new memory causing problems

iammoon

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Hi there. Just added an additional 2GB (2x 1GB) of G.Skill DDR2 PC2 6400 to my already existing 2GB (2x 1GB) of exact same memory. Motherboard is an ASUS M2N SLI-32-DELUXE with AMD 64 X2 6000+ cpu.

After installing memory, I started playing Fallout 3 and a couple hours in the system threw a BSOD and dumped memory. This was the first time I experienced a problem but since then I have had another BSOD, and random system program crashes like Windows Explorer and such.

What I know and what I have tried so far:
-Mobo supports at least 4 gigs of RAM (8GB total I believe)

-I ran memtest with all four sticks installed and got memory errors. I was running 4 instances of memtest since it wont test more than like 750-800MB in one instance and recommended running multiples.

-Ran memtest with only the old memory in both the Primary Dual Channel slots (1 & 3) and then the secondary slots (2 & 4) and there were no errors. Was running two instances of memtest testing like 800something megs each. Performed the exact same set of test using only new memory and got no errors. Problems only seems to happen when all four are together.

-Timing is set automatically in BIOS (something like 5-5-5-2t) and I have voltage manually set to 2.0 or 2.1 at the moment. Increasing voltage seemed to help delay the problem and may indeed be the solution but I've never been very big into OCing and consequentially don't know a whole lot about safe levels.

SYSTEM INFO: (if it helps)
-ASUS AI M2N32-SLI-DELUXE mobo
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0Ghz
-4GB G.Skill DDR2 PC6400 memory (new and the problem)
-EVGA Nvidia 9800 GTX (this is also a new component)
-300GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 3.0 7200rpm
-500GB Seagate Barracude SATA 3.0 7200rpm
-700W OCZ PSU

Please let me know if you have any ideas that could help as I can't seem to figure it out.

iammoon

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Well I still have not had any memory problems that I can think of since upping the voltage. Seems like that fixed it. Thought I would throw that in there in case any one has the same problem.