Sign in with
Your question

Black screen while playing due to OC damage?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 6, 2009 9:08:28 PM

Hey guys,

long time ago i overclocked the cpu to 3.6ghz (1.55v), and it stayed semi stable for 1 year, i got used to it, but about two weeks ago while playing different games my screen randomly went to standby and sound loop and then lock up, so i had to restart the pc, i downclocked the cpu to 3.4ghz (1.45v) and it worked fine for around one week, now its happening again, so i decided to downclock the cpu to 3ghz (1.37v),and It Happened Again. i went to the bios and loaded default options (stock) and guess what?....it happened again, monitor went stanby and sound loop, lock up while gaming for about 15 mins :( 

What is causing this problem? is it the mobo or the cpu? would clearing the cmos-changing the OS fix the problem?

i have the latest graphics drivers
latest bios
windows vista updated
checked for overheating
replaced monitor
replaced PSU
checked power saving options
replaced the gfx card
cleaned the mobo, gfx card, cpu heatsink
im using integrated souncard

temps:
mcp- 56c
cpu- 30c idle, 55c load
gpu- 50c idle, 70c load

My pc:
GPU: evga gts 250 512mb
CPU: C2D e6600
Mobo: BFG 680i lt
RAM: 4gb ddr2 800mhz (2x1gb patriot extereme performance, 2x1gb value ram) memory not overclocked (unlinked)
case: nzxt lexa
cpu heatsink: thermaltake big typhoon
HDD: WD 250gb
PSU: BFG 650gs 650watts

PLEASE i need your help im so desperate
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2009 10:53:52 AM

Temps are fine, and if you're at stock settings now, so you've either got a cpu/mb problem (as you've suggested) or something else going on.

Some of the events you describe are failures during games. The other failures have no event description, so I don't know what the computer was doing when it failed at those times. Might be games, might be something else running.

My concern here is you are changing cpu speeds in an attempt to solve the problem. That's certainly to be applauded if the cpu is at fault and if reducing speeds will correct the problem, but if it's not then that course of action is not relevant and will have no impact on system stability.

Either your cpu and/or your motherboard is going through it's death rattle, or it's not, so let's find out. Run Prime95 for 30-60 minutes. If you can guarantee 100% failure when gaming after 15 minutes, then giving the cpu a load for longer should give you an indication of cpu failure. Longer run times are better then short.

Keep graphics, card drivers, games, etc out of this process. Record your voltages and both mb and cpu temps as you done above.

If it never falls over no matter how many times or how long you hit it with Prime95 and all the indicators are within limits, then you can eliminate the cpu and mb.

After Prime95 with no failures, I'd also try PCMark05 as well. Prime95 for 30 minutes, PCMark05, Prime95 for 30 minutes, etc.

Still good? Substitute 3DMark06 for PCMark05 in the above routine.

Still good now? Play your games. Look to your video card and/or drivers for the problem. PSU is the only other component I'd check, if in doubt.

Anyway, that's what I'd do.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2009 12:40:30 PM

Quote:
......unless you follow the myth that you must raise voltage to overclock, which seems to be what a lot of people think around here.

Yes, indeed. It seems to be trendy, perhaps?
Related resources
September 7, 2009 4:41:01 PM

thanks guys for the quick replys,

im running prime 95 right now, i cleared the cmos before starting prime95, ill keep you informed
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2009 9:20:41 PM

Any good with Prime95?
September 7, 2009 9:24:19 PM

ok 2 hours in prime 95 and everything OK
6 loops 3dmark vantage OK
2 loops pcmark05 OK
20 loops crysis benchmark (cpu and gpu) OK
3 hours playing crysis wars OK

temps:
cpu- 43c load
gpu- 65c load
mcp- 62c
case temp- 32c hot day
core voltage prime95 load 1.296-1.304
idle 1.312

it seems like clearing the cmos fixed the blackscreens but ill keep you updated
September 7, 2009 9:29:27 PM

seabreeze said:
Any good with Prime95?

it looks like its working fine :) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2009 9:39:12 PM

wikipoo2 said:
it seems like clearing the cmos fixed the blackscreens but ill keep you updated

Good results. Give it a thrashing with your games for a few days, then if everything's good, increase it to your overclock settings. It might have all been just a bad dream...
September 7, 2009 9:43:13 PM

seabreeze said:
Good results. Give it a thrashing with your games for a few days, then if everything's good, increase it to your overclock settings. It might have all been just a bad dream...

THANKS SO MUCH for all your help, i really apreciate it,,,,,, thanks for the tips,
just one question, do you believe that clearing the cmos solved the problem?
and one more thing, is my mobo and cpu ok?
!