Unstable 6gb

footclan

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Hello. I recently bought a kit of corsair xms2 ram - 2 x 2048gb. I added this to my Corsair xms2 2 x 1024gb. Both ram sets have the exact same timings.

Now when I put all 4 in, it wouldn't boot. So I researched and found out that some, or most mobo's don't like using 4 modules at once. I ended up underclocking it form 800 to 667 mhz.

This seemed to run fine. Memtest came up problem free.

Then I was trying to OC my pc for the first time, and small increments were freezing on me even after stress tests were passing for hours. Ended up bringing it down to stock CPU and it seemed ok.

Now, I thought it was ok, but it then started freezing in windows and music would be slightly choppy at times. I took out the 2 x 1gb sticks, put the 2 x 2gb up to 800 and haven't had a problem yet.

I want to know if and how I can make it stable with 6gbs. Would I raise a voltage and which one(s)? I have stock mobo cooling, so if I were to raise voltage, would I get a chipset (NB) heatsink or something like those dominator air fans for the ram?

And one last one. Would 6gbs at 667 be better than the 4gbs at 800mhz? Any advice on what I should do? I am planning on OCing my CPU. While I was trying to do it earlier I thought it was the CPU, but it was obviously the ram.

CPU = E4500 dual core stock @ 2.20
Mobo = Asus P5N-E SLI
WinXP 64bit
Ultra X-Finity 600 watt ATX

Any other specs you need to know just ask.

Thanks!

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Not a fan of Asus, especially with the nVidia chipsets.
Those boards run ok at stock with 2 sticks of ram.
One of the things I try to get is ram that runs at 4.4.4.12 at 1.8v hard to find and often a bit higher in price, but they tend to over clock better on my P35 based motherboard. The P35 controller is a bit better at ram control than the nVidia chipsets.
I you want to stay with that board then get a faster cpu, and clock your sticks at 667.

footclan

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
I just bought ram, a tb hdd and if anything (and if it works in SLI) I'm next going to buy an 8800 ultra to go with my 8800 gtx and a new PSU.

So I'm definitely not buying a new mobo anytime soon. I wanna OC my cpu and see know what the best config, setup for the ram I have now is.

TRENDING THREADS