping Wolfdale wasn't supported until F2; you may need to beg/borrow/steal an older processor, just to use to flash the F2 BIOS...

Sorry to be the bearer of evil tidings...

Good Luck!

Bill

BTW - FWIW, I will have the same #@^% problem, as I have a DS5, which I know didn't ship with the requisite BIOS, as to support the E0 stepping of the 9550 I need a 'beta' BIOS. Intend to build a cheap Ubuntu box to run alongside my workstation to avoid internet exposure of my windoze, so will probably buy a cheap CPU for it in advance, just to do the flash & drop it back into the box for a couple months...

wtfchuck

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
If the bios version is not the issue. Try posting with an older ram stick if you have one to get in to the bios, you need to raise the dimm voltage to +3 for that ram kit. I have the same kit and mobo and had the same issue.