cooler - pins - help!

chrobi

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
hi, the cpu fan made lots of strange noise...i tried to remove it to see if there was too much dust on it or something well I removed it but now I can't put it back into place as the pins don't want to go in :( I gave up after an hour of trying to put it into place.....
can someone advise me on what to do please? (the mother board is in the case with all the other components (if that matters))

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
it sounds like when you removed the heatsink, you also removed the cpu (stuck to the bottom of the heatsink).

if this is the case, DO NOT try to force it in, you will destroy the pins on the cpu. Instead, remove the cpu from the heatsink (it is just stuck, it WILL come off, may need a small flat screwdriver to carefully pry it off). then, lift the lever on the socket, reinstall the cpu, lower the lever, and then reinstall the heatsink.

YourGodOnEarth

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Your motherboard may be flexing too much as you try to push the heat sinks mounting pins into place.

Those pin-attached coolers can be a real PITA to install with the motherboard still in the computer case.

It's always best to just remove the motherboard and install the heatsink with it out of the case.
Doing it in the case when it's flexing only invites damage to the motherboard, and also makes you want to go on a killing spree.....

It may seem like a pain to do, but if you had taken to motherboard out to begin with, you'd have been done with the job long ago, and with far less frustration and worry. ;)

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I'd personally get rid of the push pin cooler all together, and pick up one with a back plate. (the HSF screws into the backplate) Otherwise the suggestion to remove the MB from the case to push those pins through till they lock is great.

chrobi

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
thanks, I'll try that...... when I was trying to push it in, one or the pins well it bend a bit but i managed to get it back into place - it;s still attached etc.... does this matter/will it make it more difficult/impossible ?

chrobi

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
sorry for posting another post but I can't edit the one above..... @IH8U if i'd get one with a back plate....will I also need to take the mb out in order to get it in?

I urge you to remove the mobo from the case first. It is the only way to be certain that all 4 pushpins are solidly through the mobo and fixed.

The secret to mounting pushpins is to push on diagonal pairs at the same time.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Yes you have to take the mobo out for mounting a backplate.

It is also wise to take the mobo out for push type as well, because your motherboard flexes and bottoms out before the pin is in.

chrobi

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
ok, i've had enough..the pins just keep bending..... can someone please tell me which cooler (with the backplate) should i get from pcworld.co.uk
CPU: core 2 duo E6850 (775) @3Ghz